PDA

View Full Version : Comparisons of pro level and club level

christos_liaskos
04-23-2008, 05:03 AM
This thread isnt about how well a club player can do against a pro. Its about the similar situations that the two might find themselves in a match and whether they would have similar emotions or reactions.

Example: watching some Federer matches where he is losing to lesser ranked opponents where he should be clearly winning but doesnt seem botherd that he is to such players, I find myself thinking 'why doesnt he seem bothered? If I am losing to someone who I clearly should be beating I almost get embarassed and force myself to try more or if not, I end up having a bad reaction like yelling'. I dont bother posting these sort of things in the results section because I know someone will reply with 'well thats why Federer is no1 and you are a nobody etc etc'.

But surely the pros have similar emotions to us in such situations? Obviouslt the level of tennis is much higher, the speed, the reactions, the depth, spin and speed they hit the ball at are all at a much higher level. But in tight situations dont they experience the same emotions?

Surely as club players we can relate to some situations that the pros go through from our own experiences on court. Its not necessarily about the level of tennis, more about being it the heat of the battle and being in a tight situation.

roddick89
04-24-2008, 07:39 AM
They probably do have similar feelings to us club players but they just handle it better, sounds simple but i'm sure its anything but simple.

LuckyR
04-24-2008, 08:43 AM
This thread isnt about how well a club player can do against a pro. Its about the similar situations that the two might find themselves in a match and whether they would have similar emotions or reactions.

Example: watching some Federer matches where he is losing to lesser ranked opponents where he should be clearly winning but doesnt seem botherd that he is to such players, I find myself thinking 'why doesnt he seem bothered? If I am losing to someone who I clearly should be beating I almost get embarassed and force myself to try more or if not, I end up having a bad reaction like yelling'. I dont bother posting these sort of things in the results section because I know someone will reply with 'well thats why Federer is no1 and you are a nobody etc etc'.

But surely the pros have similar emotions to us in such situations? Obviouslt the level of tennis is much higher, the speed, the reactions, the depth, spin and speed they hit the ball at are all at a much higher level. But in tight situations dont they experience the same emotions?

Surely as club players we can relate to some situations that the pros go through from our own experiences on court. Its not necessarily about the level of tennis, more about being it the heat of the battle and being in a tight situation.

Because he is "playing through" mono. His expectations are very low, so he doesn't get down on himself.

raiden031
04-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Probably because as a top pro, Fed can tell when his inferior opponent is playing very well, even well enough to give any top pro a hard time that day. Or maybe because his opponent, regardless of their ranking is still a pro, meaning they are better than 99.999% of the players in the world and so they are capable of playing top level tennis and he knows that.

At club levels, when you lose to people you should beat, its probably because you are playing terribly, not because your opponent is playing so well. At least thats how it almost always is in my case.

Djokovicfan4life
04-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Because he is "playing through" mono. His expectations are very low, so he doesn't get down on himself.

Fed's expectations are low? I'm sorry, but that's just ********.

Every day 10 "new" threads pop up on Federer's "unexplainable" losses. He said it best himself when he said that he "created a monster".

LuckyR
04-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Every day 10 "new" threads pop up on Federer's "unexplainable" losses. He said it best himself when he said that he "created a monster".

Does Fed sound incredulous to you in respect to his recent performance? I'm not getting that vibe.

His losses are totally "explainable", as I mentioned. It's the Fed rooting-section that thinks it's unexplainable.

Lotto
04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
There are incredible differences between the Pro Level and Club players.

Firstly, the pros technique is way more advanced the any club players. Their serves are so incedibly technically complicated.
Secondly, these guys are athletes. They're running anywhere between 10-15 mph, how fast are we running eh?
Thirdly, the amount of different contact and footwork moves at the pro level is incomparable. The best club players use about 2-4 types of footwork on their strokes, the pros use about 20!!!
Fourth, look at the amount of power these guys are hitting with, it's incredible, compare how fast they are hitting groundstrokes to your own. And also tied into this is the amount of spin. They are generating way more spin then any club player.
As for the mental game, these guys have to have nerves of steel, they have to have the nerves of a mountaineer. They have to control their emotions externally and internally. The mental game is really the difference between the Top 3 and the rest in the Top 15. Federer can control his emotions with ease externally and internally while other players, who may look like they're controlling their emotions because they are doing so externally, may well be exploding emotionally internally.
Seriously, it's like a total different world, filled with powerful, consistent, fearless, mentally tough athletes who can control spin, power, placement, whatever you like. Huge difference.

callitout
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
TO OP:Interesting topic.
Dr. Allen Fox sports psychologist has a lot on this.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/MentalToughness.html?video=TNL020
this is about controlling emotions.
The pro's control their emotions--literally call up the emotions that will contribute to their winning. Examples include not just Fed, but David Ferrer now. You see he's always there and even if he misses, he's positive and looks like he's ready to run all day.
How these guys get that way is anybody's guess but theres obviously a selection bias: Its precisely the guys who can control their emotions that are able to make the transition from good junior to top pro. Obvious exceptions exist (like Safin).

In another piece by Allen Fox he talks about the importance of only showing body language as a tool to help you win. So sulking or yelling, generally do nothing to make your opponent feel that you are in for the long haul; whereas calm and more positive emotions such as those you typically see from Sharapova have to make an opponent feel theyre in for a battle.

christos_liaskos
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM

Sorry, this thread isnt supposed to try and explain Fed's losses to anyone. I just used Fed cos we are all very familiar with him. Its really just about whether we, as club players, can relate to the pros in terms of emotions during different stages and situations in matches. After all, like I said in my original post, many of us feel like we can offer advice or have an opinion of something but then we get flamed with 'well you arent a pro, youre a nobody etc etc'. Clearly technically and tactically none of us are anywhere near the pro level but I wondered if we experience the same emotions as the pros. Does 'competeing' give you the same emotions at whatever level you are playing at or does 'competeing' at the highest level give different emotions to compared to those of an amateur level?

Some interesting points so far guys, keep them coming