PDA

View Full Version : Closest Raquet to the Volkl tour 8

Jason20
04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
i have used the volkl tour 8 for almost two years now and i cant seem to find any for sale new so i as wondering what is the closest raquet to it in weight and play cause im looking to get a new one. im playing at upper highscool level to begginer college level so between a 3.0 and 4.0

Rabbit
04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
just to be sure, it's the tour 8 and not the cat 8, right?

you may want to look at the becker pro or volkl dnx 8 if it's the tour 8.

if it's the cat 8, the dunlop 300g might be a good option

couch
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
i have used the volkl tour 8 for almost two years now and i cant seem to find any for sale new so i as wondering what is the closest raquet to it in weight and play cause im looking to get a new one. im playing at upper highscool level to begginer college level so between a 3.0 and 4.0

I've been playing with the old Tour 8 ever since it came out (about 5 years ago or so) and have tried different racquets in the past and have never been able to leave my trusty 8's. That being said, I may have found my replacement, the Babolat Pure Storm. Not sure if the PS would be right for you or not but for me it's a little "less" in every aspect of the 8's. It's a little thinner, a little denser string pattern, a little shorter, a little smaller head, and overall just a little less powerful and a little more control.

Racquets I would suggest trying would be:

Becker Pro
Babolat Pure Storm
Babolat Pure Drive
Babolat Aero Pro Drive
Head MG Radical
Head MG Extreme
Prince Speedport White and Black
Wilson KPro Open

Good Luck. Those Tour 8's are great racquets aren't they?

Jason20
04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
ya i love my tour 8 i just wish i could buy new ones insted of changing raquets but i will try those other options out thanks

snoopy
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm a newcomer to the tour 8 (the black and red one, 27.6 in). I go t lucky and found a pair at discount in a shop.

At first I thought they were too light and stiff. Now I love them. One of the best parts about many Volkl frames is that the stringbeds are forgiving and comfortable. I'm choking up on my fh and getting good spin and control. My 2bhs are always better with longer frames. Although I notice the lack of weight once in a while I'm playing too well to start fooling around with lead yet.

I think your best bet for something similar is the Wilson KPro Open. It has a similar stiffness and swingweight, although it lacks the extra length. Plus, it's gotten some decent reviews.

I've demoed the Head Extreme and the Yonex RDS 003. Both are 27.25 inches and have flex ratings of 65 or higher. However their swingweights are noticeably higher than the Volkl.

I thought the Extreme was ok but it felt dead in the upper hoop. To be fair I used the stringjob that came with the demo. So that makes a big difference.

The 003 is ok but I'm not a big fan of the Yonex head shape on serves.

As a last resort you can order a Vantage. You can get 1 with a 21 mm beam, 27.5 in length, 70 flex and a similar weight and swingweight if you email them. Of course they aren't cheap.

NoBadMojo
04-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Based solely on the specs, the BB10 would match up well. both longer, 100 headsize, open patterns, similar beam width, similar swingweights i think, etc. I didnt like the bb10 as much as the Tour8, but you might. it's a little less solid, less firm, and not as much of the juice. Problem is, that frame is recently discontinued I believe...you may be able to score some new ones on the cheap.

I can see how someone using a Tour8 would have a problem finding a suitable replacement

couch
04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
ya i love my tour 8 i just wish i could buy new ones insted of changing raquets but i will try those other options out thanks

You can always check the "bay". I've found a few of them on there over the last year or so. It's always hit or miss though. Good luck.

Seacoast Stringer
04-24-2008, 06:34 PM
A buddy of mine switched from the Tour 8 to the Kneissl Red Star last summer and pretty satisfied.

cjk1026
04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
The Becker BB10 is nearly the identical racquet to the Tour 8. I have 4 of each and love them both. Only very slight differences in play for me. They saved my arm!

Um...?
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
The Becker BB10 is nearly the identical racquet to the Tour 8. I have 4 of each and love them both. Only very slight differences in play for me. They saved my arm!

