PDA

View Full Version : Calling NoBadMojo... trimming headguard and SW reduction?

SteveI
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Ed,

Hope all is well in sunny FL. I know a bit back you had as your main stick, a Volkl Tour 10 (Gen 1 or 2?) with a trimmed-back bumperguard or headguard. If I remember right you did this to reduce SW. Any idea how much of a reduction in SW you obtained. I have done this with a frame close to the same specs as a Tour 10 and was looking for your insights on this modification. I hope I am not going to open the old SW battle by asking this question. I have trimmed off about 15 gms and have only really left a thin strip to hold the grommets in place. Any help would be great.

Regards,
Steve

NoBadMojo
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Steve..good to see you around here again. Everything is fine and sunny in sunny Florida. i'm just in from a hit. has the snow melted up there in the hinterland? ;)

You're asking the wrong guy, as I dont play by measurement. i would say that 15gms is quite a lot of weight to remove from the head of a racquet, and that would dramatically lower your swingweight, but it depends on the racquet (the weight distribution). I hope you havent started with an already pretty headlight racquet, as that would really mess up the dynamics of the frame. This type of surgery works best on racquets that arent so headlight and it doesnt take much to lower the swingweight. I dont know how many grams I removed from my gen1's..not many, but i would say it lowered the swingweight by 5 points easily even with putting leather grips on too. so i would say about 7.12567 swingweight points less..... The Gen2 is a frame i wouldnt remove weight from the head on. not much help i know, but that's all i' got :0
Hope this finds you well...Mojo

SteveI
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Hey Steve..good to see you around here again. Everything is fine and sunny in sunny Florida. i'm just in from a hit. has the snow melted up there in the hinterland? ;)

You're asking the wrong guy, as I dont play by measurement. i would say that 15gms is quite a lot of weight to remove from the head of a racquet, and that would dramatically lower your swingweight, but it depends on the racquet (the weight distribution). I hope you havent started with an already pretty headlight racquet, as that would really mess up the dynamics of the frame. This type of surgery works best on racquets that arent so headlight and it doesnt take much to lower the swingweight. I dont know how many grams I removed from my gen1's..not many, but i would say it lowered the swingweight by 5 points easily even with putting leather grips on too. so i would say about 7.12567 swingweight points less..... The Gen2 is a frame i wouldnt remove weight from the head on. not much help i know, but that's all i' got :0
Hope this finds you well...Mojo

Thanks for the insights... The frame was about 8 points HL before and about 9 points now.. and I am a "feel" guy also. I am guessing I took maybe 10 points of SW off. The frame was 12.20 oz before I did the trimming and is now right at 12.03. It does do thur the air better (or so it seems) to be sure and I can some better racket-head speed going (or so it seems). I know I am a 310-315 max SW player.. so I was trying to get a 320 SW frame into my zone or range.

Yes.. it is 73 degrees here today...:-)

You the man!!!

Steve

icorp
04-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Steve, just curious which racket you have that has similar specs to the Gen 1? Thanks!

SteveI
04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Steve, just curious which racket you have that has similar specs to the Gen 1? Thanks!

Old Gamma DF 9.5