PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic Press Conference - After Federer Match (Spoiler Alert)

NicolasH
04-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Q. You seem to have these guys in the top four falling in front of you, not finishing their matches.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I don’t know what to say, you know. It’s strange. This happens three times in four tournaments really that somebody pulled out. So it’s unusual.
You know, I mean, if you look back, I haven’t had that many walkovers throughout my career. But it’s obviously more strange against top players, like Nikolay and Novak.
There’s not much I can do about it. From my end, I played well today. It was a solid performance. I’m looking forward to the finals, obviously.

Q. Was it obvious to you he was ill?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I didn’t see anything anyway from my side till when he called the doctor. It made me remember that, you know, he really sort of had at 40 Love at 5 3, I think it was, he just let his head hang a little bit. I thought that was more in disappointment, you know. So maybe it was more also because of the sickness. I don’t know.
But I didn’t feel like he was playing, you know, too sick. Obviously after calling the doctor, you know, you have a tendency to have him under the microscope, you know, and then you might see some signs. But then, you know, I’m in a moment where I try to block that out and continue the way I did play.
I didn’t think it was that extreme. Same as Davydenko last week. I mean, I didn’t see any big signs till the moment they all of a sudden retired.

Cheers,
n.

Vision84
04-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Good comment from Federer. He was careful not to make assumptions and jump to conclusions and put down his opponent's etc.

NicolasH
04-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Novak Djokovic

MONTE CARLO, MONACO

R. FEDERER/N. Djokovic
6-3, 3-2 (ret.)

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What's the problem, Novak?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I didn't feel good for last three days. I've been waking up with some sore throat. But I thought it's not going to be nothing special.
But obviously when you're playing against the No. 1 player of the world, you obviously get a lot of balls back and longer points, and I just couldn't get enough energy back after each point. I needed a lot of time. And I just decided not to risk anything.

Q. Can you just talk about your symptoms. Do you feel sick? Is it just a sore throat?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it's a sore throat. I feel dizziness a little bit in the last three days. I don't know. Doctor in the tournament couldn't give me the right diagnosis. I'll check as soon as possible.

Q. Considering that, did you do well to actually get to the semifinal itself then? Did you do above what you could have possibly done to get to today?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I think I could go even more. But, unfortunately, physically today I wasn't ready enough. I'm really disappointed that I had to finish this way. Feel sorry for the crowd and for everybody. In the first place, for me.
But, you know, I always put health in the first place. Semifinal is a great result. No doubt about that. I'm not extremely disappointed. You know, it's a good result to come in the best four of a strong tournament.

Q. Any fever at all?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Not for now, hopefully. I don't know.

Q. You were already sick in the first set of the previous match.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, it's always like this. Last three days, as I said. But the previous opponents were not, you know, not that tough and I didn't have long rallies against the previous opponents like I had today.
Obviously I needed that step further and to do something more and special to win the points today. Of course, it's normal, you're playing against the best player in the world. And, unfortunately, I couldn't do that.
But, you know, I have to look on the bright side.

Q. And you have to look at the season, as well, because the clay court season is a very tough season, very demanding. If you're going to be in peak condition for Paris, you have to take care of yourself.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Sure, sure. That's a task I need to think about very seriously in the future, especially in the next couple of days. I'm gonna have a week before Rome. So hopefully I can be ready.

Q. How did Roger look to you, facing him for the first time since Melbourne?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: He looks good. He was more aggressive than in Melbourne. I think he stepped up more. He was more patient. And I think I made some crucial mistakes in that first set. I had some chances on 3-All I think or 2-All, some breakpoints. Unfortunately in the end, physically I didn't hold on. You know, in them moments, when you just need to stay patient and just play another ball back, I wanted to finish up with the return. So resulted with a mistake.

Q. So when today did you start to feel it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, from the start I didn't feel so great. But, obviously, on the start of the match you feel, you know, fresh still somehow. But then after a while, after five, six games, after long points, started to feel more and more worse. I was thinking about, you know, stopping even after the first set. But, you know, I just wanted to try and see how it goes.
But it's not worth it, you know. I'm just 20 years old. Still a lot of time, a lot of tournaments to come.

Q. After three days, nobody knows what it is exactly?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No. Just I thought it's nothing serious. You know, on the matches, I played well and I felt okay afterwards. I asked doctor yesterday. But he said I don't have nothing, which I really don't believe. I think he didn't give me the right diagnosis, obviously. I'll check as soon as possible.

