PDA

View Full Version : New Comparative reviews now at TW

TW Staff
01-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Some great reviews that came in over the Christmas period and are now ready for your reading pleasure

Radical Tourist compares the Prince Graphite Classic OS, NXG Graphite OS and the HEAD Liquidmetal Radical OS
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/Rtour01.html

Breakpoint compares the Wilson nSix-one 95, HEAD Liquidmetal Radical MP and the Prokennex Ki 5
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/BreakP03.html

TribleB compares the Wilson nSix-One Tour 90, nSix-One 95, ProStaff Original 85 and ProStaff Original 95
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/TripB04.html

Kreative compares the ProKennex Ki 15 PSE, Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus and the Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/Kreative02.html

Bcaz compares the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine MP, ProKennex Heritage Type R and the Yonex RDX 500 MP
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/bcaz02.html

Chris, TW

AndrewD
01-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Chris, what tension was the Prince Graphite OS strung at for the playtest?

GuyPerez
01-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I am not surprised that the PK Ki PSE won out. I have been touting the virtues of this stick since I first tried it and then switched to it. I am a 4.0 player with heavy top and I much prefer it to my old 300G.

What is surprising is that you were able to use a 2 handed backhand. This stick has the shortest handle I have ever seen!

P.S. I have already returned one to TW as it developed a small fissure just above the handle. They have sent it to PK for review. I hope PK does not try to deny it is defective. The stick was 1 month old!!!!

el_mago
01-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I would like to know what was the string and tension for the Prince NXG Graphite OS.

TW Staff
01-10-2005, 04:30 PM
All playtest racquets were strung at mid+ 2lbs. Wilson Sensation 17 is our go to string for these reviews.

Chris, TW.

Yolkl
01-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading all the reports. The review from BCAZ particularly well-written and easy to understand. Thanks.

BreakPoint
01-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Nice review, TripleB!!

See, aren't you glad that, after months of persuading by me, that you finally tried the PS 6.0 95?

Top 7 of all time, huh? So what are the other 6? (We know the POG MP and RDX 500 MP are already on the list.)

BTW, why do you like the RDX 500 MP (and Mid) more than the PS 6.0 95? Just curious.

bcaz
01-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Much appreciated, Yolkl. Judging from your handle, you may be a Volkl fan. So am I, but the V-E 10 MP is a different breed. I'd like to hear your impressions, if you've tried it.

dennis1188
01-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I enjoyed your comments on the VE 10 MP, I found some similar characteristics to my estusa PBP 92sqin (flex) and the very low balance point in my old Fin genius graphite (long narrow/low hoop 93sqin). I added lead in the lower hoop (total wt. 12.8 oz now) 4 1/2 grip size w/ two overgrips. The racket is strung w/ laser supreme 17g @ 58 lbs. I find the racket very stable (good control) and can now feel the racket/strokes 'plow' through the ball. Those cheap Penn balls get beat up very fast now.

TripleB
01-11-2005, 05:13 AM
BreakPoint,

Thanks!!! It was a pleasure hitting all of the Wilson racquets (the ProStaff collection if you will) at one time and compare each and yes I am glad that I was able to finally try the 95...you were right on all counts with this racquet.

My Top 7 of All Time:

T1) Prince Original Graphite Mid
T1) Yonex RDX-500 Midplus (I actually like this racquet better than my POG mid but I haven't played with it long enough to give it the #1 honor by itself)
3) Rossignol F-200
4) Head Radical Oversize (yellow/silver/black/red model)
5) Yonex RD-7
6) Wilson T-2000
7) Wilson Original 6.0 95

IMHO: I feel that the RDX-500 Midplus takes the great qualities of the Wilson Original 6.0 95 (maneuverability, amazing control, solid volleys) but adds: even more comfort, a slight increase in "putaway" power without losing any control, better kick on my second serve, more confidence at net, and better topspin and slice on my groundstrokes.

TripleB

PS: FANTASTIC reviews everyone!!!

Yolkl
01-11-2005, 06:22 AM
Much appreciated, Yolkl. Judging from your handle, you may be a Volkl fan. So am I, but the V-E 10 MP is a different breed. I'd like to hear your impressions, if you've tried it.

You have to understand that I don't know squat about the technical aspects of racquets and I don't have much of a frame of reference but here goes anyway. I demoed the V-E 10 MP in the fall after cracking my Head Tour Xtra Long. It was the first new racquet that I've demoed.

I pretty much loved everything about the V-Engine including the control.
I was able to hit the ball nice and deep and could hit the corners at will. Great spin. Good for serves. Nice at the net. It was just a blast to hit with.
Don't know if I was just having one of the good days that comes along with the same frequency as an eclipse, or what. Maybe I had the string tension just right, I don't know. Since then I've demoed several racquets and only the Volkl VI Classic had better control.

