PDA

View Full Version : Will Safin ever be top50 again???

WayneCM
04-23-2008, 02:23 AM
The last time he progressed past the second round of a masters series or GS was Aus 07'... His record is very poor, he finds it difficult to even string 2 wins together, my question as previously stated is will he ever regain a top 50 spot??? I honestly can't see him winning even small tournaments, let alone Masters or GS's... I'm not bashing, i like Safin and am a fan but he seems like he's about done as a upper tier player.

l_gonzalez
04-23-2008, 02:32 AM
It's mostly a mental problem for him... I seriously doubt he can come back to top 50, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. He played good tennis in his 1st round at MC against Malisse, but he can't seem to keep the form running. Maybe he just needs a lucky break at a tournament.

PascalMariaFan
04-23-2008, 02:47 AM
His game is pathetically one-dimensional. The only talent he brings to the court is consistent ground strokes. Unfortunately for him, so does everyone in the top 100.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop out of the top 100 (if he hasn't already). His athleticism is only getting worse, and the quality of opponent is getting better.

0range
04-23-2008, 02:56 AM
^^^ what do you mean by his game is one-dimensional? I don't see it.

BTW he does not have consistent ground stroke. He makes a lot of unforced errors these days.

PascalMariaFan
04-23-2008, 02:57 AM
It's mostly a mental problem for him... I seriously doubt he can come back to top 50, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. He played good tennis in his 1st round at MC against Malisse, but he can't seem to keep the form running. Maybe he just needs a lucky break at a tournament.I'm afraid this diagnosis that Safin fans like to use of "brain problems" is total crap.

He can't construct a point. He never could, and he never will.
It's tough for me to listen to people proclaim him as a talent when his comfort zone lies in only one part of the game.

Leublu tennis
04-23-2008, 03:06 AM
I am not writing him off yet. He will be out of the top 100 next week but has now been into the second round in the last two tournaments. Malisse is no big deal but Ferrero is still up there so the wins were good. A lot better than he has been doing for the past year. A few steps at a time?

PascalMariaFan
04-23-2008, 03:11 AM

BTW he does not have consistent ground stroke. He makes a lot of unforced errors these days.He hits the same shots every point. Deep, flat, 3/4 pace balls.
Almost every point he plays consists of him hitting a few cross court ground strokes, then sending one long.
He doesn't have point-ending strokes, only rally strokes. Poor footwork, no subtle grip changes to take advantage of high balls or short balls.

Take him away from the baseline, or even give him some junk balls, like Santoro, Roddick and Federer like to do, and he's out of his comfort zone.

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-23-2008, 03:19 AM
The last time he progressed past the second round of a masters series or GS was Aus 07'... His record is very poor, he finds it difficult to even string 2 wins together, my question as previously stated is will he ever regain a top 50 spot??? I honestly can't see him winning even small tournaments, let alone Masters or GS's... I'm not bashing, i like Safin and am a fan but he seems like he's about done as a upper tier player.

not after the way he played today, you're right, it seems so difficult for the guy to string 2 wins together, i struggle to see how he was ever number 1!

HyperHorse
04-23-2008, 05:38 AM
If people can't see what's different with Safin now compared to when he won the Oz Open back in '05,
I'm not even going to waste my time explaining things.

Lee James
04-23-2008, 05:40 AM
not after the way he played today, you're right, it seems so difficult for the guy to string 2 wins together, i struggle to see how he was ever number 1!

Watch the tape of him against Sampras at the us open in2000 , and the tape of him against Federer at the aussie open in 05.

my_forehand
04-23-2008, 05:45 AM
*SPOILER: highlight the white text*

Safin got owned by Ferrer.