Zaragoza
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds like mono...

serve/and/volley
04-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Djokovic should do a better job of impersonating a Federer with mono. At least Federer finishes his matches.

Nadal_Monfils
04-26-2008, 06:43 PM
How come he's giving such long responses if he has a sore throat? A little sore throat and dizziness is not a valid reason to retire a match, what a wimp.

my_forehand
04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
You know, you know, you know?

Defcon
04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Warning, extremely high levels of BS detected !!

Fedace
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
What i want to know is, how is continuing to play and finishing the match going to hurt his career for the rest of his life ??

Hot Sauce
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM

Classic Federer!

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Warning, extremely high levels of BS detected !!

LMAO, Yep, agree...

Like Djoker's game...but...yeah not this ^^

Hot Sauce
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Djokovic should do a better job of impersonating a Federer with mono. At least Federer finishes his matches.

Haha, me like.

It seems like Djoko drops a lot of "you know"s as well as Fed.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-26-2008, 08:26 PM
How come he's giving such long responses if he has a sore throat?

I thought that was funny. Sure ...long responses and having a sore throat. I honestly don't know if fine is imposed anymore if doesn't give an interview after a match (or if it ever was, it popped into my head when I read this that it might have been so once...I'm sure I get corrected if wrong) but if he was so ill, so feeling badly, one would have thought he would forego an interview afterwards and retired to bed just as he retired from the match.

I am not an ATP player, never was this level, although I had coach at a teenage years who thought I could have gone far if had the backing who was a good and known coach for college, and I realize its much easier sideline to say "I would have done more. I would have tried the 100% even if I felt a bit wheezy", but I would have: done more. I would have tried the 100% even if I felt a bit wheezy.

Lot of ragging on another thread about what Fed should or should not have said, but this is just crap from Djokovic. A few years from now he might put it in perspective about his actions here if he chooses to think about it, just as once Lendl thought about his early days.

That being said, Novak may go on to truly great feats as Ivan did, yet in the whole, there will always be a greater many of those who boo him, than appreciate what he brought to the sport.

knasty131
04-26-2008, 11:10 PM
you know...english isnt his first language, and even though he may speak it well at times some mistakes should be overlooked...you know???

stormholloway
04-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Buncha sissies. You don't retire if you aren't hurt, period. You better be bleeding somewhere if you're going to retire.

stormholloway
04-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Federer looked visibly ill in Melbourne and still finished. Djokovic wimped out.

PCXL-Fan
04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Buncha sissies. You don't retire if you aren't hurt, period. You better be bleeding somewhere if you're going to retire.

No!

Unforgivable!

These athletes are gladiators. A little racket to the forhead or knife to the shoulder by a crazy german shouldn't be any deterrent to play the games. Only death should stop a player from playing the game. Even then their family members must take up the racket then and finish the game in their place.
These dispensable athletes play for my enjoyment alone.

So Decrees Emperor Publius Calidius Xaso Lucius Fan III.

scotus
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM

Somebody send Djokovic to the school of Youzhny, where one learns to finish the match even though he is bleeding, and still win the match!

el sergento
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
No!

Unforgivable!

These athletes are gladiators. A little racket to the forhead or knife to the shoulder by a crazy german shouldn't be any deterrent to play the games. Only death should stop a player from playing the game. Even then their family members must take up the racket then and finish the game in their place.

Nah, I agree, bunch of nancies the lot of them. They should go watch some playoff hockey. Nothing like seeing a player pick up his teeth off the ice, hand them to the ref and continue playing to remind you just how spoiled and cowardly some of these tennis stars really are.

Excuses, excuses, excuses........man up and finish the match, there is no shame to loosing to Federer.

And they should play solely for the publics enjoyment. Without the spectators how are they going to make any money slapping a little yellow ball back and forth??

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-27-2008, 12:35 AM
what a LOSER! hate novak

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-27-2008, 12:36 AM
how hard is it to finish a match, just lose like a man

ppw350Zunit
04-27-2008, 12:45 AM
he simply has no heart. he couldn't break fed the first set and he just wanted an easy way out of the match by quitting. i can't stand that guy!!! :evil:

Sentinel
04-27-2008, 01:14 AM
I just saw the match.
1. Djoko played very well in the first set. I would not say he could not break Fed. He had BP's in 2 games, to Fed's one. In one Fed lucked out on the net. I would say first set was v close.

