PDA

View Full Version : Federer just not the same player

Coria
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Something is wrong with Fed's game. To be two points from losing today against a guy who shouldn't even come close to him.

He's making too many errors. He's not doing enough with his backhand. He's not as explosive on the court. His game is just not there to even think of him winning the French at this point. Maybe he's still not physically all that well. And maybe he needs a coach as well. He's just not playing solid and aggressive enough for his standards--not even close to his former level.

Stchamps
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
1. There are numerous Federer topics discussing these same things.
2. He got a coach already.

RoddickistheMan
04-23-2008, 02:21 PM
The main argument is hes added too much topspin to his game which basically neutralized his explosiveness that he once had. I think this is the common problem with most players nowadays.

Virtuous
04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Nadal_Freak
04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
The main argument is hes added too much topspin to his game which basically neutralized his explosiveness that he once had. I think this is the common problem with most players nowadays.
Yeah everyone wants to be like Nadal. Unfortunately they don't have the right tools to be like Nadal. (extreme grip, 2 hand backhand, and etc.)

urban
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I saw him in a few games at Estoril. Something is missing from his game, a certain sharpness. He seems a bit slow and somehow is going through the motions.

PascalMariaFan
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Fed hates rallying deep behind the baseline, where the only way to win a point is to hit an explosive ground stroke, wrong-foot your opponent, or hit a drop shot.
He would much rather make his opponent uncomfortable with slices, and look for the earliest opportunity to come into net.

Unfortunately for him, a lot of players are more comfortable than him on clay. And are more than capable of keeping him pinned at the baseline.

Similar story to playing Sampras on clay.

drakulie
04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Federer is done.

Tennis and Tennis
04-23-2008, 03:34 PM
no i don't think he is done.

lordmanji
04-23-2008, 03:45 PM

sorry i havent seen any evidence of this at all. roddick is the one who added too much topspin to his game. to me, federer is losing because he's forgotten how to win points. should he stay back or come in, slice or hit his forehand. add to that his fh is growing weaker and weaker. but last week in estoril he did a fine job w/ his game overall. i think there is credence to the mono weakening his game and now we're all erring when we critique his game. and most significantly, the pressure to beat sampras' record has grown to be too much for him. if he doesn't gain any ground this year, expect a banner year in the next.

Nadal_Freak
04-23-2008, 03:48 PM
no i don't think he is done.
Well you're wrong.

Vision84
04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Federer needs a bigger frame and switch to a 2-handed backhand.

drakulie
04-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Well you're wrong.

No, you're wrong.

Federer needs a bigger frame and switch to a 2-handed backhand.

You are correct.

Nadal_Freak
04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
No, you're wrong.

You are correct.
You are funny.

drakulie
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
^^^You're not. :)

edberg505
04-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah everyone wants to be like Nadal. Unfortunately they don't have the right tools to be like Nadal. (extreme grip, 2 hand backhand, and etc.)

Why would he want to be like someone that has 3 slam titles compared to his 12?

Nadal_Freak
04-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Why would he want to be like someone that has 3 slam titles compared to his 12?
I don't know. Tell that to Fed the way he has been playing lately with all his spin.

edmondsm
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Federer is done.

Well you're wrong.

No, you're wrong.

You are correct.

You are funny.

^^^You're not. :)

You guys are really hittin' the post count hard.

supermario343
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Federer is done.

he is not done, he is amazing and will always be! lol

drakulie
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
^^OK. But only if you say so.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-23-2008, 05:49 PM

I agree with this post, not with current professionals, but with juniors and club players. So many of them idolize Nadal to such a degree that they try to emulate his game. Since what they see are long swings, extreme western grips, and loopy shots, they see them as the keys to success in their own games. Unfortunately, they don't realize that Nadal's game works for him because he is an athletic specimin rarely seen in the game of tennis. His loopy shots are are delivered with tremendous pace, which allows them to be both defensive and offensive.

Many juniors and club players who emulate Nadal's game end up playing moonaball tennis, a form of tennis which I find boring to watch and play.

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Federer is done.

there is no way the man is done! look at his amazing form in shangai at the end of last year, the talent is still there, he hasn't faded, the form slump just hit him, how can you say he's done when only a few months ago he was killing everyone on tour!

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-23-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree with this post, not with current professionals, but with juniors and club players. So many of them idolize Nadal to such a degree that they try to emulate his game. Since what they see are long swings, extreme western grips, and loopy shots, they see them as the keys to success in their own games. Unfortunately, they don't realize that Nadal's game works for him because he is an athletic specimin rarely seen in the game of tennis. His loopy shots are are delivered with tremendous pace, which allows them to be both defensive and offensive.

Many juniors and club players who emulate Nadal's game end up playing moonaball tennis, a form of tennis which I find boring to watch and play.

why is everyone raving about nadal, he hasn't won a title this season yet, although he probably will take monte carlo, he is just amazing on clay, he's not even playing that well of late

RoddickistheMan
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
People are saying that federers forehand has been lacking pace and I truly believe that excessive topspin is the culprit. If you watch vids of fed from 04 to now he slowly has added more topspin to his strokes. In fact so much you see him hitting these nadalesque forehand strokes when he used to go for penetrating flat groundies.

emcee143
04-23-2008, 08:07 PM

Wow, was he even brought up before you? Be more humble as a fan please.

