PDA

View Full Version : How are we judging rackets

babolat15
04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok,

So lets all say that the K6.1 95 gives you the most plow through of current frames on the market. Does that necessarily make it better that a microgel radical or in my case a babolat aeropro drive. I have been wondering about this because I m not sure that I want to spend money on k6.1 95s if I'm not really going to play much better with it than with my babolats.
Its the player not the racket, correct. Correct me if I'm wrong. What are your thoughts on this topic.

bcast66
04-24-2008, 12:06 PM
it is the player, but the player can be held back by the racquet if it doesent suit them. but if there is no difference in play stick with your apdc.

FH2FH
04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for a new idea for my signature. Basically that's how I see it. People buy racquets because they want to bandaid their problems, without making the effort to play any differently. The people who've made the effort don't actually have to buy them! How ironic.

babolat15
04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
^^i hope your saying that what i said was good. my theory is, i can play well with any rackets and i can play poorly with any racket

Richie Rich
04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
it's the player, not the racquet for the most part. my point is that i can play with pretty much anything once i get used to it. however, there are frames that don't feel good. i hit an ok ball with them but they feel like hitting with a frying pan, for whatever reason.

once you find a racquet that you are comfortable with then it's down to you

baek57
04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
it comes down to what racquet feels good and what you like using. if you play good with your babolat, but dont like using it, i'd say get a different racquet otherwise there shouldnt be a reason to switch.

FH2FH
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
It's all relative. I wonder if people used to be so OC (obsessive compulsive) about their wood racquets? Like... "Yeah, I like these 'cat gut' strings I have in here, but I think next time I'll string them .0025 pounds lower to tame the power of this 60 sq/in game improvement racquet I bought. It's just too much racquet for a fast surface like hardcourt." lol

Tennisman912
04-24-2008, 05:30 PM
babolat15

There is quite a difference in the plough effect of the racquets you mentioned. It is the very high swing weight that gives it that feel. Whether or not it will help or hurt you depends on your strength and playing level. If you can’t get the racquet around, then you won’t be able to take advantage of using that racquet. I am not sure of your level, but in truth, most people struggle with a racquet with that high of a swing weight, especially below 4.5 or so. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a good fit for you, no matter your level, it just means go in with your eyes open. I get the impression from your post that you haven’t played with it. Go demo it and see what you think.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

TM

baseline08thrasher
04-24-2008, 06:31 PM
it comes down to how well a racket feels when you hit the ball and how well they hide your weaknesses, and how well they help your strength.
So you need to even it out sometimes.
power or control? pop or placement?
If you have too much of one thing, go for the other.
Or if your consistent all around go for something with both power and control if you know what i mean.
Like an aggressive baseliner should look at wilsons which are very good for control.
And a person who doesn't hit with so much pace should go for a prince, because they offer alot of pop.
:D

Agent Orynge
04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I think the OP is a little confused by all the recent talk about 'plow through'. Plow through is just another characteristic of the racquet, it's not the end all of playability. My firm belief is that racquet choice ultimately comes down to preference. You figure out the qualities or specifications you like in a racquet, either by research or demoing, and you demo more or buy based on that.

Shashwat
04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I've been bageled by a 5.5 player using a Head titanium crap racquet.

:|