2. Second set, Djoko broke back a love game.

Altho, I am a Fed fan, I don't think Novak wimped out. He obviously had some problem. I doubt he was trying to deny Fed a victory by quitting. Perhaps, the sore throat virus, was taking a lot out of him. I've had sore throats and they do take a lot out of me. I can start a set or practice well, but then I get sapped.

Otoh, i found Kolya's withdrawal at Estoril to be stranger!

lukarf
04-27-2008, 01:31 AM
He played too well the first set to have any problems. He just wimped out when he saw that things were not going better. Shame on him...

helloworld
04-27-2008, 01:36 AM
I played well today, no? I feel very good, no? I hope to play well next match, no?

joeri888
04-27-2008, 01:50 AM
I played well today, no? I feel very good, no? I hope to play well next match, no?

The 'You know' and 'no' both are classic. I wonder whether Rafa was trying to immitate Roger's Y'Know, when he started using 'no' in every sentence

joeri888
04-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Hmm, I think Djoko did actually feel something, I believe that. I also think he wouldn't have made it any worse if he'd played on. So, he could have maybe let Federer play his game of serve and then just make it a quick 6-2, I don't know. It just looked dumb this way.
I don't realy care however, it was nothign that serious so Roger can be just as proud about his victory. Djoko is a nice guy, it's just that he's not really good at sportsmanship, and his parents are awful.

Jonnyf
04-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Q. Can you just talk about your symptoms. Do you feel sick? Is it just a sore throat?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it's a sore throat. I feel dizziness a little bit in the last three days. I don't know. Doctor in the tournament couldn't give me the right diagnosis. I'll check as soon as possible.

Q. Considering that, did you do well to actually get to the semifinal itself then? Did you do above what you could have possibly done to get to today?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I think I could go even more. But, unfortunately, physically today I wasn't ready enough. I'm really disappointed that I had to finish this way. Feel sorry for the crowd and for everybody. In the first place, for me.
But, you know, I always put health in the first place. Semifinal is a great result. No doubt about that. I'm not extremely disappointed. You know, it's a good result to come in the best four of a strong tournament.

Q. You were already sick in the first set of the previous match.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, it's always like this. Last three days, as I said. But the previous opponents were not, you know, not that tough and I didn't have long rallies against the previous opponents like I had today.
Obviously I needed that step further and to do something more and special to win the points today. Of course, it's normal, you're playing against the best player in the world. And, unfortunately, I couldn't do that.
But, you know, I have to look on the bright side.

Q. So when today did you start to feel it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, from the start I didn't feel so great. But, obviously, on the start of the match you feel, you know, fresh still somehow. But then after a while, after five, six games, after long points, started to feel more and more worse. I was thinking about, you know, stopping even after the first set. But, you know, I just wanted to try and see how it goes.
But it's not worth it, you know. I'm just 20 years old. Still a lot of time, a lot of tournaments to come.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No. Just I thought it's nothing serious. You know, on the matches, I played well and I felt okay afterwards. I asked doctor yesterday. But he said I don't have nothing, which I really don't believe. I think he didn't give me the right diagnosis, obviously. I'll check as soon as possible.

So essentially he says: Doctors didn't give me a diagnosis, I could have won and maybe won the tournament but I wasn't physically fine. I think theirs some massive BS There. Someone said Djokovic needs to "Man Up" and I think thats a great way of describing it. Djokovic needs to grow some balls and realise that you can't just pull out of matches when it looks like you will lose. Why not even finish the match, Seriously it was probably going to be 3-4 games at most.

Salsa_Lover
04-27-2008, 02:20 AM
The "you know" thing is like a conversational filler we use a lot on german ( and also a lot in french ) in Switzerland ( Weiss, or tu-sais ) . He just fills up his conversational lines with it translated to english. The same goes for the "No" tha Nadal uses a lot that is also a conversational filler in Spanish ( like to say "isn' it ?" in english)

Sentinel
04-27-2008, 02:25 AM
No!

Unforgivable!

haha, wonderful comment, after all the one-sided trolls I've been reading for hours.

Tim W
04-27-2008, 02:25 AM
The 'You know' and 'no' both are classic. I wonder whether Rafa was trying to immitate Roger's Y'Know, when he started using 'no' in every sentence

Maybe it's because they aren't fluent in English. Wow, I never thought of that!

Laker
04-27-2008, 03:09 AM

Actually I am quite sure that a professional player, perfectly trained and twenty years old should plays a couple of games and still survive...