This is good to know. I'm also in the 'Tour 8 Camp' and dread the day that I have to find a replacement for this frame. Recently I got lucky and scored 3 through craigslist and ****, so the grand total is up to 6 (I have 7, but one recently cracked slightly and is questionably playable).

I've hit with all of the subsequent Volkl replacements and nothing seems to stack up to the original for me. Just not fond of the feel of the DNX versions or any of the VE versions. Seemingly, the great features of the Tour 8, the flex, feel, stability, etc just isn't there for me on the alternatives.

I might have to think about picking up a BB10 just to compare the differences in playability.

couch
04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I've been a die-hard Tour 8 user ever since it came out. Like you guys I've tried just about all the Volkl/Becker offerings and nothing has lived up to the Tour 8. The Tour 8 went over so well where I'm from my local pro shop said if it was a Prince or Wilson racquet it would be a "classic". LOL There are still quite a few people playing with these sticks where I'm from.

That being said, I have just recently switched to the Babolat Pure Storm (regular version not the Tour) and don't think I'm gonna look back. This racquet offers everything the Tour 8 does but with a little more control. It is balanced slightly different, is thinner beamed, more flexible, 16x19 instead of 16x18, and at the same time offers some nice "pop".

If you guys are looking to demo I'd really give the Pure Storm a shot.

You can check this thread for my review and some others' input: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=192916

Um...?
04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Couch, did you play on the BB10? How did it stack up?

My finger is hovering over the 'Add To Cart' button right now... :mrgreen:

couch
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Couch, did you play on the BB10? How did it stack up?

My finger is hovering over the 'Add To Cart' button right now... :mrgreen:

No, I never played BB10 but I did look at them since their specs are pretty much the same as the 8's. I have stocked up on the Tour 8's and didn't really consider them because of that. I probably have about 8 Tour 8's at the moment and am not about to let any of them go since I've tried to make switches in the past and always went back.

You really can't beat $80 for the BB10 though. I guess I'd do a search and see what you can find on the BB10. Sorry I can't help.

Um...?
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
You really can't beat $80 for the BB10 though. I guess I'd do a search and see what you can find on the BB10. Sorry I can't help.

Well shoot... now you've got me BACK to researching the Pure Storms! And I'm like you, I love my 8's, but wouldn't mind having a teensyweensybit of variety in my bag.

What I SHOULD be working on is what to tell my wife when I come home with more racquets. ;-)

Thanks for your feedback.

couch
04-29-2008, 03:55 PM
What I SHOULD be working on is what to tell my wife when I come home with more racquets. ;-)

Thanks for your feedback.

I've already bought one PS and have another on order so I'm working on the same thing. :) Plus I'll have to get a new Babolat bag to match so I'm gonna have to come up with something good. :) Actually, I need a new bag a lot worst than I need racquets. My current bag is as old as my oldest Tour 8.

Good Luck.

CTPark
05-02-2008, 06:42 AM
I just want to add that I am so glad that I found other Tour 8 fans. I played with Tour 8 few years ago, loved it so much. But I could not find sellers anywhere, eventually gave up and swithched to Wilson n six-one 95. But I still think tour 8 was the best racquet I have ever used. There was nothing like it.

couch
09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Hate to bump an old thread but any "new" suggestions? I still have some Tour 8s that I'm using but looking for a replacement at the moment. There is literally nothing on the market that seems comparable. I've tried just about every "comparable" racquet just wondering if there is one I'm overlooking.

Hard to find a straight-beamed, relatively thin-beamed for the power level and fairly head-light in an extended 100 sq in frame. The pure drive+ seems a good candidate but feel is very different and feels sluggish compared to my tour 8.

TennisMaverick
09-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Hate to bump an old thread but any "new" suggestions? I still have some Tour 8s that I'm using but looking for a replacement at the moment. There is literally nothing on the market that seems comparable. I've tried just about every "comparable" racquet just wondering if there is one I'm overlooking.

Hard to find a straight-beamed, relatively thin-beamed for the power level and fairly head-light in an extended 100 sq in frame. The pure drive+ seems a good candidate but feel is very different and feels sluggish compared to my tour 8.

