PDA

View Full Version : T-FLASH 310 Mini review

drak
04-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Hit and played 2 hrs with it, am an all court 4.5 player. Have used a ton of rackets in the 11-11.5 tweener area. Most recently played with RDS002 (lighter one), Aerogel 500, and Pure Storm team.

The TFlash specced out at 11.5 oz and about 7 pts HL stock w/dampener.

What stood out - easily most solid/stable and "player like" of the rackets mentioned above and almost all of the 11 -11.5 oz frames. Racket was great at volleys (simply rock solid) - touch volleys not quite as good as the normal ones - but still good.

Groundstrokes: For my game just about the perfect blend of controllable power pretty consistent stringbed. Could generate consistent depth wih spin very easy to access. Hits a pretty heavy ball, what I really noticed was that the ball drove through the court better than most rackets in this category.

Forehand: Was the shot that really stood out for me, the more "head -like" grip meshed well with my SW forehand. Could flatten it out or hit a hit topper with ease. For some reason could really punish short balls with consistency.

Backhand - 1H: Here was the most difficult adjustment and I think it was mostly the grip shape, I hit it okay but was constantly searching for the "right grip" - when I had time and found it was very solid. I think this is simply more of an adjustment than anything else. Slice backhand was solid.

Serve: My serve is okay/solid and that's how I felt serving with this stick. Was very consistent with placement and had solid pace. For me a better serving stick than RDS002 or Pure Storm team, about equal with AeroGel 500 tour. Pretty decent kick. it was only one day and I feel more adjustment is needed.

Feel/Comfort: For example, had much better "feel" than the Aerogel 500 tour that has none for me, could just barely feel the racket flex some which was actually about right for me.
I strung it with ArmourPro gut mains/ Rip Control X's as I have a sensitive elbow and shoulder - felt fine with this setup at 53-54 lbs.

Summation: Is it a lighter more powerful player's racket? or a heavier tweener? This frame stock, with NO needed lead additions (which I have grown tired of!), really seems to bridge that gap for those who can't handle a 12oz or higher stick, but find the 11oz tweeners too much of a change. So far I'd say Technifibre has filled that niche nicely with this frame. I need a lot more play with it, should be an excellend dubs frame as well. Well worth a Demo for those looking for a frame in this category.

0d1n
04-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Nice mini-review. Comparisons with the the Pure Drive...LM Instinct or various Radicals would be welcome since those are likely to be better known than the RDS 002:)

martin
04-25-2008, 05:59 AM
What about groundstrokes. Did it have considerable more power than the pure storm team and rds002 light?

drak
04-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Nice mini-review. Comparisons with the the Pure Drive...LM Instinct or various Radicals would be welcome since those are likely to be better known than the RDS 002:)

Have not played much with head rackets, but much better "all around" stick than pure drive IMO, especially on volleys and IMO "controllable" power. This rackets really hits nice groundstrokes, excellent spin potential and handles the flat shot very nicely as well. IMO as one of the reviewers said in the TW section - "what a pure drive should have been", I agree with that.

drak
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
What about groundstrokes. Did it have considerable more power than the pure storm team and rds002 light?

Was more stable with better plow through than either frame you mentioned, still very manuerveable with 7 pt HL rating my stick had. And it had modestly more power than RDS002 or Pure storm team, and just as "controllable" power whick is key - easily vollets better than either stock. And I am comparing either stock or modestly modified RDS002 or Pure Storm frames.

f1 tech
04-25-2008, 06:33 AM
This is one of my favorite racquets of all time. For me, it hits both forehand and backhand (2HBH) great. I volleyed great with it as well. Only thing bad for me was the serve, I just couldn't get enough juice in them. Overall, this is a very crisp racquet, especially with Yonex 850 Pro. I think this a much better racquet than the PD in comfort and feel.

BTW, My 310s felt more like an even balance than the 7HL. I used 16 ga. strings and the Vibraclip.

drak
04-25-2008, 07:39 AM
This is one of my favorite racquets of all time. For me, it hits both forehand and backhand (2HBH) great. I volleyed great with it as well. Only thing bad for me was the serve, I just couldn't get enough juice in them. Overall, this is a very crisp racquet, especially with Yonex 850 Pro. I think this a much better racquet than the PD in comfort and feel.

BTW, My 310s felt more like an even balance than the 7HL. I used 16 ga. strings and the Vibraclip.