Djokovicfan4life
04-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I like toast.

stormholloway
04-23-2008, 08:28 PM

Not only this but rather than emulating his stroke mechanics they're merely copying the look or style of his shots. Visuals can help but only if you understand the mechanics behind the image. Most don't.

stormholloway
04-23-2008, 08:29 PM
People are saying that federers forehand has been lacking pace and I truly believe that excessive topspin is the culprit. If you watch vids of fed from 04 to now he slowly has added more topspin to his strokes. In fact so much you see him hitting these nadalesque forehand strokes when he used to go for penetrating flat groundies.

Oh boy. Here we go with more of this "Federer copying Nadal" stuff.

Chopin
04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
He won the last tournament he played in. As far as I know he's still #1 and won his last match. End of story in my book.

tennis_hand
04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
we just love these threads.

stormholloway
04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
He won the last tournament he played in. As far as I know he's still #1 and won his last match. End of story in my book.

Well there's no point in ignoring that his level has dropped. Third set tiebreaker against Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo? Come on now.

daddy
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Your book is as shallow as they come. Fiction is nice but how do you know what is fiction if you do not have any percetion of reality ?

Stchamps
04-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Your book is as shallow as they come. Fiction is nice but how do you know what is fiction if you do not have any percetion of reality ?

Chopin is just trying to end this topic since there is a million of them.

daddy
04-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Chopin is just trying to end this topic since there is a million of them.

This is a tennis board correct ? So when the idol of the teens, the very face of the tennis and most talked guy in last decade more or less is having a hard time, many notice and comment. Fans, haters, neutrals. All asking themselves and others - is this the moment, is this history being made. Will he never win a slam or will he come closer to Sampys record. having in mind most people are teenagers what do you expect ? Having in mind difference in opininons everyone has its proofs and want to win a argument vs the other group. Somewhat understandible, not a pretty sight but more or less expected.

Hell I think every thread will be Fed something if he lost in the 3rd round at RG. Every, even in odds and ends.

jman
04-24-2008, 12:54 AM

You got it man!!
Also, no-one wants to acknowledge the fact, that Federer came from 1-5 down in the deciding set to win the match comfortably in a tie break. What a champion! Two points from defeat, and the man pulls off an extraordinary comeback!!
Cut him some slack. After he wins RG, and let's the racquet do all the talking, everything will be back to normal.

baek57
04-24-2008, 01:08 AM
agree, as far as i know he's still #1... let the talk start when he drops off.

lonestar
04-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Fed hates rallying deep behind the baseline, where the only way to win a point is to hit an explosive ground stroke, wrong-foot your opponent, or hit a drop shot.
He would much rather make his opponent uncomfortable with slices, and look for the earliest opportunity to come into net.

Unfortunately for him, a lot of players are more comfortable than him on clay. And are more than capable of keeping him pinned at the baseline.

Similar story to playing Sampras on clay.

You are right. That's why he was the 2nd best clay courter in recent years.

crawl4
04-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Well you're wrong.

I think nadals knees are to fragile so he will never win a grand slam ever again

crawl4
04-24-2008, 02:33 AM
You got it man!!
Also, no-one wants to acknowledge the fact, that Federer came from 1-5 down in the deciding set to win the match comfortably in a tie break. What a champion! Two points from defeat, and the man pulls off an extraordinary comeback!!
Cut him some slack. After he wins RG, and let's the racquet do all the talking, everything will be back to normal.

yes! exactly! you are my hero

PROTENNIS63
04-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Federer still has mono.

ksbh
04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah sure, in the minds of his fans!

Federer still has mono.

rafan
04-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Federer could still have mono - after all where has he had the time to rest his body properly in order to get over it? Many people who have it do not have to play gruelling matches and daily practice to contend with. When I saw his last interview - when he had to come back from 5-1 down- I really could not beleive this was the same guy. He lacked the old confidence and it was a case of: "we shall see if I can get through tomorrow" rather than the usual attempt at being humble of the old days when he darn well knew he would win the lot!

joeri888
04-24-2008, 10:06 AM
We obviously don't know what is wrong with Roger federer. His decline is rapid, and age or lack of motivation are not satisfactory explanations. It might be mono, it might be lack of confidence. It might be a combination of all. We all know what a great player Roger Federer is when he's at his best. But it doesn't relaly matter what it is. What matters is that Nadal's the king of clay, Joker keeps developing, Davydenko plays great tennis, and that Roger is at least trying, and fighting for every point. He's not the best at the moment. So what, even if it's not mono, he'll always be a tennis legend.

deme08
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
We obviously don't know what is wrong with Roger federer. His decline is rapid, and age or lack of motivation are not satisfactory explanations. It might be mono, it might be lack of confidence. It might be a combination of all. We all know what a great player Roger Federer is when he's at his best. But it doesn't relaly matter what it is. What matters is that Nadal's the king of clay, Joker keeps developing, Davydenko plays great tennis, and that Roger is at least trying, and fighting for every point. He's not the best at the moment. So what, even if it's not mono, he'll always be a tennis legend.

Touche! Very well said :)

Bjorn99
04-24-2008, 08:12 PM
If he listened to us, like a certain Hollywood starlet who just overcame something much worse, he would be good to go in two weeks. But he hasn't, won't and as such, he won't be himself for quite some time. Trying to recover from mono with tradtional methods requires months. And NOT playing on the tour.

Jimmyk459
04-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Federer is back on track... don't worry. He is coming around and the clay court season is going to be a great time for him to prove himself again. He will be able to get back into the rhythm that he had in 2006.