The key to the Tour 8 was the head shape and beam width. There are few 100in2 that are only 20mm and none that are non-teardrop shaped. That is why Volkl hasn't brought the frame back; all the best selling 100in2 are teardrop shaped. But there maybe a surprise in store. With that being said, the recommended Volkl replacement for the T8 is the X10 295. It plays more like a 100in2 than a 98in2, and it has the same head shape as the T8. There are few extended frames, so you will be hard pressed to replicate that. With the Volkl pallet system, it is easy to do on your own, or, email Volkl and see if they would be willing to sell you an unfinished frame; all Volkl frames are made 28+ inches before cutting to length.

couch
09-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks TM. I consider the Tour 8 a true "players" tweener and there really isn't anything like it. I am demoing an X10 295 right now. Hit with it a bit today and liked the way it swung (similar to the 8). I will have to experiment with different strings but I'm not quite sure if it's going to fit the bill. If I could get it in a 27.5" version then it would be fairly close. The X10 295 felt a little stiffer than the 62 that TW has it listed at. The things I like about the 8 are that it swings easily for a 27.5" frame and has nice, controllable, power. It also has a fairly low swing weight combined with a headlight balance.

It's almost like I have to go to a pure "tweener" racquet or go to more of a "players" racquet. :-(.

tball
10-01-2011, 08:55 AM
This frame is still available as Volkl Tour Crusher, but not in the US. It is sold in Australia, China and Europe. It's even painted the same. The only thing different about it is the word "Crusher" on the side.

couch
10-01-2011, 09:11 AM
This frame is still available as Volkl Tour Crusher, but not in the US. It is sold in Australia, China and Europe. It's even painted the same. The only thing different about it is the word "Crusher" on the side.

Thanks. I've already looked into it but ordering from Europe and China is not the easiest thing to do. I found them a while back in the Czech Republic and China and there is definitely a communication breakdown. Hate to spend the money and not get what I want and/or not get it at all.

Thanks for the help though. I'll may have to potentially revisit the Crusher though. However, I'd like to move to something a little newer (for whatever reason).

couch
10-06-2011, 06:28 PM
The key to the Tour 8 was the head shape and beam width. There are few 100in2 that are only 20mm and none that are non-teardrop shaped. That is why Volkl hasn't brought the frame back; all the best selling 100in2 are teardrop shaped. But there maybe a surprise in store.

Can you drop any hints as to what the surprise might be? Curious minds want to know. :-)

michael valek
10-07-2011, 02:50 AM
another vote for any of the kneissl red stars, old versions or new version

dParis
10-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Can you drop any hints as to what the surprise might be? Curious minds want to know. :-)
Sounded like design parameters for the X9 were up in the air, so there's no telling what it might look like...

TennisMaverick
10-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Sounded like design parameters for the X9 were up in the air, so there's no telling what it might look like...

Chances of the X9 being other than 98in2 is very small, but you may really like the BB NYC.

I know that it's thicker, but have you T8 users tried the Tour Scorcher?

couch
10-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Chances of the X9 being other than 98in2 is very small, but you may really like the BB NYC.

I know that it's thicker, but have you T8 users tried the Tour Scorcher?

Scorcher doesn't really look like it's worth a try. It's about 10 oz strung, 60 RA, and 27" long where the Tour 8 is 11 oz strung, 70 RA, and 27.6" long. I know it's somewhat the same mold but really different spec wise.

couch
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
What's the BB NYC?

TennisMaverick
10-07-2011, 07:33 PM
What's the BB NYC?

I'm told that it is BB's Homeland Security upgrade with DC, possibly 100in2, specifically designed as a sniper weapon to shoot down passing shots trying to break through volleying walls inside of Louis Armstrong Stadium--but that's just the early rumor.

couch
10-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm told that it is BB's Homeland Security upgrade with DC, possibly 100in2, specifically designed as a sniper weapon to shoot down passing shots trying to break through volleying walls inside of Louis Armstrong Stadium--but that's just the early rumor.

Sounds right up my alley. :). Make it 27.5" and I'm all over it. It seems, however, extended length racquets are not en vogue anymore. :cry: