PDA

View Full Version : pain in forearm after switching racket

airdupont
04-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Is this possible? I used to use a Wilson Ncode 6.1 16x18 and am now using a Dunlop AG 200 16X19. I've added 6cm of lead at 12 o'clock as it is a little lighter. Does anyone know if it's possible? Different kind of materials???

abrahavt
04-23-2008, 06:59 AM
That doesnt sound promising. I was just going to try out the AG200 16x19. What string are you using? What tension?

el sergento
04-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Lighter racquets are more prone to provoking pain. You're probably over swinging to get the same kind of power from your new stick than you did with the n6.1's.

As an N6.1 user, exactly why did you switch??

roddick89
04-23-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm using the AG 20 18x20 that plays like a dream, maybe its the lead? AG 200 is a fairly heavy stick but you dont notice it becuase it is very head light, and like mentioned above, wot string, gauge and tension?

el sergento
04-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Looking at the specs for the 200 the weight difference is negligible. It is however a complete paradigm shift going from a 10 pt head light racquet to an 8 pt head heavy one, and with lead tape at 12 you're probably at a 12-13 pt head light balance now. That's a huge difference in balance and will pretty much force you to change your swing.

Forearm pain is usually backhand related, do you hit one handed per chance?? Your wrist is probably moving around more now due to the drastic change in balance.

Tennisguy777
04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Well I beefed up my AG 300s since they were too light stock and haven't run into this problem. If this just happened it might be that your arm is getting used to the dunlop stick or you might have pulled a muscle. Try to use a dampner if you already don't. If it continues it might be the strings. Also the wilsons are more stable and more shock absorbent IMO. You also might need to counter balance the weight you added by adding a little on the handle.

fuzz nation
04-23-2008, 08:44 AM
If the balance of the new racquet is different, you could be unconsciously trying to steer the racquet face through the contact point that you're used to in your previous frame. This has happened to me more than once with different frames that I've tried and I mostly felt the fatigue in my forearm. Different balances seem to release through the ball in different ways - a less headlight racquet requires me to hit farther out in front when I serve. Consider changing your contact point if the natural swing of your new racquet demands it.

airdupont
04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
OK, thanks everyone.
First the reason why I changed is, sponsorship at the club.
I use a German Poly, 17 gauge at 25 kilos. I found that the head of the racket was much too light, that's why I added some lead. Also, the clay court season has started, maybe it's because I'm hitting with more spin now?
The good news is, that tomorrow I'm going a shockwavetherapy, appearantly this should solve the problem.

airdupont
04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
And I have 2 handed backhand, I do feel more pain when volleying especially on the backhand side. When hitting backhands, I don't feel anything.
I do use a dampener