PDA

View Full Version : Pro#1 vs. Pro X1

Richard Pur
01-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Any thoughts? I finally tried out the Fischer Pro #1 and so far, I thought it is the best racquet out there for me overall. I did think highly of the Pro X1, but unlike a lot of you out there, I found it less maneuverable than I thought it would be (at least less than my trusty Ultra FPK). The Fischer Pro #1 was much more maneuverable in my opinion. Looking at the specs, can there be that much difference resulting from 1 point difference in headlight and 5 in swingweight?

I agree with NBM on the stringing of the Pro X1, I think I strung it too tight. It has a narrow tension range.

With the Fischer, the tenson range is real big isn't it. I mean, even if the racquet says you have a large range, do you really? I tend to gravitate towards tighter string tensions for more control.

NBM, in your opinion, how do these two racquets compare in the various categories?
Here's what I think. Keep in mind, I play once a week and for me to demo is a stretch. I'm a 4.0 with pretty much all the shots but losing consistency due to lack of play.

Serving - X1 (X1 more penetrating, Pro #1 more spin)
Volleys - Pro #1 (more forgiving, more maneuverable, but in all fairness my X1 was probably strung too tight)
Groundstrokes - X1 (Pro #1 more forgiving though)
Serve Return - Can't compare as the Pro #1 was only used during drills and not games. I need to be able to block serves back though.

I think the extra stiffness in the X1 may be the difference that is turning me off to the racquet. I just thought the X1 played a lot heavier than the Pro #1. And as I get older (42), that may be a problem.

NoBadMojo
01-10-2005, 06:11 AM
richard i think these two frames produce really similar results across the board. they are both good at everything. the Pro1 gives you a more quiet softer hit and the X1 feels a bit stiffer, and yes you can string the Pro1 well at a large tension range, but know that tighter tensions will reduce the sweetspot size. i would just pick the one that gives you the better feel if you cant tell which is giving you better results. these are both excellent choices if you can swing them fast enough and find the sweetspot on a regular basis.

Yolkl
01-14-2005, 05:37 AM
I've just bought both of these racquets sight unseen after gleaning info here, (rather than spending nearly $40.00 to demo them). In case you haven't noticed, I was after control first and foremost.
2 quick questions.
1)If you were going to use these two interchangably, how would you set them up ?
2) What would be a good choice for a third racquet for the days when I need
a little more juice or something a little lighter ? My top priority is something that's just plain fun to hit with from the baseline.

Here are the leading contenders, (but I would consider anything) :
VEt10mp
PK type R
t10mp
PK Ionic KI 15 PSE
RDX 500 MP

One more racquet and I'll be calling it a day ? Thanks.

Mies
01-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Yolkl,

-VE tour 10 MP is rumoured to have an inconstent string bed (read around on some comparative reviews of it by board members) so I'm not too sure of it, try the Tour 10 MP instead or wait for the Gen II of the tour 10 mp to come out in the US.

I haven't hit with any of the others so I can't put up any comments there.

Yolkl
01-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Mies- I've hit with the VE t10 MP and loved it. I didn't have a problem with control but that was after playing with an old longbody so who knows. Really just looking for a fun racquet to hit with when I'm feeling froggy and the VE was definitely fun and different.

I guess what I'm really looking for is a go-for-broke-type racquet in the 11-12 oz range.

Mies
01-14-2005, 06:22 AM
Then I'd say, buy a tour 10 MP :) , it's cheap and allmost all comments I heard about it are positive. I cannot really provide any input in the Volkls, I have only hit with the VE tour 10 MID (well the only Volkl that is), and I loved it. It was just a bit low powered (even compared to RDX 500 mid etc.) but perhaps fumbling with the string tension could fix this

Regards

Yolkl
01-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Yea, the t10mp is really tempting but it may be too much like the X1 & pro #1. I'd like the third racquet to be something to pull out against a clearly superior opponent.