PDA

View Full Version : Volkl V 1 Classic

Yolkl
01-10-2005, 05:38 AM
OK, I think I am starting to sort things out. I hit with this racquet twice over the weekend. I did not have any trouble swinging this racquet (10.9/316 sw) and really liked the control and stability. The stiffness rating was 69. The only drawback was that I was unable to get my normal pace on serves. Of the racquets that I've used it reminded me the most of the Warrior mid.

What I'm looking for is a stick with this kind of control without losing my serve. I think I could actually handle anything up to 12 oz even though I'm a 3.5.

At this point, the racquets that look good to me are:
Slaz X 1
Tour 10 Gen II
RDX MP
PK Laver S

I demoed the VE Tour 10 MP and loved it but it sounds like most people think it is erratic which is the last thing I need. The V 1 Classic was a reliable stick. Balls wern't sailing out for no apparent reason. I have a big,long swing but rarely have the confidence to really let it rip in matches. I guess I'm just looking for a stick that I can trust.

NoBadMojo
01-10-2005, 05:53 AM
If you like the feel and playability of the V1 Classic, but cant serve w. it and can handle more weight, this bat serves better for many people like you buy adding a bit of weight in the handle, thus making it more headlight. Also, the V1Classic 10th anniversary seems to spec slightly differently than the reg one, and the graphics are pretty cool.

Yolkl
01-10-2005, 05:59 AM
MO The racquet had tape on the head and maybe some lead tape underneath. It wasn't a demo, just someone's old racquet they were selling.

Steve H.
01-10-2005, 08:06 AM
As Mojo says, tailweighting will make it whip better on the serve. Or, taking that tape off will make it swing more easily (and maybe feel less like the Warrior). If you can get a good deal and it doesn't seem too stiff I'd say go for it, and then customize until it's the way you like it.

Tenny
01-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't played any volkl but recently got interested. V1 and C10 pro are the ones I am interested. Recently I hit with a PD and didn't like it esp. because of its stiffness. I am wondering how V1 (RDC number is like 70?) plays? I've tried a Surge (regular length). That one was arm friendlier than PD but I felt they both felt overall 'dry (this is my feeling when I play stiff ones)'. I wonder how V1 and C10 midplus play. I've tried Ti Radical OS and liked it but now not much so. Flexible+Light weight didn't work for me. Maybe I will simply demo them(V1 and C10 pro) someday.

T.

dParis
01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Tenny-
I spend plenty of time comparing numbers of various raquets; but numbers only tell part of the story. I found this especially true when comparing the V1 to the Surge or PD.

Although the stiffness ratings are similar, the V1 feels much different than the other two. The V1 feels more solid in the hand and I've found it extemely solid on hits from anywhere on the stringbed. I'ts also a very comfortable raquet. If you think the Surge is more arm friendly than the PD, then the V1 will feel like a deep-tissue massage! Haven't played the C10.

Volkls have a certain, well enginered feel that I haven't found in most other raquets. You should look foward to demoing some.

Tenny
01-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Tenny-
I spend plenty of time comparing numbers of various raquets; but numbers only tell part of the story. I found this especially true when comparing the V1 to the Surge or PD.

Although the stiffness ratings are similar, the V1 feels much different than the other two. The V1 feels more solid in the hand and I've found it extemely solid on hits from anywhere on the stringbed. I'ts also a very comfortable raquet. If you think the Surge is more arm friendly than the PD, then the V1 will feel like a deep-tissue massage! Haven't played the C10.

Volkls have a certain, well enginered feel that I haven't found in most other raquets. You should look foward to demoing some.

Thanks dParis,

The surge being more arm-friendly than the PD? Well, at least I didn't feel pain after hitting with the Surge. The PD was the first racquet I felt trouble hitting. I don't understand how those Pros manage to play with it. Maybe natural gut string? Anyway, I didn't like them both. Yeah, I will demo V1/C10 someday. Thanks for sharing your experience. BTW, have you played all the different verions of V1 (cat, quantum, original, 10year edition)? THNX!

Tenny

dParis
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Tenny-

My experience is with the V1 classic. I don't believe the 10 yr. edition is different save for the graphics. As for the Cat. and Quantum, I've only seen pictures.

NoBadMojo
01-10-2005, 04:56 PM
dparis the two frames do spec slightly differnetly, the anniversary is a little lighter and more pwerful than the reg classic, so folkls should take that into consideration..does tw show them as the same specs?

Yolkl
01-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Tenny

Have not hit with Surge or PD, but I did try 3 other Babolat frames briefly along with VI; Zmax (108),VS NCT tour (100) & Storm team (98). Although they are all nice racquets, from a stability and control standpoint, they were not in the same league as the VI classic. Like comparing a dependable veteran offensive lineman to three rookie running backs prone to mistakes. The only area where they excelled over the VI was serving.

Tenny
01-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Tenny

Have not hit with Surge or PD, but I did try 3 other Babolat frames briefly along with VI; Zmax (108),VS NCT tour (100) & Storm team (98). Although they are all nice racquets, from a stability and control standpoint, they were not in the same league as the VI classic. Like comparing a dependable veteran offensive lineman to three rookie running backs prone to mistakes. The only area where they excelled over the VI was serving.

Thanks,

BTW, Yolkl, do you like Yonex too? What's the YOLKL?
And NoBadMoJo, people are waiting at the Odd board. There is a thread (explain your ID) going on and guys are spilling their secrets. Yolkl you too.

Tennis=>Tenny