Interesting on the balance, have you checked what it actually is. Just a tape measure and flat surface will get it done. For me it was okay on the serve, I did think I hit a bit of a "heavier" serve than those other frames.

ollinger
04-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I've been using the 310 for about 6-7 months and have a similar experience to yours. Great off both sides on groundstrokes, great returns, volleys well, accurate though not overly heavy on serve. Groundstrokes really do penetrate -- balls I expect my opponent to get to dart through for winners. I'm used to Prince grip shape so I buy this racquet 4 1/4 and build up the side bevels, so the grip now suits me fine. Alupower works really well in this racquet, ProHurricane Tour pretty good too.

drak
04-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I've been using the 310 for about 6-7 months and have a similar experience to yours. Great off both sides on groundstrokes, great returns, volleys well, accurate though not overly heavy on serve. Groundstrokes really do penetrate -- balls I expect my opponent to get to dart through for winners. I'm used to Prince grip shape so I buy this racquet 4 1/4 and build up the side bevels, so the grip now suits me fine. Alupower works really well in this racquet, ProHurricane Tour pretty good too.

I would think a Poly like in this racket would play great, my elbow/shoulder just can't take Poly in almost any frame. The muted Armour/Pro wit Rip in the crosses felt really good.

I played with a guy I play with regularly and I think he was surprised by how many balls he did not get to off my groundstrokes, several balls he thought he "should" get just went by him - I was pleasantly surprised as well. I'm hitting again today so it will be interesting to see how the second session goes.

rayallen333
04-26-2008, 08:18 AM
can anyone compare it to the LM Rad OS?

ollinger
04-26-2008, 08:59 AM
I briefly hit with a demo LM Rad OS once, found very little spin from it -- lots of spin with the 310. 310 probably a little more powerful, LM expectably a little more stable. I didn't find the LM a racquet for people who really whip their groundstrokes, 310 works quite well when used this way.

drak
04-26-2008, 09:18 AM
I briefly hit with a demo LM Rad OS once, found very little spin from it -- lots of spin with the 310. 310 probably a little more powerful, LM expectably a little more stable. I didn't find the LM a racquet for people who really whip their groundstrokes, 310 works quite well when used this way.

Got a second hit with it yesterday against a big hitter. I was wondering how it would handle his pace, not as good as most 12 oz frames but a good bit better than RDS002 or Aerogel 500 tour or Pure storm teams I recently had. It did easily volley better than any of those and I am liking the 11.5 oz "compromise" weight quite a bit, still a very mobile and easy to swing frame at 11.5 oz and 7 pts HL. Love the forehand with this frame, starting to adjust to the backhand - I use a 1-hander. So far very comfortable with the gut hybrid I am using.

ollinger
04-26-2008, 01:37 PM
The only 11.5 ounce racquets I've ever used that handle the heavy ball as well as the 12 ouncers are the Prokennex PSE racquets, two of which are 11.5 ounces but have swingweights of 328-330. They can be bears to swing fast.

drak
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
The 310 seems to be a "tweener" of a Tweener if that makes sense. Its not as far away from a classic 12 oz stick as the usual 11 or so oz frame, it seems to about "split the difference". And I do like it with no mods, I am tired of messin with those.

rayallen333
04-27-2008, 08:26 AM
What's the most similar racquet to the 310?

drak
04-28-2008, 04:27 AM
What's the most similar racquet to the 310?

Hmmm. that I have hit with perhaps a couple of the Pro Kennex frames in that weight area, the older Pure control that weighed near 11.7 oz, neither played as nicely overall as this frame "for me".

rayallen333
04-29-2008, 05:47 PM
I played with this racquet today (surprise)! after our high school match. The kid who had it played 3rd singles, counterpuncher (annoyed the hell out of our player, who did manage to beat him) so I asked him if I can try it out. He was a nice guy and let me but told me the strings (big bangers) we're a little dead.

Impressions: beam width seemed a little thick to me, decent weight, LOTS of power/spin (maybe due to stringing?), okay stability (less than my LM Rad OS), swings lighter than its static weight suggests (he had a little bit of lead tape at 3 and 9 but no overgrip, so about 11.9ish?). I played kinda poorly (hacked a lot) because of the difference, but still interested because of the more power than LM rad.

