PDA

View Full Version : Doubting Davydenko

lordmanji
04-23-2008, 07:52 AM
fr: Tennis.com re: Davydenko at Monte Carlo today

Davydenko defeated Simone Bolelli of Italy 6-2, 7-6 (5).

``I didn't feel any injuries,'' the fourth-ranked Russian said. ``My legs were OK.''

``It was much tougher for me on clay against him,'' Davydenko said.

so uh, davydenko retires on sunday and then on tuesday he can win a match? i doubt that davydenko really was that injured in his final v federer if he can still win two days later.

Serpententacle
04-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah... What a baby! I think he just gave up against Fed in Estoril. He could have stomped Federer. He was poised for it. He is certainly questionable. I wish he would grow a sack and quit allowing himself to be intimidated.

Morrissey
04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
fr: Tennis.com re: Davydenko at Monte Carlo today

Davydenko defeated Simone Bolelli of Italy 6-2, 7-6 (5).

``I didn't feel any injuries,'' the fourth-ranked Russian said. ``My legs were OK.''

``It was much tougher for me on clay against him,'' Davydenko said.

so uh, davydenko retires on sunday and then on tuesday he can win a match? i doubt that davydenko really was that injured in his final v federer if he can still win two days later.

I said it on Sunday after his "loss" or retirement to Fed. He wasn't really injured but I think he felt he didn't want to tank or give it away so he pulled out of the match. He's running around fine now. Wow, those trainers can work miracles these days. Watch him beat Kohlschreiber too, a guy who may be playing just as good as Fed these days.

gj011
04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Watch him beat Kohlschreiber too, a guy who may be playing just as good as Fed these days.

I must disagree with this statement. Kohlschreiber would beat Hidalgo in two easy sets. ;)

TheTruth
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Now I believe he was gambling. I had given him the benefit of the doubt, but when you pull a stunt like that, you deserve whatever you get. Davy wasn't hurt Sunday. I never believed that for a minute. How did I know come Monte Carlo he would be just fine?

ndtennis
04-23-2008, 02:35 PM
hard to compare a win agaisnt federer and Bolelli

obnoxious2
04-23-2008, 03:51 PM
I said it on Sunday after his "loss" or retirement to Fed. He wasn't really injured but I think he felt he didn't want to tank or give it away so he pulled out of the match. He's running around fine now. Wow, those trainers can work miracles these days. Watch him beat Kohlschreiber too, a guy who may be playing just as good as Fed these days.

Or you mean the Russian mob was probably threatening him or his family.

stormholloway
04-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Why get all the way to the final just to quit though? It doesn't make sense. It think he felt something and called it a day, taking into account being a set down.

Fedace
04-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Or he has miraculous capacity to heal injuries fast. Lets admit it, Nico only cares about himself, he didn't feel like playing anymore so he just quit, and who cares about the fans that showed up.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-23-2008, 04:18 PM
I can understand how Davydenko would not want to continue playing with nagging pains. If I felt as though I was on the verge of a serious injury while playing a match, I might consider retiring.

Davydenko is a very hard working pro. Playing a great deal of matches, he surely knows his body well enough to know when enough is enough. He has been able to remain remarkably healthy. Healthy enough to play more tennis in the last few years than most anyone.

big ted
04-23-2008, 05:02 PM
[[Davydenko, who has won an ATP-best 25 matches this season, achieved his best result in Monte Carlo was in 2004 when he reached the quarterfinals. Last week the 26-year-old World No. 4 reached the clay-court final in Estoril, where he retired early in the second set against Roger Federer with a muscle strain in his left leg.

"I was checked yesterday by the doctor, ultrasound. He didn't find any injuries," Davydenko said. "And I practise two times yesterday. I was feeling okay. I have physio here. He treat me many times, everything, my muscles. I was surprised. Was two sets, and my leg is okay."]]

i dont think he was faking it, probly quit against federer to prevent aggravating it and missing the clay court season..

Joker
04-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I dont see why anyone would fake an injury during a final of a tourney...

stormholloway
04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Doubting Davydenko sounds like the name for a new Russian court room drama on NBC.