PDA

View Full Version : Which Head stick currently plays closests to the Pro Tour 280?

HoVa
04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I used to be a 5.5 player but stopped for awhile. My stick of choice was the legendary Pro Tour 280. But I noticed a nice crack in the only one I had left.

So now I'm back in the market for a new stick.

I decided to try out the K90 (asian). Sorry, but that stick is a tank. I'm a big guy but I can't get my racket head speed fast enough to benefit from its heft.

So I'm looking back at the confusing Head line again..

which one plays most like the PT280?

lilxjohnyy
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
im not sure what racket is the PT280 but give the new microgel pro and mp a try

HoVa
04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
After reading a thread about the comparisons to the microgel pro/mp,

I hear people say that the MG has more manueverability/pop but not the precision which the PT280 has.

which is kind of discouraging.. is this true?

etd
04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I would go with the Microgel Prestige MP as a starting point. But it wouldn't be exactly the same as the PT 280.

Ten_nuts
04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Who says the Head MG Prestige MP doesn't have the precision which the PT280 has? I think it's one of the best rackets out there. Hova, if you used to be a 5.5 player, it's obvious that you got all the techniques. The are 2 sticks out there that play close to PT280, or in my opinion they are even better than PT280 if you add a little lead tape at 3 and 9. The Head MG Prestige MP that is a little flexible (but not too flexy), and Tecnifibre TF 320 string 18x20 (this is a little stiffer than Head MG Prestige MP). Why don't you give these 2 a try? I think both of these are available for demo on TW here. The strings that you use are also very important. You should try at mid tension first and go up as high as you prefer. I don't understand why someone willing to spend up to 150 bucks for a used PT280 and think it's the best of all the bests. I used to own 13 PT280 and played with them for a long time, but i couldn't stand watching my friends playing with new, beautiful sticks while i had the same old stick. I sold them all after i got the TF320 string 18x20. I added 0.1oz lead tape at 3 and 0.1oz at 9 to my TF320 and i think it's even more solid than the PT280. My TF320 is always strung with Luxilon Timo 17g at 48 lbs in cold weather and 54 lbs in hot weather. You can trust me that you can't go wrong with TF320. Just demo it along with Head MG Prestige MP and i am sure you'll find the one you like. Remember that using the strings is also an important factor that you want to consider. Good luck.

Ryoma Kun
04-23-2008, 08:44 PM
mg prestige midplus, but just note, its the closest in the current line, nothing really plays like the 280. Racquets today are too stiff.

I would give the PK Redondo a shot before the MG prestige

HoVa
04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Who says the Head MG Prestige MP doesn't have the precision which the PT280 has? I thin..........

thanks for your reply :)

its been a long time since I've played and I'm just now finding out about luxilons, speedports, cortex, woofers, microgels, flexpoints, karophite, nanotechnology and all that good stuff.

I'm actually quite confused.

Head has a Microgel Prestige Pro, a Microgel Prestige and Microgel Prestige Mid.

I'm guessing that the Microgel Prestige Mid is in the same spirit as the PC600?

Also, whats the playability difference between Microgel Prestige Pro and Microgel Prestige?

I know this has been beaten to death but I just want to find a new hammer and be happy with it.

HoVa
04-23-2008, 08:49 PM
mg prestige midplus, but just note, its the closest in the current line, nothing really plays like the 280. Racquets today are too stiff.

I would give the PK Redondo a shot before the MG prestige

I'll agree with you that the current rackets are on the stiff side.

I'm also in vietnam currently so I don't have access to anything other than Prince, Head, Wilson, Babolat and Technifibre.

Ten_nuts
04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
If you can play/handle the Head MG Prestige MID, then you can ignore all of the others including the PT280. The PC600 is way too flexy for my taste, so if i have to choose between PC600 and I Prestige MID, i will pick the I Prestige MID. But again, i would let the Head MG Prestige MID above all of those.

HeadPrestige
04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
ask pt_630

Ross K
04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
The frame that was always considered similar to the PT280 was a Dunlop - the 200G Muscle Weave. There are a mountain of old posts on this if you search.

As for Head frames though, I don't know about recent times, but there are/were of course rods made from the same mould as the PT (like your i. Prestige, Rad Tour Twin Tube, the Trysis, etc.) They will obviously have some if not all the characteristics or whatever of the PT.

HoVa
04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
The frame that was always considered similar to the PT280 was a Dunlop - the 200G Muscle Weave. There are a mountain of old posts on this if you search.

As for Head frames though, I don't know about recent times, but there are/were of course rods made from the same mould as the PT (like your i. Prestige, Rad Tour Twin Tube, the Trysis, etc.) They will obviously have some if not all the characteristics or whatever of the PT.

I've been hearing about the next generations of Head after the PT280, but they're so confusing to remember.

I also don't have access to the older rackets. The only thing thats available to me are the latest models (much to my dissapointment).

