PDA

View Full Version : Anybody cut down an RDS 003?

Syfo-Dias
04-24-2008, 02:43 PM

sargeinaz
04-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Ive demoed the stick and the extra 0.25 inches wasn't noticeable to me. Perhaps you will feel the same.
________
Katvlarop (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/katvlarop/)

deme08
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
It might be less than 0.25 inch difference. I measured my RDS001 supposedly 27inch but its about 1/8 if an inch short. May be the same case with the 003.

Automatix
04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh! Oh! Sorry to hijack the thread but Master Dias enlighten me with a comparison of the RDX 500 and RQiS Tour-1? I too possess the RDX 500 (Mid version) and would be glad to read a comparison.

SFrazeur
04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
It might be less than 0.25 inch difference. I measured my RDS001 supposedly 27inch but its about 1/8 if an inch short. May be the same case with the 003.

Was the racquet measured strung or unstrung? While it is certainly possible the racquet could be 1/8 short, I would argue that there is a greater chance that this would be caused by the stringing of the racquet.

-SF

Automatix
04-25-2008, 11:50 PM
To be honest, I like the RDX 500 Mid better. The RQiS 1 is pretty good, but it just doesn't have the same sweet feel that the RDX has. I think the thicker beam on the RQiS has something to do with that. The one advantage the RQiS has over the RDX is forgiveness due to the larger hitting surface. Power wise they seem about the same to me. If you're not having problems with the RDX, I'd stick with it.

Master Dias if I could get my hands on 4 or 5 new RDX 500 Mids I would stick with them but I only have one! That's why a decent replacement is also needed. I play tournaments and need at least 3 racquets at a time and often take 4 with me so as you see I don't have much of a choice... I'm currently playing with the i.Prestige Mid XLs but when nerves get to me I start make stupid mistakes... with the RDX 500 Mid I felt much better, much more comfortable and had better results (in practice matches of course... I would never play a tournament with 1 frame :) suicide I tell you!)... thx for the reply by the way!

The RDX 500 Mid power level close to the RQiS Tour-1... that is GREAT news. Thx a bunch!

DomStar7
04-26-2008, 01:06 AM
they round lengths up
so if an rds 001 was 26.9" then they would just say 27"

tennis_guy
04-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I used it and I have a one handed backhand and it was no problem. All my shots improved with using that racket.

martin
05-29-2008, 06:11 AM
I will cut my rds 003 to a standard length. I will have the rackets back within two weeks.
I'm very curious how it will play. It was almost perfect except for the extra length.

05-29-2008, 06:17 AM
LOL Bluegrasser's has: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=119649

martin
07-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey martin, did you ever play your shortened 003? I finally started using the 003 myself recently and I have really liked it a lot. It serves really nice and has tons of spin potential. The extra length did feel a little weird to me, so I just finished cutting it down to exactly 27 inches. I used a miter box and a 12 inch, 24 TPI metal blade to cut through the handle. It cut through super easily and came out perfect. It feels a lot more comfortable to swing now and I'm looking forward to testing it out on the courts tomorrow.

That was the best thing you could have done. It swings a lot lighter so i placed some extra leadtape(3 grams) at 12 o'clock plus headguard tape which weighs around 3-4 grams for a higher SW and to raise the sweetspot as this is the place where i and most other people tend to hit the ball and i placed 7 grams along the handle. It probably has the same swingweight as the extra length but still is so much easier to wield especially at the net. I see no disadvantages. Even my serve has improved. My service motion is faster because of the shorter length.

shavenyak
07-12-2008, 09:44 PM
The way to shorten your racket is to take the grip off, remove the buttcap, clamp the handle in a bench vice (not too hard, you don't want to damage the foam) and cut the excess off with a hacksaw. Put the buttcap back on with staples, small nails, or a glue of some sort, replace the grip and go play. I've done it before, it's not hard at all.

shavenyak
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Umm, yeah I already know that and I've already done the modifying. Did you even read the post? We were discussing the effects of shortening the RDS 003 in particular.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were asking about how to do it, not how it affected play.

martin
07-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Umm, yeah I already know that and I've already done the modifying. Did you even read the post? We were discussing the effects of shortening the RDS 003 in particular.

Would be curious what you think of the now shorter rds003 compared to the rds002 non-tour? I know you had this racket for a while. I'm curious how the rds002 would compare especially if you would customize both rackets with leadtape.

travlerajm
07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
My current favorite racquet is a POG LB (100 sq-in.) that I cut down to 26.75". I think this is the optimal length for forehands, serves, or any one-handed shot with a 100 sq.in. head.

But I've found that a shortened frame plays better with extra weight to recover the power. I have added 43g to the sides of the hoop (because the POG LB has a much lighter hoop than most frames). I've also added an ounce to the butt and 20g to the top of the handle. Total weight is now 13.9 oz. But SW is about 356, and it feels and swings much lighter than you would expect due to the shorter length. Most stable and best frame I've ever used.

I posted a review thread on it.

backhand
07-13-2008, 04:09 PM
OK, measure where you hit each ball on the racquet head. Unless you're over 5.0, assume there will be a scatter over 4-6 inches, minimum. Now take notice of where you grip your racquet each time you change it or serve with it. Assume there will be a range of 1/2 to 1 inch, not even in the heat of battle.

And you're trying to argue that a difference of 1/4 inch in the length of the handle (as opposed to where you grip it) will make any significant difference in your swing?

counterpuncher
07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
And you're trying to argue that a difference of 1/4 inch in the length of the handle (as opposed to where you grip it) will make any significant difference in your swing?
While it sounds insane I have hit with many 27.25" and 27.5" racquets and I can ALWAYS tell that they're not standard length. While it doesn't effect your swing that much, the feel is different and I have nowhere near the confidence level in groundstrokes and serves as I do with a standard length. As soon as I switch back to a standard length the difference is very noticeable.

backhand
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Counterpuncher, don't think it sounds insane at all. I've never been higher than a 4.0 and I can feel the difference between a 27 and a 27.5 of the same model. But point is, I think the diff reflects fact that longer models tend to have higher swingweights and be less headlight. And are often different flex. Not always but usually. So hunch is, we're reacting to the difference in these parameters, not to actual location of our hand relative to the sweetspot. And as someone said way back at the start of this thread, if you just cut off a bit of the handle, you will alter all the other parameters, from swingweight to flex. Just the physics of it.

But say you cut off a bit and then very carefully readjusted the racquet to be identical to the longer version, that'd be the test of whether it makes as much difference as normal variance in our ball strike...

counterpuncher
07-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I agree that all those variables change and if I adjusted the racquet (weight, sw, balance, flex, etc..) the strike zone would be pretty much the same.

However as I grip a racquet very much at the butt cap, the length for me is most noticeable. During practice hit-ups with friends I often take out different racquets and swap with friends and I always notice which are extended length. I am very conscious of the length of my K95x and my friends MP-2i, Hornet, Diablo XP, V-Con 17, Tour 8 as opposed to LM Rad, Cat 10, Prestige Pro, RQiS1 and RDS002 Tour.