I highly doubt it, despite his result against Ferrer ;)

pound cat
04-23-2008, 06:26 AM
As long as his ranking is so low, he will continue to get lousy draws and is setting himself up to lose early. But he plays for the applause of the audience, and playing challengers is not an option. So there he is. Maybe in one tournament all of his opponents will retire and he will get into the semi's. Meanwhile, prepare for more of the ticket-selling, fan frustrating tennis as he continues his trip around the world staying in nice hotels and eating in great restaurants. And still endorsing Rolex Adidas, and tennis rackets as far as I know.

Good for him.

Wuornos
04-23-2008, 06:33 AM
I don't see why not. Based on what I have seen I think he could make it back into the top 30.

Not much higher than that though.

Regards

Tim

Mikael
04-23-2008, 06:46 AM
The last time he progressed past the second round of a masters series or GS was Aus 07'...

Not quite.. he made the third round at Wimbledon last year. Saw both his matches there, he was looking sharp... of course he was very lucky with the draw... playing de Voest and then Qureshi, before falling to Roger.

tennis_hand
04-23-2008, 06:47 AM
I always see Safin's shots as very slow. is it really slow or is it because his big size?

Safin is also a 2 Slams winner. better than Roddick who has only won 1 Slam. even if he retires now, he most likely would be better than Roddick.

Some people say he wins every 4 years. if that holds true, then he will come back next year 2009. lol.

btw, asking whether he can return to top 50 is the right question to ask about him. Not another question asking whether he is gonna win this Masters or another GS.

babolatking
04-23-2008, 09:11 AM
His game is pathetically one-dimensional. The only talent he brings to the court is consistent ground strokes. Unfortunately for him, so does everyone in the top 100.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop out of the top 100 (if he hasn't already). His athleticism is only getting worse, and the quality of opponent is getting better.

He is 93 currently

BigT
04-23-2008, 10:08 AM
how was he even playing in Miami? He wasn't given a wildcard, and didn't have to qualify? he was ranked in the 80's then...

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
I've always like his free spirit, but no, I don't think he will be back in the top 50. Not because he doesn't have the ability, but that he doesn't have the hard work ethic to get in there and get it done: fitness, commitment and drive.

ShcMad
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
It's mostly a mental problem for him... I seriously doubt he can come back to top 50, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. He played good tennis in his 1st round at MC against Malisse, but he can't seem to keep the form running. Maybe he just needs a lucky break at a tournament.

It might have been a mental problem for him back in the days (2004, 2005), but nowadays it's not a mental issue anymore. Seriously, people need to stop blaming Safin's mentality for not being able to win these days. That is NOT HIS MAIN ISSUE THESE DAYS.

Please go download a match from 2005 and compare it with today's Safin. His movement and game have deteriorated a lot since then. His mentality was ALWAYS weak, but back then at least he was able to win 2 matches in a row EVEN WITH THE "MENTAL PROBLEM".

thalivest
04-23-2008, 11:13 AM
He is starting to win some first round matches. It is possible he could be in the top 50 again at some point. He will never be in the top 20 or even top 30 again though. I think retirement probably isnt too far off for him.

spiritdragon
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
*SPOILER: highlight the white text*

Safin got owned by Ferrer.

I highly doubt it, despite his result against Ferrer ;)

^lol, thats cool.

i think safin will definetely be back in the top 50 by the end of this year.

herosol
04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
It might have been a mental problem for him back in the days (2004, 2005), but nowadays it's not a mental issue anymore. Seriously, people need to stop blaming Safin's mentality for not being able to win these days. That is NOT HIS MAIN ISSUE THESE DAYS.

