PDA

View Full Version : sunblock

mattyc
04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes i know this is the wrong section, but I believe this could be a worthwhile thread to benefit loads of people so deserves to be put in a higher profile section.......

can anyone recommend a good sun cream to play tennis in. Every summer i have the same dilemma,,,,, stinging eyes or burnt nose!!!!

if anyone has had good experience with a certain product, let me know as i am in need!!

cheers

OnyxZ28
04-25-2008, 02:23 PM
You could try searching the Health and Fitness subforum, just a thought.

SFrazeur
04-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Just because more people will be able to see a thread does not mean the right people will see it. Let's say there was a home repair forum. The electrical section was larger than the plumbing section. Now, if I have a question about replacing a wax gasket ring which section am I going to to post that in? You might post it in the electrical section because more will see it. But I would post it in the plumbing section of the forum because I want the people with a better chance of giving me better knowledge to see it.

-SF

mattyc
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
not true, more people read this bit than others so more people are likely to comment.

plus i cannot believe u sent a reply discussing importance of correct section. waste of time mate.

SFrazeur
04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
not true, more people read this bit than others so more people are likely to comment.

plus i cannot believe u sent a reply discussing importance of correct section. waste of time mate.

Yes, more people will comment, But is that a good thing? To continue with my example:

More people with knowledge of electrical systems might reply to my question about pluming in the electrical section. However, that does not mean just because I might get more replies that they will be better replies than the fewer replies I would get from people with more plumbing knowledge.

-SF

iorsms
04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
just found this in one post at the equipment section (inquiring about good sunscreen):

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/spe...ns/summary.php

Based on its findings, I ordered one sunscreen - Solar Rx Broad Spectrum SPF 30+ Sunblock - which is low on both health hazard and sun hazard. It isn't cheap ($27/100ml) but hopefully it will be an worthwhile investment. It's going to be delivered next week, and I'll get back to you with reviews after trying it out myself.

10sfreak
04-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I think "Fee" gave some pretty useful info about sunscreen in one of the threads last year...

meowmix
04-25-2008, 08:06 PM
I always just use whatever's around. Usually, I go with a SPF50 sunblock lotion. So far, the 3 or 4 that I've bought all work about the same, whether I'm in the water, on the court, or in the wilderness.

fastswingVD
04-25-2008, 08:13 PM
SFrazeur you're getting annoying
just let him continue with his topic
anything bother you?

SFrazeur
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
SFrazeur you're getting annoying
just let him continue with his topic
anything bother you?

I typed out a little simple logic. Why those two posts should annoy you so I am not quite sure. Enjoy the rest of your first month here.

-SF

OrangeOne
04-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I typed out a little simple logic. Why those two posts should annoy you so I am not quite sure. Enjoy the rest of your first month here.-SF

Smack-down! The old-school ex-mod puts the rookie right back on the bench :D

quest01
04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I use Copperstone Sport sunblock lotion with 30 SPF which I think is pretty good. I would recommend buying the lotion and not the spray kind because the smell can be irritating.

beedlejuice22
04-26-2008, 04:19 AM
anything that sprays on is usually pretty good. get a spray-on sweat resistent one

gangster33
04-26-2008, 05:17 AM
i use the banana boat stuff and its great

Loco4Tennis
04-26-2008, 05:44 AM
i'll use whats arround as well, just as long as i can remember to put it on
i carry it on a empty ball container in my bag, if it spil or melt, wont mess up my stuff too much
but i also carry a visor for does really sunny days where sunscreen just simple wont cut it

Mark Vessels
04-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Just because more people will be able to see a thread does not mean the right people will see it. Let's say there was a home repair forum. The electrical section was larger than the plumbing section. Now, if I have a question about replacing a wax gasket ring which section am I going to to post that in? You might post it in the electrical section because more will see it. But I would post it in the plumbing section of the forum because I want the people with a better chance of giving me better knowledge to see it.

-SF

Good observation, Mr. Moderator

nickarnold2000
04-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Get anything that says "sport 30-50" because it won't run into your eyes or affect your grip. Also apply in a cool temp setting 30 min(for absorbsion) or more beforehand. Applying it at the courts won't cut it because you may have already started sweating.
PS Walmart's "No Ad" brand is probably the best deal.

Dave M
04-26-2008, 10:27 AM
"NO AD" is good stuff but remember to look for the highest "star" rating on the back as well as the spf number.
NO AD is avaliable from lots of shops not just wal mart if there isn't one near you.

princess bossass
04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
For the ladies, if you put make-up or moisturizer or any other chemical on your skin OVER your sunscreen, you should consider switching to a physical rather than a chemical sunscreen. With chemical sunscreens, when you add another chemical to the mix, you can entirely decimate the SPF.