Fedexeon
04-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Actually when u see the real interview video.. it just seems normal when Federer says the "you know". Just that when u look at the transcript it seems abit weird.

aimr75
04-27-2008, 04:14 AM
i have heard many people use the filler "you know", and english is their native language.. i think its something that people dont even realise they use
________
Buy silver surfer (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

pound cat
04-27-2008, 04:46 AM

Federer and Sharapova would have a great conversation...

You know, you know, you know

You know, you know, you know

pound cat
04-27-2008, 04:51 AM
i have heard many people use the filler "you know", and english is their native language.. i think its something that people dont even realise they use

It's like say, uh..., mmm....gathering thoughts before you move on in what you're saying. Safin sometimes takes a quick breath between his teeth.

Most of us do this...listen to yourself or your friends speak.

futuretoptenner
04-27-2008, 05:00 AM
You don't really realise that he's saying "you know " all that much when watching/listening to his interviews. It's only when they are transcribed like this that you realise!

superman1
04-27-2008, 05:07 AM
He's pathetic. The doctor couldn't diagnose it because there was nothing to diagnose.

Sentinel
04-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Hmm, I think Djoko did actually feel something, I believe that. I also think he wouldn't have made it any worse if he'd played on. So, he could have maybe let Federer play his game of serve and then just make it a quick 6-2, I don't know. It just looked dumb this way.
I don't realy care however, it was nothing that serious so Roger can be just as proud about his victory. Djoko is a nice guy, it's just that he's not really good at sportsmanship, and his parents are awful.
I'm glad you are able to separate Joker from his parents while evaluating him. In fact, altho I don't like him too much, I rather like his game. He is strong on both wings, hits a clean big forehand, attacks more often now.

Frankly, I still haven;t understood why you all can't stand his family. Okay a bit overenthu, and a couple indiscretions but I wonder whether Americans just don't get the "family" thing. I rather like to see the whole family stand together, even if Nole's a big boy now.

Anyway, I hope Nole develops his game, and the right attitude. I think he will.

dr325i
04-27-2008, 06:16 AM
I just saw the match.
1. Djoko played very well in the first set. I would not say he could not break Fed. He had BP's in 2 games, to Fed's one. In one Fed lucked out on the net. I would say first set was v close.

2. Second set, Djoko broke back a love game.

Altho, I am a Fed fan, I don't think Novak wimped out. He obviously had some problem. I doubt he was trying to deny Fed a victory by quitting. Perhaps, the sore throat virus, was taking a lot out of him. I've had sore throats and they do take a lot out of me. I can start a set or practice well, but then I get sapped.

Otoh, i found Kolya's withdrawal at Estoril to be stranger!

Finally someone who can think straight...
Yep, he could/should have stayed there and finished 2:6 the second set, but what's the point...

Leublu tennis
04-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Yeh, whats the point. You feel louse, you feel lousy. I watched the match for a while and he did not look good. So he calls it a day rather than taking perfunctory swings at some balls. Big deal. As he says, he is 20 years old so there are many more matches for him.

dh003i
04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
What does having a soar throat have to do with hitting a ball over the net? And it isn't even like it was cold, so the cold air was exacerbating his throat. Come on. As someone else said, Fed looked visibly ill at the AO SF, sweating like crazy (which is unlike him) and sluggish, yet he finished the match.

BkK_b0y14
04-27-2008, 11:38 AM

I like how he's trying to show that the doctor is wrong because the doctor totally called his bluff...effing pansy.

airdupont
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
He's a wanker

julianoz
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeh, whats the point. You feel louse, you feel lousy. I watched the match for a while and he did not look good. So he calls it a day rather than taking perfunctory swings at some balls. Big deal. As he says, he is 20 years old so there are many more matches for him.

gotta love how some here think being a quitter and sore loser is acceptable. Some pathetic individuals on this board!

Venetian
04-27-2008, 12:28 PM
haha, wonderful comment, after all the one-sided trolls I've been reading for hours.

Nah, dumb comment. He blew up way out of proportion. These guys are talking about the sissy garbage of retiring with tummy aches every other match.

Shaolin
04-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I cant believe Djokovic retired with a sore throat. That guy is such a vagina.

xargon
04-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Fed looked visibly ill at the AO SF,

BBC:
Roger Federer banished any fears about his fitness with a dazzling 6-0 6-3 6-0 win over Diego Hartfield to begin the defence of his Australian Open title.

Round One- Fed in three sets.Hartfield bagled twice.
Round Two-Fed in three sets.Santoro bagled once
Round Three- Tipsy outplayed him but Fed barely pulled it off in five.
Round Four- Fed in three sets against Berdych
Then Novak beats him in three

So he was ill with mono on 2 days but not 3?

xargon
04-27-2008, 01:34 PM
That guy is such a vagina.

