PDA

View Full Version : Demo Advice

rayallen333
04-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I currently play with the LM Radical OS. Pretty happy so far except for spin...Off the ground I often can't hit the spin needed to keep the ball in court. On the other hand, I like the power level a lot. So, can anyone suggest a racquet with similar power/stability that offers a little more spin? I'm very interested in Babolats so a comparison would be nice. I do not and won't use poly by the way. Thanks!

bcast66
04-23-2008, 06:54 PM
spin is more so influenced by your swing and strings.

Djokovicfan4life
04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
If you like the power, why not a Pure Drive?

rayallen333
04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I have never tried the pure drive. How does its power compare to the LM radical? I use a semiwestern forehand and no poly strings if that helps.

t0nym4c
04-24-2008, 05:09 PM
The Pure drive has much more power than a liquidmetal mp radical. I think it has more control than the liquidmetal OS radical, but I only hit with the OS briefly.

[d]ragon
04-24-2008, 05:13 PM
could be the strings. try something alittle thinner (or try poly)

rayallen333
04-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I've tried poly and it totally hurts my arm, so not going that direction, lol. Right now I have sensation at 60

[d]ragon
04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
hav u tried to brush up and over the ball more?

kcmiser
04-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but there is no perfect racquet. Everything's a trade-off. Power and spin are to some degree opposite characteristics of a racquet-- getting one means giving up a bit of the other. In particular, head heavy, stiff racquets are powerful, but are going to lack spin. A more open string pattern generates more spin without costing power (though it does cost in control), and a larger head gives more power without necessarily costing in spin, but you are already playing an OS, so that's out as an option to consider.

Before anything else, I'd recommend at least trying stringing tighter. If I have a racquet I otherwise like, but the balls sail a bit, I up the tension by a few pounds and that usually does the trick.

Oh, and I play a Babolat, and I really like it, but there is nothing about these racquets that is remotely magical or somehow generates extra spin. Irrespective of model or brand, virtually all of a racquet's playing characteristics come down to weight, balance, stiffness, hoop size, and string pattern. A Babolat will hit with no more spin than any other racquet with similar specs. Don't get sucked in by marketing hype.

04-25-2008, 08:57 AM
I get a hell of a lot of spin on the LM OS, but then again i use heavy western forehand

luv2volley
04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
spin is more so influenced by your swing and strings.

Yes, your swing and string tension are the main factors. Try to string it tighter. 60 lbs for OS is fairly low tension. Tighter tension string and angle will help your spin since you hit faster and at higher angle. And try western grip so you can hit up the angle more, just make sure to get blow the balls with your knees bend. Also, too much top spin might make your balls landing short so give it some net clearance. Hope this helps.

fuzz nation
04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Keep track of the frames that you demo so that you can look at the spec's that seem to help you. I'd say try out a couple of racquets that have stiffness ratings in the low to mid 60's, open string patterns, and somewhat familiar weight.

The MicroGEL Radical Pro could be a good option - can't say I've tried it. Some of our pals here seem to be enjoying the newer Speedport Black for its power and spin and another one to check into might be the Volkl DNX 9. I like frames that are rather hefty, but a 12 oz. bat which is nicely headlight and handles easily for me is the Prince NXG mp. That racquet can generate a ton of spin when I want it, but it's also rather stable - the OS version of the NXG also has a few devoted fans around here, too. The Donnay Pro One OS could be worth a look - it's listed as heavier and more headlight than your Radical, but it also has an open pattern and a little more stiffness. That could potentially offer more pop from the heft and flex rating, but the open string pattern might offer more bite on the ball.

ndtennis
04-25-2008, 10:11 AM
yea string can help the spin a lot. Ruff is a string that increases spin a lot. Or like others side, the tension. But I would try those before getting a new racket

bronco_mba
04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Why not try a new spin-oriented string first, i.e. Prince Topspin? As others suggested, I would also tweak tension and string before out-and-out investing in a new frame.

rayallen333
04-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Stringing it over 60 makes it feel like a board :( I am currently experimenting with string, and will keep on doing so (no poly of course).

Can anyone make a comparison between the Rad OS and Pure Drive or Pure Storm or APD?

rayallen333
04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the advice by the way.

rayallen333
04-27-2008, 12:56 PM
What about Tecnifibre 310, Volke 8 series?