PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tape Underneath Grommets

Nitro
04-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't really have more space on my racquets for more tape without doing 3 layers which A) looks bad and B) will probably fall off. Could someone just walk me through the application of lead tape beneath the grommets?

Abriano
04-25-2008, 04:32 PM
If you want to add a substantial amount of lead, you may need to adjust the bumper guard with a heat gun
Grommets can be quite brittle, so be careful not to break them during removal (old grommets are almost impossible not to break)

Nitro
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Define "adjust." obviously you have to take the bumper guard off to put lead tape underneath, even I could figure that out. Are you suggesting that I use the heat gun after putting the tape in to help the bumper guard conform?

kinsella
04-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I believe he means use the heat gun to soften the grommet set BEFORE getting it out, so it does not tear apart. The best thing is to buy a new bumper and discard the old one after taking it off.

Nitro
04-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Thats what I figured he was talking about, but not what I was asking.

davey
04-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't really have more space on my racquets for more tape without doing 3 layers which A) looks bad and B) will probably fall off. Could someone just walk me through the application of lead tape beneath the grommets?

I have 3-4 layers of tape at 3 and 9 on the inner frame. It doesn't look too bad, most people don't notice it and it has been there for quite a while, it's not falling off.

Nitro
04-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Anyone else? A step by step would be really helpful.

JesseT
04-27-2008, 06:39 AM
I have 3-4 layers of tape at 3 and 9 on the inner frame. It doesn't look too bad, most people don't notice it and it has been there for quite a while, it's not falling off.

let me second this notion. No one knows I have tape until I show them, and my 3 layers haven't peeled (even at the corners) in over 4 months of heavy play.

obnoxious2
04-27-2008, 07:37 AM
It's going to be really hard to get your grommets back on after you take it off. The little things inside the racquet fram that holds the strings will be all expanded, some broken off. It's better to order a new grommet. As for the lead tape part, I haven't done it yet.

Abriano
04-27-2008, 08:46 AM
This is not much, but even if you canīt read German, the pictures might still be helpful:
http://www.******shops.de/content/Tennisschlaeger-Tuning.html

put in t e n n i s for the stars

(yes, you use the heat gun to help the bumper guard conform)

[K]Topspin
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I never even though of doing that. Thanks for the idea.

Since I have a K90 ... It will soft of stick out. Thanks so much for giving me the idea.