Here is a vagina.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w8QDlcFHA4o

M J
04-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Wow. What a pathetic move by Djokovic.

xanctus
04-27-2008, 02:04 PM

You know, he is nomor 1 in the world and he is richer than any of us and also he speaks more than 2-3 languages. So yeah, stop being a jerk saying u know u know u know...

Salsa_Lover
04-27-2008, 03:08 PM
well said xanctus.

The funny thing, is that often the ones critisizing the grammar, spelling and speech of polyglots are people that only can speak one language.

People that can speak more than one, know how difficult is to master a foreign language and then show respect and encouragment for other people when they are trying to learn and speak their language.

I speak 5 languages, and I am aware than none of my 4 foreign languages are perfect, but I am proud to be able to communicate and understand the cultures of others.

moonbat
04-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm a big fan of Djokovic, but even I thought this was lame. I wonder if it had anything to do with the bit of animosity between Federer and Novak's box during the first set. Djokovic seemed to lose concentration after that, and I think his parents are doing him no favors by antagonizing other players, especially someone as stoic as Federer. I suggest they attend classes at the school of STFU, or they'll end up making Richard Williams seem gracious and reasoned.

raiden031
04-27-2008, 04:13 PM
The only reason you should retire from a match is if you have a physical injury, massive cramping, you have diarhea or vomiting, a fever, or other serious symptoms. He had a freakin sore throat and felt a little sick and he retired??? That is a sore loser to me. He could easily have finished the match without it threatening his well-being. He just couldn't accept an ***-whooping from the supposedly declining federer. I bet djokovic salivates to the "fed is done" posts on TW. Now that he found fed is not done, he quits with probably the worst excuse ever heard.

NicolasH
04-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey, Salsa

are you Swiss or just live there?

Cheers,
n.

CanadianChic
04-27-2008, 04:19 PM
This match really ticked me off which is rare for me. I know he isn't feeling well but another twenty minutes and he could have left the court with his head held high. I understand when the players are injured, in severe pain, vomiting, etc., but 'not feeling well'? Are ya kiddin' me? Not only do these people spend a lot of money to see the match, they expect the players to give it their best. Just because you 'aren't feeling well' isn't a reason to bail like that. I was incredibly disappointed to see him exit the way he did - I thought he had more intensity and drive than that.

bcast66
04-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Sounds like mono...

feds sabotage plan has WORKED lol.

Mansewerz
04-27-2008, 04:50 PM
It seems like whenever Djoker is pressured, he just retires so he can say "Yea, I didn't get my *** whooped."

Kind of a like a one hit champion that is unwilling to defend his title.

Bjorn99
04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
There are some new labaratory designer diseases now that afflict only the healthiest of immune systems(the buggers aye?). So when you see guys like Federer and Djoko going down, it is because of these covert bacterium. Don't be too hard on them.

Tennisguy777
04-27-2008, 05:16 PM
He's a Mamma's Boy

my_forehand
04-28-2008, 05:17 AM
You know, he is number 1 in the world and he is richer than any of us and also he speaks more than 2-3 languages. So yeah, stop being a jerk saying u know u know u know...

Calm down. It's just a joke.

coloskier
04-28-2008, 07:16 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if you aren't dead or have something broken, you finish the match. Djokovic will be hearing about this one for the rest of his career and will never be able to live it down.

cknobman
04-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Djokovic is a joke.

Didnt whine all week when he was beating the crap out of his opponents but as soon as he faces someone whos asgood/better than him he punks out.

Guess the kings not dethroned after all, huh?

Djokovic is a disgrace to sportsmanship in mens tennis and IF he ever makes the number 1 ranking and pulls ANY of the BS he has BEEN pulling so far in his career he will be the BIGGEST disgrace to the ranking in history.

Novak, I always tried to like you but you keep letting me down. No more, now I have nothing but disgust for you!

Greenfin Beta
04-28-2008, 09:06 AM

like youzny :) except that he played on...

yakko
04-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Hey, you all knew Djoker is a puss-boy, like he said ,he's only 20 years old, maybe he needs to grow up before he can play with the big boys. Or maybe he just needs somebody to teach him a little PR. Here's FedEx's funny answer to Djoker's mom. Good for Roger...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua7_IbYn0-0&feature=related

tzinc
04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
It wasn't the throat he played with a sore throat. When he got dizzy and couldn't get move he had to stop. Smart guy!