Anyways, how does it play with synthetic or multi? I dont like poly so I wont use it on the 310 if I do purchase one.

f1 tech
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Has anyone tried both the 18x20 and 16x19 versions? I'm thinking about getting the 310 again. I have only tried the 16 version.

ollinger
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I tried both versions and settled on 16x19. More spin, still has plenty of control. I've mostly used Alupower with fine results, tried the Bab hybrid tonight (ProHurricane Tour and multi) and really loved it, felt I had more touch at the net, lots of power.

rayallen333
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
how does this racquet compare to the O3 white, pure drive and aeropro drive?

f1 tech
05-07-2008, 01:04 PM
how does this racquet compare to the O3 white, pure drive and aeropro drive?

I've tried all except for the Aeropro.
O3 - More powerful, not as crisp, lack feel, more comfortable
PD - More powerful, very stiff, not as comfortable

Overall, the 310 has the best combo in power and control, especially with Yonex 850 pro string.

rayallen333
05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks a lot. I really really want to demo it (along with the aeropro drive) but none of the stores near me have it :(. Actually, if anyone is from columbus OH, please suggest a shop to me.

Seacoast Stringer
05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I had about an hour hit with this stick last night and it was a pleasant surprise. I don't usually go for power/beamy frames but this one had a huge sweetspot, decent control,wicked spin (helped with control) and great pop and crisp volleys. Didn't get to serve much with it but it was also comfortable for the flex rating. VERY nice weight and balance so racquethead speed was ideal. Nice frame from Tecnifibre.

f1 tech
05-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Many people seem to be drawn to the whole Pure Drive thing, but I think this racquet plays much better. Hopefully, Baghdatis can help bring this racquet brand mainstream.

0d1n
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I had about an hour hit with this stick last night and it was a pleasant surprise. I don't usually go for power/beamy frames but this one had a huge sweetspot, decent control,wicked spin (helped with control) and great pop and crisp volleys. Didn't get to serve much with it but it was also comfortable for the flex rating. VERY nice weight and balance so racquethead speed was ideal. Nice frame from Tecnifibre.

Which string pattern did you try ?? Never hit with a TF racket but I'm quite intrigued by them.
Not very popular around here (never saw any in real life :P) so I can't really try them without buying them :|. The T-Fight 320 seems like a great control stick with plenty of "customizing potential".

Seacoast Stringer
05-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Which string pattern did you try ?? Never hit with a TF racket but I'm quite intrigued by them.
Not very popular around here (never saw any in real life :P) so I can't really try them without buying them :|. The T-Fight 320 seems like a great control stick with plenty of "customizing potential".

I hit with the TFights late last year and liked the 335 and the 320. The 335 was a great frame that hit a very heavy ball and was a serving machine..but a bit on the heavy side. You are spot on re: the 320 as it had wonderful control and with some added weight could generate decent pop.

The TFlash 310 that I tried had the 16 x 19 pattern. I have been very impressed with Tecnifibre's frames in general. The TFlash was definitely more of a power racquet as compared to the less stiff more control oriented TFights.

rayallen333
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Seacoast - how does the 310 compare to your normal vantage racquet?

Seacoast Stringer
05-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Seacoast - how does the 310 compare to your normal vantage racquet?

The 310 had a wider beam, felt a little stiffer and had more power. Both frames have nice, similar sweetspots. For slightly more control, comfort, and feel I would go with the Vantage. For a little more spin and power I would lean toward the 310. I hope that helps.

ohplease
05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
I was really excited by the 310 (16x19) before actually trying the thing. It's not terrible, but there's lots of better player/tweener frames out there, microgel extreme, aerogel 500 tour, speedport black, etc.

rayallen333
05-31-2008, 12:55 PM
SeaCoast - how would you compare it to the APDC or wilson 6.1 series? Thanks for the replies.

ohplease - what do you find worse about the 310?

njjohan
06-04-2008, 08:46 AM
what's the serving potential like versus the pure drive?

rayallen333
06-07-2008, 12:44 PM
anyone care to compare?

f1 tech
06-08-2008, 06:51 AM
I think the PD is a better serving stick. I would have stuck with the PD, but it gave me really bad tennis elbow, especially during my serves. I didn't have that issue with the 310. Also, the PD feels lighter and a little "teenie".

rayallen333
06-08-2008, 07:33 PM
How is the racquet at net? Would you recommend it for doubles?

f1 tech
06-09-2008, 06:23 AM
According to Tecnifibre, the Tflash is more for an all courter than a baseliner. I think the TFlash volleys well. It's headlight and also has enough mass in the head to punch volleys. It is definitely a great racket. You should just demo one.

rayallen333
06-09-2008, 07:49 AM
f1, what other tweeners would you recommend to demo with the 310? Also, how does the spin compare with the babolats?

f1 tech
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I would try the O3 White. I really enjoyed that racquet as well.

drak
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
f1, what other tweeners would you recommend to demo with the 310? Also, how does the spin compare with the babolats?

