PDA

View Full Version : ProKennex Copper Ace

OnyxZ28
01-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Saw a couple of these on **** and they look like Prestige knockoffs, except with a 16x18 pattern. Do they play like Prestiges?

Deuce
01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Unfortunately, there are at least 2 very different versions of the PK Copper Ace. The more recent, I believe, is more or less 90 sq. in., and may be referred to as the 'Copper Ace 90'. I think it is greenish in color. I have never played with it, and so can offer no opinion.

The original PK Copper Ace, however, I can tell you was a great racquet in my view. I loved that thing. Circa early 80s. Dark brown or black in color (depending on the angle of light), with copper color piping. I preferred it to the Black and Silver Aces at the time, due to its increased amount of fiberglass and flex. I believe it was 50/50 fiberglass/graphite. Great, great frame. Headsize is somewhere between 80 and 85 sq. in., I think. Brings back great memories.

As for whether it is 'like' the Prestige or not, that is a matter of very personal interpretation. I will tell you, though, that I loved the original Copper Ace, and quite liked the red Prestige Classic, as well. If you like flex and feel, it's likely that you'll like the original Copper Ace.

K. Wilson Moose
01-11-2005, 04:36 AM
The original PK Copper Ace, however, I can tell you was a great racquet in my view. I loved that thing. Circa early 80s. Dark brown or black in color (depending on the angle of light), with copper color piping. I preferred it to the Black and Silver Aces at the time, due to its increased amount of fiberglass and flex. I believe it was 50/50 fiberglass/graphite. Great, great frame. Headsize is somewhere between 80 and 85 sq. in., I think. Brings back great memories.

I still have a Bronze Ace, another fine frame by PK. Just restrung it recently and still like to hit with it from time to time. Black with bronze piping and Bronze Ace in red letters on one side. I believe it is 60/40 graphite/fiberglass. I'm looking at it now, and it appears to be around 85 si. Really nice frame.

SteveI
01-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Deuce and Moose,

Ditto.. I played the Copper Ace in the early 80s... Flex must be like... 55 or so. Sweet frame. I broke a couple at the near the top of the handle.. of course I only had two frames.. back then an used them about 6 years/20 hours a week.. and .. well now I have like... hummm how many frames??

If you can get one is nice shape.. go for it!

Steve

Steve Huff
01-11-2005, 08:57 AM
ProKennex made a lot of "Copper" rackets. There were 2 Copper Aces in addition to the Copper Ace 90. One had grommet strips while the other had individual grommets. They also made a Copper Ace 110, a Copper LTD, a Copper Plus 90, and a Copper Plus 110.

bob
01-11-2005, 09:34 AM
I had a bronze ace but preferred the Bronze Dominator. It was elongated like a snow shovel and silver in color. Anyone got one for sale?

I still have a Bronze Ace, another fine frame by PK. Just restrung it recently and still like to hit with it from time to time. Black with bronze piping and Bronze Ace in red letters on one side. I believe it is 60/40 graphite/fiberglass. I'm looking at it now, and it appears to be around 85 si. Really nice frame.

Tennissee
12-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I was quite interested to hear others asking and answer the same thing I'm looking at, with a few years of lag time.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find Copper Ace playing so very well that I bought four within the span of two weeks. Comparing with my two original red Prestiges and three i.Prestiges, they play very similarly. Both versions of Prestiges are solid and muted, just like the Copper Aces. I find great confidence in both and know that the ball will not sail on me when I take a full swing. In spite of the small heads, 93 and 86 (feels bigger though), the sweet spots feel big and true on both.

The differences are 1) Copper Ace seems to be better with spin; not sure if it's due to the less dense string pattern, 2) Prestige feels slightly more powerful for service, and 3) I tend to suffer elbow pain after a singles session with Prestige, this is not the case with Copper Ace. Of course, Copper Ace is much cheaper than the Prestige, but that's not a part of the performance comparison.

I also have a Copper Plus 90, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

mlewis721
12-21-2009, 08:18 PM
The Copper Ace was my first graphite racquet. I still have a set of grommets for it.

Tennissee
12-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Really!? That's quite interesting. The design of Copper Ace probably will keep the grommet working for a very long time. The grommets on the four I acquired from different sources recently all look very good that I haven't thought about the issue of replacing them some day. But that's good to know. Thanks.

