PDA

View Full Version : French tennis fans?

0range
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Anyone here from France?

I'm just curious about what's all the bad blood between Gasquet and Forget? Can anyone elaborate??? What's been said in the french media??

slice bh compliment
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
French tennis fans? All I can think of is a bunch of little kids yelling, " AlleeeeeeeeeeeeEEEz!"

Kidding. I'm curious, too, I've always like French tennis. I wonder if Forget is really disappointed and angry ... or if he's letting the gutlessness slide. Or if the blisters were just so bad.

I'd love to hear all about it, but I'm afraid good men like Forget and Noah will take the high road and let Richie off with a lesson learned.

NicolasH
04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm Swiss (so I'm neutral) from what I've read in the French papers: Guy Forget said something to the effect of that you can't force someone to play if they don't want to, that as a coach he can't teach desire, that from his perspective he was always excited and motivated to play for his country...

I haven't read anything about Gasquet's response, I know that he hasn't always seen eye to eye with the French Tennis Federation.

As a side note, in general it's not unheard of that a player doesn't see eye to eye with his own Tennis Federation. Unlike the U.S. most European countries have a National Tennis program. Juniors who show promise are picked and supported through coaching, travel, sponsorship etc.
Sometimes certain players are dropped and another player is favored etc. The National Federation expects that its players play for the Davis Cup team but this doesn't always happen. For instance a junior who is a late bloomer or wasn't part of the National system may not want to support the National Tennis federation. In the U.S. everything is private, juniors get their own coach or go to tennis schools like Hopman, Bolletieri etc. Anyway, just some insight into why European players have a history of arguing with their own Tennis Federation.

Cheers,
n.

0range
04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I think it all started even before the 08 Davis Cup QF.

Gasquet were asked last year at Monte Carlo if he's "still angry at Guy (Forget)". He was also asked in another interview (also at least a year ago) whether he'd still support Forget to continue being the captain and he didn't say yes.

So.... what is up!? what is the whole story? I want details!!

0range
04-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Nicolas I just saw your comment after I posted mine.

Do you know what happened even before this year's DC QF? Doesn't seem like other French DC players have problems with Forget.

NicolasH
04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
After losing to the U.S. Gasquet's dad called for Forget to step down and for Noah to be captain again. He also said that if a player doesn't show the results he's being removed and they should do the same with the captain.

The french public and media looked to the French #1 player to be the leader of the team. Gasquet is 22 and perhaps not ready to assume this role. In general he hasn't acted like a team member (sending out text messages during the matches etc.)

Gasquet's dad was mad because Forget didn't protect Gasquet. Forget could have said, it's a captain's decision that Gasquet would play the 2nd match on day 3. Instead he said that Gasquet told him that he couldn't guarantee a top performance against Roddick. Forget said that he would never play someone if they didn't believe in themselves etc.

After his loss at Monte Carlo Llodra also said that he felt bad that the team didn't act like a unit. He said that he was disappointed that everything is being discussed out in the open and that he wished that players were more protected. He also said that he wished that Gasquet's dad wouldn't have said the things he did.

Cheers,
n.

0range
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
From Llodra's Monte Carlo post match interview (http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=49075), it seems like Llodra was disappointed that everyone in the Davis Cup talked to the press after they left US; the original agreement among the members was to stay united and not to talk about what happened.

And it seemed like Richard's dad talked the most lol.

Personally I think Forget is a good captain, Gasquet is under too much pressure (http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=42507)... I dont' know whether to think that Gasquet is a big baby or to feel sorry for him, and Gasquet's dad should let his son handle his own problems.

NicolasH
04-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi Nicolas I just saw your comment after I posted mine.

Do you know what happened even before this year's DC QF? Doesn't seem like other French DC players have problems with Forget.

France played Romania in the first round and according to Gasquet's dad, Richard did Guy Forget a favor by playing. Forget could have played any of the lesser French players like Simon, Mahut or Benneteau (guys who dream of representing their country according to Gasquet's dad) and they would have been able to beat the Romanian players. Instead Guy Forget asked Gasquet to play.

Gasquet's dad also addressed several other items:

- The text messaging (during the matches) is a generational thing.
- Richard isn't like Llodra and has his own temperament (not cheering during matches). He said that Sampras and Edberg weren't pumping their fists to encourage their team mates.

All that stuff can probably be chalked up to a dad trying to protect his son.

Cheers,
n.

0range
04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
After losing to the U.S. Gasquet's dad called for Forget to step down and for Noah to be captain again. He also said that if a player doesn't show the results he's being removed and they should do the same with the captain.

Dad called?

...it's like Richard's 12 and is being bullied at school.

0range
04-22-2008, 11:48 PM
France played Romania in the first round and according to Gasquet's dad, Richard did Guy Forget a favor by playing. Forget could have played any of the lesser French players like Simon, Mahut or Benneteau (guys who dream of representing their country according to Gasquet's dad). Instead Guy Forget asked Gasquet to play.

Gasquet's dad also addressed several other items:

- The text messaging (during the matches) is a generational thing.
- Richard isn't like Llodra and has his own temperament (not cheering during matches). He said that Sampras and Edberg weren't pumping their fists to encourage their team mates.

All that stuff can probably be chalked up to a dad trying to protect his son.

Cheers,
n.

What do you think? What's your opinion of Gasquet? You think the french media is partial?

I mean obviously Gasquet is one of my top favourite player otherwise I wouldn't be starting this thread... but I think even if he got such a great game and talent, if he doesn't make adjustment to his personality things are only gonna get worse for him. Think of all those situations he and other people put him in.

NicolasH
04-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Guy Forget and Richard Gasquet have a bit of a rocky history.
After the French lost to Russia in the QF in 2007, Forget said that Gasquet wasn't a good 'leader'.

After the loss to the U.S. Gasquet said that "...Guy Forget made a mistake during the press conference (in not protecting Gasquet) and that it wasn't the first time that Guy had made a mistake. It's very important that the players are protected after a loss."

Then he also said that "Guy is a good captian, apart from that mistake"

Personally, I don't know how injured Gasquet really was. He said that he had tendinitis in his knee. I've played when I was injured and I've also played on teams and I see the point where you say: "I'm not 100%, I think my team mate has a better chance of winning today."
Perhaps Richard didn't want to face Roddick on a fast court against a partisan crowd and not feeling 100% with the Davis Cup Rubber on the line... I don't know... However I do think that either you're well enough to play or you don't play at all.

Cheers,
n.