The 310 is a good frame, mine stock was too HL and I had to add some modest weight to the head. I got it up to 11.7 oz and 6 pts HL and it plays a lot more solid than the 11.4 oz and 8 pts HL it was stock. Nice stick, does not serve as well as a PD but serves solid, much easier on the arm.

f1 tech
07-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I just bought 3 used TFlash 310 this weekend. I really miss it. It took me a while to get the right grip size. I'm going to play around with the specs and strings setup. I'll post it on here.

hoodjem
07-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Was more stable with better plow through than either frame you mentioned, still very manuerveable with 7 pt HL rating my stick had. And it had modestly more power than RDS002 or Pure storm team, and just as "controllable" power whick is key - easily vollets better than either stock. And I am comparing either stock or modestly modified RDS002 or Pure Storm frames.

Which stringbed: 16 X 19 or 18 X 20?

f1 tech
07-06-2008, 02:43 PM
16x19. I haven't tried the 18x20 yet.

Ross K
07-06-2008, 09:30 PM
I'd really like to know more about how the Tflash 310 compares to the Tfight 320 (I'm familiar with the 18x20 pattern.) Is it a similar very low SW? Is it suitable for 2hbh? (I've had problems with this on the 320.) And can can someone say a bit more re the 310 on the serve? (A few ppl have said it doesn't serve as well as the PD - but then very few frames do?!)

Thanks,

R.

onkystomper
07-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I have just got hold of a Tflah 310 18 x 20 so will string it up and try and hit the courts to let you know what i think. As you know Ross i have used the T-fight quite a while so hopefully will be able to provide you with some good info :)

f1 tech
07-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I've had the 310 and 320. They're night and day. 320 swings lighter, but not by much. 320 feels more solid, due to weigh (12 oz), while the 310 is much more crisp. The 320 really lacks power in my opinion, you really have to have a big swing.

I have a 2HBH and I can always drive the ball well. PD serves better but it doesn't feel as comfortable as the 310 doing it. I think if you put some lead tape on the hoop, the 310 will be a monster serving racquet.

f1 tech
07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
So I strung up one of my 310s with Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17 gauge. I have to say it's not as good as the Yonex 850 Pro. The Maxim has a more suppressed feel, almost mute, where the 850 has a nice crisp pop. I didn't find that with the Maxim. Comfort was good and power was ok. Again, I think the 850 is better as well. I'm going to string up Big Ace next.

2nd_Serve
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice review. Thanks.

Il Mostro
07-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Good thread and nice review. I am thinking of dabbling with TF sticks. I hit with a friend's T Fighter 325 and liked it; especially good for a base-line player IMO. Sounds like the T Flashes are a better fit for my taste.

Miami Tiburon
07-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Just ordered yesterday a new 310 was actually looking for a second 320 which has become my main stick.I got a very good deal on the 310 so Iam going to give it a shot after all the positive reviews I have read.I will post my own review after I play with it.I have to tell you how happy Iam with Tecnifibre racquets they just make great sticks.

Il Mostro
08-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I did wind up getting a T Flash 290 and after playing with it for a while now am really liking it a lot. It really suits just about every aspect of my game. The only fault I can find that it is less stable than my APDC on return of big serves. Also, while my serves are less "heavy" than APDC my serving has been more effective overall -- more control, better kicks and slices and very nice pace.

Question: Has anyone hit with both the 290 and 310?

According to TW, the 290 actually has a slightly higher swing weight than the 310. They also say it is 3 points HL, while TF says it is 6 points HL (feels close to the TW spec to me, pretty even balance). I am guessing that the 290 has a bit more power and the 310 leans towards a little more control -- although I have found the 290's control to be excellent. Looking at the TW specs, is the 310 simply a 290 with a half ounce of weight distributed towards the handle?

The hoops look identical, so I am puzzled by the small difference in stiffness ratings and the different tension ranges.

Thanks in advance for your comparisons and input. BTW, anyone hit with the 290 VO2 Max yet?