Speaking about the four I got, here's something very odd. I usually don't replace the strings immediately after getting a racquet (I'm cheap) until I had a chance to assess the existing strings through playing a little bit. Strangely enough, the four racquets, which have four different strings at different tensions, ALL PLAYED VERY WELL for me. In fact they played so well, I didn't even want/dare to monkey with them by restringing. Any insights on this?

anirut
12-22-2009, 08:03 AM
^
^
That's probably called the "I-like-dead-string syndrome".

Some strings, when they go kinda dead, play real nice.

Tennissee
12-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Wow! Really?!? You might be right. I recalled not liking some racquets, newly strung with some spanking strings. But after being left in the car for months, they played great. I wonder if other people suffer/enjoy the same syndrome.

Thanks. That's a nice way to look at it. True or not.

MichaelChang
12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
The Copper Ace is bigger than 85. More like 90 I think. I put it next to a PS85 and the racket face looks "longer" on the Copper ace.

It is a nice racket. Flexier than the Prestige 600. To go for more power you will prefer the Prestige 600. To go for soft/arm friendly, you would stick with the Copper Ace.

There is also a "Copper Ace II". Which had the same paint job as the original Copper Ace.

anirut
12-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I just make my strings go almost dead right during stringing: 67 lbs, pulled twice. Great deadened feel. The strings won't be dead right away, but it plays like dead new strings. If you know what I mean.

May be I should try manual pre-stretching the strings "real hard" prior to stringing next time and stringing lower. 67 lbs hits nice but can really make the arm sore for a few days.

Tennissee
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
The Copper Ace is bigger than 85. More like 90 I think. I put it next to a PS85 and the racket face looks "longer" on the Copper ace.

It is a nice racket. Flexier than the Prestige 600. To go for more power you will prefer the Prestige 600. To go for soft/arm friendly, you would stick with the Copper Ace.

There is also a "Copper Ace II". Which had the same paint job as the original Copper Ace.

I didn't realize there's a Copper Ace II until a few days ago when it appeared on the Bay. But I didn't go for it. Maybe next time.

Yes, I'm sticking with Copper Ace for now. Might restring one of them to see how it plays.

Tennissee
12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
I just make my strings go almost dead right during stringing: 67 lbs, pulled twice. Great deadened feel. The strings won't be dead right away, but it plays like dead new strings. If you know what I mean.

May be I should try manual pre-stretching the strings "real hard" prior to stringing next time and stringing lower. 67 lbs hits nice but can really make the arm sore for a few days.

My goodness, 67 lbs is 19 lbs higher than what I usually use for my 5G. I don't know what strings or tensions to use for my Copper Aces yet. But I was thinking of going the other way -- something like 44 lbs synthetic gut. Granted, I usually use a very dead string, Ashaway Kevlar 18, for my 5G, but I thought smaller racquet head warrants lower tension.

Has anyone used Kevlar in an Copper Ace?

anirut
12-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Well... I use the simple lowly synthetic for my Redondo mid.

IMO, may be you could start the Copper Ace with a 16g synthetic like 50 lbs, and see how things go from there. The reason I suggest 16g is because I feel these older rackets feel better with larger strings.

(Don't forget to pull it twice, or thrice, to make it feel a bit dead. :) )

Tennissee
12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Well... I use the simple lowly synthetic for my Redondo mid.

IMO, may be you could start the Copper Ace with a 16g synthetic like 50 lbs, and see how things go from there. The reason I suggest 16g is because I feel these older rackets feel better with larger strings.

(Don't forget to pull it twice, or thrice, to make it feel a bit dead. :) )

I'll give 16g and 50 lbs a try. Now what do you mean by pulling? This is in addition to the drop weight, right?

anirut
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll give 16g and 50 lbs a try. Now what do you mean by pulling? This is in addition to the drop weight, right?

Pulling?

OK, I mean tensioning a string. Like when you're stringing, and tensioning "a" string (main or cross), I tension it twice. i.e. tension (pull) to the desired tension, release the tension, and then tension it again, then lock. Repeat the same for every string.

I only do this for the mains as I'm afraid if the crosses are also done this way the string bed might go too dead.

BTW, I don't string myself. I tell the stringer at the store to do it on the constant pull, while I keep watch that he does it right.

Tennissee
12-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Ah, I have never done that. Going to give it a try next time. Thanks.

lgbalfa
06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
what was the weight of the original copper ace?

lgbalfa
06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
found it - 11.8 ounces.