PDA

View Full Version : Ordered some Demos... will post results soon.

HeadPrestige
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I have been looking at the possibility of switching from my 6.0 95s to something just as comfortable but with a slightly higher sw.

I have already ordered a k90 demo, and just ordered the rds001 mid, microgel prestige MP and Pro rackets. I will post my findings within the next week or so.

i have already hit with all of the rackets listed above, but wanted to get a little more time with them. The 2 i am really considering are the rds001 and the k90 (the prestige's are for fun).

I am curious to see how the 2008 rds compares to the old one. One thing is certain.. i LOVE the new rds 001 pj... and yonex's QC

HeadPrestige
04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Looks like i will be switching from my beloved 6.0s to the RDS 001 mid.

It has everything i want-- 323 sw, not too flexy, not too stiff, large sweetspot, nice acess to spin and a VERY solid response from all areas of the court.

Shashwat
04-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Have you tried a K95 yet? Seems like a good transition from a PS95 user. Just curious.

HeadPrestige
04-25-2008, 04:23 PM
the k95 is a horrible transition from a ps95 user (no offense)

It is stiff, swings absurdly heavy, is thick beamed... and is VERY powerful ll.

Shashwat
04-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Hahah no offense taken. Yeah that's what i thought too and i'm currently using a leaded up MG Radical. It plays sweet but i'm also demoing, looking at PST and RDS002 Tour right now. K95 just feels too power/heavy and i really don't like the thick beam, although i like the stiffness.

HeadPrestige
04-25-2008, 06:09 PM
so were you just trying to make me suffer along with you :P

HeadPrestige
04-25-2008, 06:23 PM
just had a nice hitting session .... (my hitting partner was formerly ranked in the top 100 in california in 18s... he is a solid 5.0)

The RDS is really what i am looking for. Very stable from all areas of the court, great acess to spin. It swings a little heavier than my 6.0-- and has a little bit more power which is what i was looking for. It is crisp-- but not too stiff that it gives me T.E.
... not to mention it has a bad *** PJ (2008 version)

so now time to sell my 6.0s

TonyB
04-25-2008, 07:10 PM
The RDS 001 mid is fairly demanding, but not overly so if you're playing singles. Doubles is a bit harder and requires more focus and a more solid technique.

I was going to suggest the N95 as an option. Sure, it's out of production, but it's a damn nice frame and compares more closely to the PS95 than does the RDS.

Don't get me wrong, I love the RDS and have 5 of them in my bag. But I've been playing more and more with the N95 and it offers many advantages over the RDS 001 mid for doubles (which I mainly play).

Try stringing up your RDS's with Tonic+ 16 mains at 58 and Weiscannon Silverstring 1.20 crosses at 54. It's an UNREAL combination and will last a LONG time without going dead or losing tension. I've been playing with mine for almost 2 months and it still feels like it's brand new, no lie.

I added 16 string savers in a 4x4 pattern, skipping every other string, at the 1-month mark. It brings the tension up slightly and adds a bit of spin. I love it.

HeadPrestige
04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
thanks for the advice tony .... but i have owned the n95 in the past, and did not like the thick beam or the muted response.

Also, i am mainly a singles player, with a big serve and an allcourt game. The rds 001 really helps my serve (precision, spin and power) and feels great anywhere on the court. Comfort is a big issue for me, and the rds 001 is a very comfortable frame.

I have played with mids in the past, and the rds is MUCH more forgiving than most mids out there (except maybe the daiblo). I really just fell in love with the racket.... and the nice looking PJ doesn't hurt either (not part of my decision, don't flame)

that string combo... are the mains a poly and the crosses multis?

i haven't heard of those strings.

TonyB
04-26-2008, 05:09 AM
thanks for the advice tony .... but i have owned the n95 in the past, and did not like the thick beam or the muted response.

Yup, those are definitely two properties of the N95 that could cause some hesitation. I'm not crazy about the thick beam or muted response, either, but I tolerate it because the overall performance of the racquet is good.

that string combo... are the mains a poly and the crosses multis?

i haven't heard of those strings.

Babolat Tonic+ mains are gut.
Weiscannon Silverstring crosses are poly.

Not the cheapest setup in the world, but I do my own stringing and I'm really loving the fact that after two months the strings still play like they're new. Have they lost some tension? I'm sure they have. But overall the playability is very high, probably 90% of the initial level. And the string savers not only help with wear, but they also definitely add some spin potential.