Please go download a match from 2005 and compare it with today's Safin. His movement and game have deteriorated a lot since then. His mentality was ALWAYS weak, but back then at least he was able to win 2 matches in a row EVEN WITH THE "MENTAL PROBLEM".

exactly.
my god safin has been breaking and screaming since god knows when

Oricus
04-23-2008, 11:56 PM

That's not right, he made it to the third round of Wimbledon last year.

rounick
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
The man is trying.Give him a break.He's been through a lot of *****.He beat Berdych last week,a top 10er,coming back from 2 sets to love down for the first time in his carreer.
I think he still has physical issues,although he could use a different training approach as well,the same drills and plain old hitting is boring and doesn't offer anything to him.
I do bedliev he'll be inside the top 50 before the indoor season and 2009 will be a good year for him ,being an aquarius and all!..

pound cat
04-24-2008, 03:44 AM
how was he even playing in Miami? He wasn't given a wildcard, and didn't have to qualify? he was ranked in the 80's then...

He sells tickets, and tournaments are all about $$$$. He'd better be careful or pretty soon he'll be selling tickets at the ticket booth, although that would draw huge ticket sales too.

pound cat
04-24-2008, 03:50 AM
The man is trying.Give him a break.He's been through a lot of *****.He beat Berdych last week,a top 10er,coming back from 2 sets to love down for the first time in his carreer.
I think he still has physical issues,although he could use a different training approach as well,the same drills and plain old hitting is boring and doesn't offer anything to him.
I do bedliev he'll be inside the top 50 before the indoor season and 2009 will be a good year for him ,being an aquarius and all!..

You are absolutley right and understand where he's coming from. Whenever he has lost in the past he has always said he was trying, and I believe him. Just because he sometimes fades in and out of the match, Doesn't mean he's stopped trying. That's just the way he is.

His entire career became very difficult as soon as he won USO in 00. He has often said he was too young for such a huge win and just couldn't handle it. despite the celebrity, tennis has not always been his friend.

War, Safin!
04-24-2008, 07:42 AM
I just had a cursory glance at Safin's Slam/Masters results from the last match he played in 2005 up to yesterday.
In 28 matches, apart from two quarter-finals (Madrid and Paris) he's gotten to the 4th round twice, the 3rd round once, the 2nd round twelve times and gone out in the 1st round ten times.

Shocker.

LuckyR
04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Safin will never play top 50 tennis again. Why? Because he is totally unmotivated to do so. Listen to his explanation:

Safin, whose career earnings top $13 million US "I have everything what I need. I have a good life. I'm flying first class."

Safin said the alternative would be working in a club in Moscow as a teaching pro.

"I prefer to be playing tennis and be alone than to be working in a club from 9 to 9 and having two kids to feed and a wife that is never happy."

jgreen06
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
ya he will probably do well in one slam sooner or later and put him back in top 50

z-money
04-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Safin is my boy! but he sucks lol i hate it he is done

War, Safin!
04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Safin will never play top 50 tennis again. Why? Because he is totally unmotivated to do so. Listen to his explanation:

Safin, whose career earnings top $13 million US "I have everything what I need. I have a good life. I'm flying first class."

Safin said the alternative would be working in a club in Moscow as a teaching pro.

"I prefer to be playing tennis and be alone than to be working in a club from 9 to 9 and having two kids to feed and a wife that is never happy."
Yeah, but he's going to end up being the latter cos the big money has gone for good and the high-life is/has also pretty much gone for Safin.

Djokovicfan4life
04-24-2008, 12:53 PM

BTW he does not have consistent ground stroke. He makes a lot of unforced errors these days.

PMF is a troll, just ignore him/her.........

War, Safin!
04-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Give him a break?
Been through a lot of *****???
Like what?????????????

He had an operation on his knee 21/2 years ago now - he's lost it.
Face it and stop making excuses for him.

LuckyR
04-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, but he's going to end up being the latter cos the big money has gone for good and the high-life is/has also pretty much gone for Safin.

Well he did mention that he can't afford the food at Wimbledon...

h7hugo
04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
he's one of the most talented players today, but like somepeople said: He has a mental problem that efects their talent..

This situation happended when he was nr 1 mbut he could deal with that easially than he does today

D-Generated
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
You people seriously have no idea what a knee injury, especially one that was so bad like his, does to one....you have absolutely no idea...