Fee
04-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh lord, there is so much bad information in this thread, I don't know where to start...

First, DO NOT USE Coppertone Sport Sunscreen. It is one of the worst products on the market.

Here is the short answer to your question, good sunscreens easily available:

Neutrogena Sunscreens EXCEPT the Ultra touch SPF 70 and their lip balms.

Ocean Potion sunscreens, but smell them first. Some have a very strong scent of oranges that annoys people.

I need to find something, I'll be back in a minute...

autumn_leaf
04-26-2008, 10:47 AM
use google, that's what i did. top rated are neutrogena, blue lizard and other stuff. i just use coppertone since it's the only freakin thing my store has..but it works. it's sunblock, not neuro-science.

autumn_leaf
04-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh lord, there is so much bad information in this thread, I don't know where to start...

First, DO NOT USE Coppertone Sport Sunscreen. It is one of the worst products on the market.

i have read that sport isn't very good and other types of coppertone has a bad smell to them from what i experienced. the reg. one in the white bottle i got doesn't have that strong of a scent. it's spf 50 and works fine for me.

Fee
04-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Coppertone Sport does not protect you from UVA rays (which cause cancer and wrinkles). It only protects you from UVB rays which turn your skin pink.

I'm posting these links to some of my previous posts on this topic, not because I'm arrogant or anything, but just because it's easier than typing it all over again. :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1985920&postcount=18

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1986326&postcount=28

Good products from Aveeno:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1990647&postcount=43

biggest loser
04-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Thank you for all the info Fee.

My problem with sun block cream's been that it hurts my eyes. Any recommendations on using baby "tear-free" sun blocks?

Thanks.

Fee
04-26-2008, 11:12 AM
There are two ways to help with the eye issue, I think we all suffer from it...

Make sure you put sunscreen on BEFORE you get dressed. It needs time to dry and set onto your skin so that it can form a complete barrier. This is also very helpful around the eyes as it helps prevent it from running and stinging.

Second, try a stick sunscreen. They are in a wax base and are more resistant to sweat. I actually do both, put my sunscreen on, then put a stick product on my eyes and ears. Then I get dressed. One of the links above has a list of stick products to try.

You can try any formula that you like, but the most important thing is that it contains the correct ingredients. Look at the back of the bottle, under active ingredients for either AVOBENZONE (Parsol 1789) or Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide. There's another ingredient called Mexoryl but it's only in a few products. These are the only ingredients that protect you from UVA and UVB rays. Tennis players need complete protection. :)

Oh, stay away from the Neutrogena sprays, they have alcohol in them and that is a skin irritant.

Make sure to wash your sunscreen off as soon as possible, the ingredients can clog your pores (since they are meant to be barrier products).

Z-Man
04-26-2008, 01:22 PM
The best stuff out there is expensive, but it works and it won't bother your eyes or your game. It's micronized zinc oxide. You can buy it at a health and beauty counter. It's just a powder, so it doesn't run into your eyes or make your hands slippery. I think it's called color science or something like that. It's also great for babies.

Fee
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Never heard of it, do you have a link?

Neutrogena Ultra Dry touch sunblock is a fine product, not too expensive, and easily available (just avoid the sprays, and the SPF 70 which is a different formula with a potent skin irritant in it).

Z-Man
04-26-2008, 04:30 PM
It's $50-$60 for a tube with a brush attached, but it will last you a long time, and you don't really need to reapply it through the day. It goes on like makeup, so it's best for women and men who are secure in their sexuality. You just dust it on, and it won't come off. Because it's so expensive, I use it on my face and hands. (Especially around nose and eyes, on backs of hands.) I spray the other exposed areas with Aveeno--high SPF.

http://www.colorescience.com/1280x1024/flash/index.html

http://www.dermstore.com/profile_colorescience_500030.htm

http://skin-one.com/co-sunforget-sparkles-brush-perfectly.html

hyrulemaster
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Fee can you give me a link for where it says Coppertone Sport Spray doesnt protect from skin cancer and wrinkles?

I have a large stock of the CVS equivalent and don't want to give them up just yet :(

Fee
04-26-2008, 05:43 PM
The link that I will give you does not discuss Coppertone Sport specifically, it discusses the ingredients used in sunscreens. If Coppertone has recently changed their Sport formula to include those ingredients, I take back everything I said, but the last time I checked within the last few months it was still the same.

Here is the article (have your product handy to check the active ingredients on the label):

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/sun.asp?ID=163

Z-man, thanks for the links. Unfortunately, I have oily, breakout-prone skin so I can't use a product like that one (and I would never spend that kind of money anyway). It does look intriguing though, and much less messier than lotion sunscreens for sure. :)