PDA

View Full Version : Volkl breakage ... anyone!!! Yes/No

Alex
01-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi everybody...

I heard that Volkl has a breakage problem from local tennis shop's owner.
According to him, this mainly happen on game improvement racquet.
Is that true? anyone experience it before?
All input are welcome.

Thanks!!!

Ronaldo
01-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Saw a CAT 1 crack, guy still uses it.

mctennis
01-11-2005, 06:10 AM
NO!!
I've never seen a Volkl crack with NORMAL use. I've seen players hit them on the ground, net posts, walls, and throw them. I've used them for years with no problems.

SteveI
01-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Mike C,

Steve I. here... Ditto. One of my regular doubles partners uses a Q V1.. that he really beats up.. throws.. hits.. scrapes. I string the thing for him all the time.. No breaking!!! Last year he launced it over the fence in a tourney we were in.. and it did not break.. we did not win the match.. but I was amazed.
In comparison.. one of my students... just dropped one of this Wilson frames on the edge.. from about 3 feet.. not in rage.. just dropped it by mistake.. and heard that sick pop.. and knew it was HISTORY! Think is was a Wilson 5.3 O/S. In defense of Wilson.. I have a couple of older PSC 6.1.. I am not sure if those things could be broken if I tried! All and all I think the older frames like POGs.. PSC 6.1 are built like tanks!

Have a good one.
Steve

Steve Huff
01-11-2005, 08:00 AM
A friend of mine had a Cat 1 and it broke. Volkl replaced it with the newer Fire addition Cat 1. He also had a Cat 2 and it broke. This guy is not a hard hitter, mostly just slices the ball off both sides and does a lot of lobbing. If he broke it, there must be a problem. These were all the original models too.

NoBadMojo
01-11-2005, 08:41 AM
interesting steve h, so you know how he actually broke it for sure? maybe on a lob? ...i'm not implying volkl doesnt/didnt have a prob w. any of their racquets. all good manufacturers do from time to time. i have been using volkl for years, and i cant think of a single problem I've ever had, nor do i hear anything bad from people i know playing volkl or volkls that my lessons have bought at my advice..i think their quality is the best in the biz, their racquets are thoughtfully engineered, and their racquets are almost always very tightly spec'd. i cant say this about a few other manufacturers. volkl seems to put their energy into making racquets rather than paying alot of endorsement money, yet still have tons of pros (more in europe) playing Volkl (just not huge names)....this all has to wash out somewhere in the pricing structure....the only prob i've ever had w. volkl is being able to easily find handle pallets when i need them, and i sure wish TW would stock these things.

Alley Cat
01-11-2005, 09:18 AM
I agree w/Mojo..we have quite a few Volkl players in our area and over the years I haven't heard any war stories of cracked or broken frames. I think Volkl's QC is near or at the best in the business.

El Diablo
01-11-2005, 09:32 AM
I've had about 5 different Volkls over the years, all of which would be considered players racquets (except perhaps the V1 Hotspot years ago) and have never had any sort of problem.

Steve Huff
01-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I've played with this guy several times. He's laid back, about 55 yrs old. Never seen him even get mad on a court. Volkls are well-made frames, but every manufacturer has some that don't hold up in real life as well as they did during their design. Volkl was pretty quick to come out with the 2nd generation of these frames also. I'd bet they were getting a good many returned with breaks. Fortunately, they are a good company and readily replaced the broken frames with the newer model.

Ronaldo
01-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Steve H&I, not sure how he cracked it, looked like a stress fracture. It was a CAT 1 FIRE. Have a PSC 6.1 95 with a crack at 11 o'clock. Restrung it, no problems. Not too many break CATs by hitting hard, IMHO someone did not secure that 120" head well when stringing. And if you string it every week or so, guess somethings got to give.

jayserinos99
01-11-2005, 07:09 PM
i had a c10pt that cracked on me but that was because i accidentally slammed it into the ground on a followthrough on a serve. i then proceeded to beat on it afterward as that was the only racquet i brought to the courts that day. rip.