PDA

View Full Version : Where do you play?

Craig Sheppard
01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
So where do most of you guys/gals play? Private club? City park? High School?

Craig

Camilio Pascual
01-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Hard to answer the question. I play in a private indoor club, city parks, and hit with friends.

Craig Sheppard
01-10-2005, 10:36 AM
You can vote for more than one option! ;-)

Gaines Hillix
01-10-2005, 10:52 AM
I use the courts in our subdivision. Most subdivsions built in the Atlanta area in the last 20 years have their own amenities including pool, clubhouse and tennis courts. That's one reason why the Atlanta area has so many players.

danniflava
01-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Private Club.

USCfan
01-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Summer-park
Winter-indoor club

el_mago
01-11-2005, 06:55 PM
All the above during all the seasons since it's always pretty warm here in the Sunshine State.

jayserinos99
01-11-2005, 08:13 PM
basically anywhere where it's free.

goober
01-11-2005, 09:35 PM
private club, city leagues and hit with friends. So all of the above except school team since I am way beyond school.

equinox
01-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Church tennis club, night tennis @ large tennis centres, tennis wall.

Nubarron
01-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Church tennis club... interesting! I wish my church had one of those. I play primarily in public parks during the warm months and indoor club during the winter. Do you guys feel that the club player personalities are different than the park players (obviously not in all cases)?

goober
01-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Church tennis club... interesting! I wish my church had one of those. I play primarily in public parks during the warm months and indoor club during the winter. Do you guys feel that the club player personalities are different than the park players (obviously not in all cases)?

private club players tend to be older and richer since it costs a lot of $$$ to join most of them. They are tad bit more snooty in some cases. Tenniswise I find private clubs generally have better players or rather greater number of better players. There are a lot more 5.0-6.0 players which you rarely see in public parks.

Craig Sheppard
01-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Do you guys feel that the club player personalities are different than the park players (obviously not in all cases)?

Absolutely... this question was an ulterior motive for asking this question as well. I've played in both places and I absolutely noticed a difference. For one, the club players seem a lot more serious about their game. They also take their equipment a lot more seriously. Presumably b/c they have more disposable income, but maybe because of the first reason. Both of these can have their ups and downsides of course. I've noticed park/city players are more laid back, more "journeyman" types that play whoever, wherever, and just want to play. I find the club players tend to devote more of their free time to tennis, and it's usually their main hobby... park players play more as a hobby. Not saying the park guys aren't as good, because many of them are as good or better.

It's funny, I think these environments relate well to the private/public school mentality... Having gone to public school and a private college, I've seen both types and how similar they are to tennis crowds is very eerie.

Craig

carTW
01-12-2005, 07:43 PM
So Craig, do you mostly play at the Millbrook Exchange Park?

Craig Sheppard
01-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Hey carTW, yes I do as a matter of fact... They have a great program there--glad I found it, I just moved here a few months ago. I'm playing on the 4.5 ladder this winter--have you played in their ladders at all? When I moved I looked at some clubs but then found the ladder at the Park and it seemed cool to check out. Am still debating about joining a club.

Craig

carTW
01-12-2005, 09:04 PM
I used to. I played in their 4.5 ladder 3 seasons in '97 & '98. I since moved to Cary, so I am playing at the Cary Tenis Center (we are getting the ACC tournament this Spring for the first time. It was at the Millbrook Park the past few years) and at our neighborhood court now.
But if you can afford the membership at the Raleigh Racquet Club, it is probably where you will find the highest concentration of good players in Raleigh. I joined a World Team Tennis team there this season (it is open to non-members this winter) and I am impressed with the level of the players there.