OnyxZ28
04-23-2008, 10:52 PM
In that case the most current descendant of the PT280 is the Microgel Prestige Midplus. THis is the lineage, in the US (excluding Euro sticks like the PT630, Ti.Pro Tour):

PT280 -> Ti.Classic -> i.Prestige MP -> Liquidmetal Prestige MP -> Flexpoint Prestige MP -> Microgel Prestige MP (current).

0d1n
04-24-2008, 12:58 AM
In that case the most current descendant of the PT280 is the Microgel Prestige Midplus. THis is the lineage, in the US (excluding Euro sticks like the PT630, Ti.Pro Tour):

PT280 -> Ti.Classic -> i.Prestige MP -> Liquidmetal Prestige MP -> Flexpoint Prestige MP -> Microgel Prestige MP (current).

Sorry for the off topic, but this model caught my attention. I saw it recently on the web (listed as Head Ti.Pro Tour 630), it's dirt cheap and the specs look nice. I think it's listed as 310 grams unstrung on that website. Anybody hit with it??? Impressions ??

Deuce
04-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Sorry for the off topic, but this model caught my attention. I saw it recently on the web (listed as Head Ti.Pro Tour 630), it's dirt cheap and the specs look nice. I think it's listed as 310 grams unstrung on that website. Anybody hit with it??? Impressions ??
The Ti Pro Tour was one of the worst racquets I've ever hit with.
The ONLY thing it has in common with the Pro Tour 280/630 is the colour blue. Other than that, it is nothing like the 280.

It's always best to use the search function, as this saves us from answering the same question several times.

Deuce
04-24-2008, 01:16 AM
The ONLY thing it has in common with the Pro Tour 280/630 is the colour blue. Other than that, it is nothing like the 280.

It's always best to use the search function, as this saves us from answering the same question several times.

galain
04-24-2008, 04:11 AM
Deuce is right. The Ti Pro Tour somehow managed to sneak itself into Head's players lineup. It does not warrant mentioning in the same breath as the 630/280.

I've heard a few people say that some of Kneissl's recent offerings are very close in feel to the PT (albeit, with tighter string pattern).

TheRed
04-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Being a long time PT280 user, I tried Kneissl's red star. I must say that the Red Star feels very similar to the 280 but frankly, more stable, probably b/c it's a bit stiffer. The only reason I'm not using it is b/c I don't like extended length racquets, even 1/2 inch on the red star was a no go.

jorel
04-24-2008, 05:18 AM
I used to be a 5.5 player but stopped for awhile. My stick of choice was the legendary Pro Tour 280. But I noticed a nice crack in the only one I had left.

So now I'm back in the market for a new stick.

I decided to try out the K90 (asian). Sorry, but that stick is a tank. I'm a big guy but I can't get my racket head speed fast enough to benefit from its heft.

So I'm looking back at the confusing Head line again..

which one plays most like the PT280?

try the LM Radical (leaded up of course) its on sale now

its the frame that the Joker used before the WIlson deal

BDAZ
04-24-2008, 05:47 AM
not to hijack the thread, but deuce, can you give me any differences between the ti.po tour and the ti.classic? thanks.

0d1n
04-24-2008, 05:53 AM

Thanks for your feedback ... I guess the Ti Pro Tour is right up there with the LM Prestige in your book :)

OnyxZ28
04-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Haha, any mention of the Ti.Classic/Ti. Pro Tour, LM Prestige, or the *gasp* Premier Tour is a surefire way to get Deuce worked up.

Deuce
04-24-2008, 09:12 PM
not to hijack the thread, but deuce, can you give me any differences between the ti.po tour and the ti.classic? thanks.
I never hit with the Ti. Classic.
Some people say that it's the same racquet as the Ti. Pro Tour, but with a different name and paint job. Could be - I don't know.
All I know is that I found the Ti. Pro Tour to be garbage, and not worthy of the 'Pro Tour' name.

Thanks for your feedback ... I guess the Ti Pro Tour is right up there with the LM Prestige in your book :)
Just to clarify... the LM Prestige Mid is the one I hated.
I never hit with the MidPlus.

And, yes... Head's Premier Tour is the other racquet that is worthy of the garbage bin.
Strangely, my 3 most hated racquets are Heads... while several of my most loved racquets are also Heads (XRC, Ashe Competitions, Graphite Edge, Prestige Classic, Pro Tour 280, iPrestige Mid).
When I hit with a Head frame, it's feast or famine.

Pro_Tour_630
04-25-2008, 06:34 AM
to OP:

There is a PT280 club with lots of info.

Basically the closest thing that plays to a PT280 is a PT280, I think you already know this.

KFwinds
04-25-2008, 07:22 AM
The obvious move would be to demo the current Prestige MP models, but you should also try the Dunlop 200's and the Volkl C10 Pro.