PDA

View Full Version : hyper hammer 4.3 with powerholes

hyogen
04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
some sophomore at a high school here was playing really well today. I'd say he's a pretty strong 4.5, mainly cuz of his serve. he tons of power and spin. I'd say almost 120mph...at least 110.

i looked at his racquet and it had powerholes... was pretty light and felt like a tweener. was a hyper hammer 4.3. had some pretty thin gauge polys...probably 17g. powerholes...... european??

I told him he should use a racquet with more feel b/c he was quite often hitting shots a little too long *WITH* the disclaimer that I was a racquet geek--playing with a stick that was too good for me -_-

anyways, he was acing people left and right. I never really had a nice clean solid return off of him... he kept mixing up his serves really well. I lost my serve to him 2 games, but held serve 3 games against him and aced him 2x too :D

sometimes wish I was using a powerful light racquet so I could play better RIGHT NOW--but I will stick with my pt280. I am getting my 2nd PT280 soon and probably will never go back to polys again. don't like my bluegear/spiral flex setup that much.

my new job is going well! I'm gonna be able to get lessons maybe in a few months :D

diredesire
04-25-2008, 01:37 AM
What is the question?

4.3 was blue, had power holes, it was a US release, many frames had power holes. They suck.

hyogen
04-25-2008, 07:33 AM
ah i see. it was mostly black, a little bit of blue.

thanks

OnyxZ28
04-25-2008, 07:55 AM
On the other hand -- the Wilson Hammer 6.4 Power Holes was an awesome stick. My sis still uses those and I snag one for her whenever I see one on eeeebhey.

hotseat
04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
What is the question?

4.3 was blue, had power holes, it was a US release, many frames had power holes. They suck.

more important than all of this, people who still play with these (since they are now very old and have foam sticking out of the powerholes around the grommets) truly hate their stringers....

tennis_guy
04-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Funny think is he'd probably beat most of the people here using his 'light, crappy racket'.

el sergento
04-25-2008, 10:40 AM
What the devil are powerholes??

Is that like when homer made "speedholes" in Flanders' car "to make it go faster"?

SFrazeur
04-25-2008, 11:43 AM
What the devil are powerholes??

Is that like when homer made "speedholes" in Flanders' car "to make it go faster"?

Do a google image search: for "Wilson powerholes"

-SF

DomStar7
04-25-2008, 11:52 AM
i have a 6.3 and it is awesome
only thing is it is head heavy

pmerk34
04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
On the other hand -- the Wilson Hammer 6.4 Power Holes was an awesome stick. My sis still uses those and I snag one for her whenever I see one on eeeebhey.
Worst racquet ever at least for me. Broke 4 or 5 strings at a time on three occasions within a month.

PBODY99
04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Players who loved this frame, loved it. As a stringer who had a client who worked nights and would drop off a pair @ 10pm he had to have at 7 am in the morning; I hate them.
Serena used the 6.3 to win her first Major & continued to use a paint job of it until the model before her current stick.

NLBwell
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Whenever I saw an opponent of mine show up with a racket with powerholes, I knew I would win the match (never lost to anyone playing with one). It wasn't that they couldn't hit most shots fine with it. However, I had a very big serve (until I tore my elbow tendon) and when they tried to return my serve, the ball would just fly on them. The racket was very inconsistent if the ball was hit hard and sank into the string bed. Notice that Serena makes far fewer unforced errors now playing with a racket with a much denser and controllable stringbed.