I'm going to try it again this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

bob
01-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Radical Tourist:

Here's my 2 cents on the POGOS vs nxg os:
-The nxg os was a lot better on volleys and overheads...I could really crunch them.
-They were both around the same for serves.
-I couldn't control my forehand with the nxg (lots of long hits)
-The nxg has a dampened feel comnpared to the great pogos feel.

BTW I have a nxg os for sale if interested.

Some great reviews that came in over the Christmas period and are now ready for your reading pleasure

Radical Tourist compares the Prince Graphite Classic OS, NXG Graphite OS and the HEAD Liquidmetal Radical OS
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/Rtour01.html

Breakpoint compares the Wilson nSix-one 95, HEAD Liquidmetal Radical MP and the Prokennex Ki 5
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/BreakP03.html

TribleB compares the Wilson nSix-One Tour 90, nSix-One 95, ProStaff Original 85 and ProStaff Original 95
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/TripB04.html

Kreative compares the ProKennex Ki 15 PSE, Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus and the Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/Kreative02.html

Bcaz compares the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine MP, ProKennex Heritage Type R and the Yonex RDX 500 MP
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/bcaz02.html

Chris, TW

BreakPoint
01-11-2005, 11:38 AM
TripleB,

Are you serious about the T-2000 on your best of all time list? Most people couldn't deal with that steel and wire contraption. Were you a Connors imitator as a kid? (BTW, I was more of a McEnroe imitator with my Maxply Fort/Maxply McEnroe/Max 200G, limp wrist one-handed backhand, no knee bend volleys, and big slice serves when I was younger. :D )

ferrari_827
01-11-2005, 11:47 AM
The T-2000 is unplayable if you have anything less than incredible hand-eye coordination and footwork. Not only that it weighed a ton, worse than the SRD Tour. The PS6.0 85 feels like an oversized tweener in comparison. I couldn't serve or volley for the life of me with the T-2000

TripleB
01-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Break_Point,

Yes, I'm serious about the T-2000. I think it may be the fact that it was the first racquet I played with that wasn't wood. But I think that more importantly it's the fact that some of the best times I've ever had on the tennis court was with my dad when we were both using the T-2000. I think the first time I ever beat my dad a set I was using the T-2000. He's 72 now and doesn't get a chance to get out to the courts much any more so those T-2000 times are special for me. Maybe it's not so much the racquet I like but the memories that the racquet holds. Crazy reason to like a racquet huh?

TripleB

radical tourist
01-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Bob,
I think all your comments are valid. The POG that I tested had a lot more spin than power, leading to my impression that it was nearly impossible to overhit if you just made sure the ball cleared the net. It was difficult to exercise the same control with the NXG's power and swingweight.

bcaz
01-12-2005, 08:57 PM
It strikes me that there a lot of players out there looking for a racquet that's lighter than the well-known players' frames, has lots of flex, does a lot of things well, is maneuverable, produces lots of spin, shows nice control, and sells for a good price. I don't work for PK, I don't play a PK, and as nice as the stick is, I am not planning an immediate switch to the PK Heritage Type R. Even so, I think I'm the only player on these boards who has ever mentioned it, played with it, and demoed it. If some sort of snobbery or brand obsession or whatever is holding you back, let me tell you, this is a very nice frame. Do yourself a favor and look into it.

radical tourist
01-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Agree with bcaz. As you can see from Kreative's review, even a Pure Drive user found the PK Ki-15 PSE - with attractively similar specs - superior, and I'd agree after hitting with both sticks. But everyone knows if you use a PD you will play like Andy Roddick... not.

A_Instead
01-13-2005, 08:02 AM
I like these Comparative reveiws, they are very imformative and useful.

Yolkl
01-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Agree with bcaz. As you can see from Kreative's review, even a Pure Drive user found the PK Ki-15 PSE - with attractively similar specs - superior, and I'd agree after hitting with both sticks. But everyone knows if you use a PD you will play like Andy Roddick... not.

Looking for comparisons on these PK racquets (to each other):
Ionic KI 15 PSE
Heritage Type R
Heritage type S

kreative
01-13-2005, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=GuyPerez]
What is surprising is that you were able to use a 2 handed backhand. This stick has the shortest handle I have ever seen!
[QUOTE]

The PK Ki 15 PSE is a nice stick, but as you mentioned, I disliked the fact that the handle was so short. I did mention this in my review as well. I was able to play with it, but it wasn't as comfortable in that respect as much as I would like.

[QUOTE=radical tourist]
[QUOTE]

Right, the PK played suprisingly well, better than the Pure Drive. I'm seriously considering a switch, but am also looking to try the Npro, and Npro Surge. I just wish the handle was longer on the PK, it's so short.

radical tourist
01-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Yolkl,
bcaz felt the PK Heritage was overlooked. I added that the PK Ki 15 PSE (and predecessor PK 15GPSE) also were overlooked by people going to the Pure Drive simply because of marketing. I didn't mean to imply there was anything in common with the three PK sticks you list. Sorry.