PDA

View Full Version : Federer PS detail

david aames
03-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Not sure whether it has been debated on this board but I just noticed that Federer's paintjob includes his signature...

Ash Doyle
03-24-2004, 02:22 PM
What's really to stop the racquet companies from doing limited runs of racquets made to the exact specs of their touring endorsers? In limited runs, I feel that the companies could see a profit. Of course, the racquets would probably be sold for a little more than the standard racquets, but I'm betting there are quite a few people here who would buy 'em. Wilson could do a Federer ProStaff, a Sampras Prostaff, a Todd Martin Hammer, a Henin hammer.

@wright
03-24-2004, 02:31 PM
The Todd Martin and Henin hammers wouldn't be hammers! It is an interesting idea though, for sure.

jings
03-24-2004, 05:50 PM
This is the start of Fed's new whacky crowd pleasing on court demeanour ... picking up the refrain from the General Pro Player chat on Fed being the next boring Pete ...

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-24-2004, 07:13 PM
I would love to like sign my racquet or something with a special paint job. It would be cool though to also get a pros signature racquet or something.

Anonymous
03-24-2004, 09:30 PM
For some reason, Wilson probably thinks that nobody wants a racket that is as heavy as the Tour 90, but also with a much closer-to-even balance as Federer's. That being said, I'd definitely buy a couple.

Swan Song
03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Henin-Hardenne IS using a Hammer(HH 5.3 w/Power Holes) and it is not head-light according to some message on the old message board.

Anonymous
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Ditto Martin... Hammer 6.2, isn't it?

brijoel
03-26-2004, 01:01 PM
anyone else think that is just a 6.0 with a paint job? look the very bottom of the throat and how long it is and how the throat curves smoothly instead of coming straight out like on the tour 90. the bottom of the throats on the tour 90s ive looked at were very short and when the beam splits there wasnt much curve to it.

maybe it's just me......

dukeduck
03-30-2004, 09:26 PM
yes! you just hit the nail on the head. it's a 90 headsized PS6.0 with a tour90 paint job. I got a specially made PS6.0 with a 6.1 paint job which was for Roger, and its headsize is also 90sqin.

brijoel
03-30-2004, 11:18 PM
i somewhat doubt wilson made a whole casting with a 90 si head just for roger, and he used to use the 6.0 anyways. so judging by the shape, and him having used the 6.0 for so long it wouldnt seem probable that he changed racquets either. still just think its a painted 6.0 and nothin more

Anonymous
03-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Federer's old rackets had no grooves unlike his current frames. String patterns are also different (one more cross). The grooves make Fed's new frames resemble the Tour 90 more than anything, with a slightly different string pattern density and a different handle mold, among other less-visible things.

tarheelbornjohn
03-31-2004, 06:11 AM
The string grooves and grauments look like the tour 90. Also, the outside of the head looks flat like the tour 90.

jings
03-31-2004, 08:00 AM
Didn't we kind of bury this one on the last board. As best we can gather from board contacts at Wilson, Nate Ferguson etc, it's as close to a Tour 90 as we're liable to get but with an obviously different handle and no doubt different balance. Good enough for me anyway.

gregraven
04-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Didn't we kind of bury this one on the last board. As best we can gather from board contacts at Wilson, Nate Ferguson etc, it's as close to a Tour 90 as we're liable to get but with an obviously different handle and no doubt different balance. Good enough for me anyway.

Considering the Tour 90 was designed for Federer in the first place (according to Ron Rocchi at Wilson), it follows that he is probably using something pretty darned close.

dander
04-22-2004, 11:58 AM
the TW review of the ROK also states that it was designed for Roger at least initially, and yet it's substantially different from the Tour 90. Does anyone know the inside story of how that switch came about? was the rok initially much stiffer, or the tour 90 more flexible?

lendl lives
04-22-2004, 01:28 PM
ok bare with me on this one.....i'm probably leaning toward playing with the tour 90. do you all feel a head light racket like this one feels good on a one handed backhand? more so than a head heavy or even balanced frame? On my two hander i usually have some bend in my arms and this diddn't feel comfortable w/ the tour 90. Yesterday i staightend out my arms and the club felt like it liked this technique more. i'm not sure i understand why.

i'm not overpowering people with this racket but then again i don't see federer blasting anyone and hes #1.=)

jings
04-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I find Tour 90 most effective when you take the ball in front of you (as one should) so that would kind of fit with your straighter arm theory I would say. I think Fed generates some pretty good pace with his frame - certainly gives his f/h a rip.

Cigo
04-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Most of the players that try my racquets tell me that a two hander feels unnatural for some reason.

ProStaffTour90
04-24-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm finding my Tour 90's a little hard work at the moment :cry: , i just can't concentrate on every shot as much as the racquet needs me too, i suppose i gotta bulk up and increase my stamina, cos now and again i play loose shots and i just can't afford to do that!

It has however helped both my first and second serve, and my volleys are much stronger, if i have the time to get into the perfect position as it's damn hard to manoeuvre, i'm positive they will help my game in the long run though as i become more consistant and don't have to rely on my bat to generate power!