PDA

View Full Version : the way djokovic breathes

fastdunn
04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
there's something strange about the way djokovic breathes.
he often forcefully breathe deep via nose. at least he often look that way.
i think i do that only when i try to calm me down intentionally of something of that nature.
does he have some kind of problem in breathing ?

MajinX
04-26-2008, 02:13 PM
he Had some kinda breathing problem when he was a younger and its supposed to be all good and done now, if anything is left its psychological.

zagor
04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
He always had trouble breathing(I think he had some kind of nose deviation but I'm not sure) so he underwent a surgary in Milan a few years ago to correct this.Whether he still has trouble breathing I don't know.

swedechris
04-26-2008, 02:26 PM
i think he just breathes heavily butr shows it to everyone as to say 'give me a minute' kind of.. 'semi-stalling'
it is only after tough points.. and i am not sure but he seems to be fit enough not to have to do this .. maybe he isnt ?

gray
04-26-2008, 02:39 PM
i think he just breathes heavily butr shows it to everyone as to say 'give me a minute' kind of.. 'semi-stalling'
it is only after tough points.. and i am not sure but he seems to be fit enough not to have to do this .. maybe he isnt ?

He's had surgery in the past specifically to correct his breathing troubles. And I doubt any condition of that nature simply disappears entirely after surgery.

But I'm sure psychology has a lot to do with it. I mean, doesn't everyone breathe heavier when they're stressed? I doubt it's an intentional 'semi-stalling' tactic, though.

MariaS
04-26-2008, 08:50 PM
...maybe he has a sinus condition....:confused:

rommil
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
^ or embarrassing unruly parents when they are watching him play.

scotus
04-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Well, better not go to the Olympics in Beijing then.

Thiseas
04-27-2008, 04:15 AM
There is a breathing technique who is based on trying to inhale through the nose all the time.
The logic behind this, is that as the air it is forced to pass through a narrow tube, it travels at greater speed thus filling more efficiently the upper part of the lungs who are not used otherwise
Jana Novotna introduced this technique in tennis, and without being sure I see the Wiliams sisters do the same.

bcast66
04-27-2008, 07:09 AM
breathing heavy is really good for you when you workout. i do it when i run, when i lift, when i play tennis it allows for your muscles to take in more oxygen.

xargon
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
He has a problem with his breathing and was operated on for it but they said something about the clay dust bothering his breathing when it is kicked around. If you breathe in the clay and have lung problems you cannot win on that surface. I don't see him winning anything big on that surface esp if it is coupled with that recurrent problem he has whether on clay or not.

BkK_b0y14
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM
He breathes through his arse.

Aeropro master
04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
He's had surgery in the past specifically to correct his breathing troubles. And I doubt any condition of that nature simply disappears entirely after surgery.

But I'm sure psychology has a lot to do with it. I mean, doesn't everyone breathe heavier when they're stressed? I doubt it's an intentional 'semi-stalling' tactic, though.

Where I play, the pros tell us to specifically breathe through our nose heavily after long points or during a close match. maybe he dose it to keep him relaxed?

EasternRocks
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Novak has asthma. In 2007, he was forced to retire in the Umga ATP Final. Ever since, he had trouble breathing and has asthma ever since he was a young kid.

Salsa_Lover
04-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Dictionary: choke (chōk)

v., choked, chok·ing, chokes.

v.intr.

To have difficulty in breathing, swallowing, or speaking.

gray
04-27-2008, 04:22 PM
He has a problem with his breathing and was operated on for it but they said something about the clay dust bothering his breathing when it is kicked around. If you breathe in the clay and have lung problems you cannot win on that surface. I don't see him winning anything big on that surface esp if it is coupled with that recurrent problem he has whether on clay or not.

I didn't think about that. Good observation about the clay surface.

hlkimfung
04-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Alex O'Brien also used to have a nose strap in the 90's

Sentinel
04-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Well, opening up the nose will only help while nose-breathing. Perhaps his problem happens even when mouth-breathing.

There could be an allergy that causes a side-stitch due to which he draws in deep breaths.

If he has asthma, would he not be carrying an inhaler and occasionally using that ?

califsurferboy33
04-28-2008, 01:01 AM
he retired from the federer match due to breathing problems right? you know it might actually be fitness, he looked perfectly fine in the first set, and then the games got longer and that one stretch between the changeover at 1-2 to 3-2 was quite a long time. i mean in that game at 2 all djocovic seemed fine but he was really really pressing which was weird, i mean i looked at his mouth and nose since i watched the match again since the tennis channel was showing it again, just to see that point in the match and he looked fine breathing wise. he was just pressing and not using his head.

coloskier
04-28-2008, 07:24 AM
I'll believe he has breathing problems when he falls over on the court and has to be taken away using a ventilator. There are a lot of players who have asthma, and they don't quit. MAN UP!!!!

allez_mike
04-28-2008, 09:42 AM
maybe there's...no air no air..

xargon
04-28-2008, 10:31 AM
The announcers said before the match started that Djokovic's breathing issues were being aggravated by the dust. Could the dust in combination with the long rallies have played a major effect on his lungs? (Remember, he did not have to work as hard in his previous matches, so his body produced a greater oxygen demand today.)
Furthermore, as an asthmatic, taking breaks when your bronchi are inflamed due to an irritant (dust) does not increase the ability breathe. Medication would have to open the airways and another med. would have to reduce the inflammation. Luke Jensen at the AO said that he thinks Novak may have athletic (or exercise) induced asthma; signs are there: asthma is aggravated by colds/viruses, stress, physical exertion, and pollens/etc in the air