PDA

View Full Version : Hitting with the RD7

crosscourt
04-27-2008, 07:11 AM
A couple of weeks ago I posted about how good the old RD Power 7 had been, and I was pulled up by at least one poster and told it was nothing like as good as the RD 7. Almost the next day I saw a pair of RD 7s in virtually mint condition and bought them. I have hit with them now for about 10 hours.

They are outstanding racquets. They produce topspin and slice without any real effort on my part. For trad players rackets they are surprisingly powerful. They are fabulously comfortable and give you excellent feel. Strung with an NRG2/alu power hybrid they weigh 356.6g. The balance is 32.5 cms and the swingweight is 335.

What surprises me most is that Yonex discontinued them/hasn't made a direct replacement for them. Because they have that bit more power than most players rackets you might think that they would be made for today's market. The spin production is perfectly suited to today's spin/power game. A 95 square inch Yonex head is extremely forgiving.

I am a Yonex fan. But no Yonex that I have hit with is a good as this -- and there have been plenty of good Yonex rackets recently.

cc

Rabbit
04-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Kinda makes you wonder if progress really is progress, doesn't it?

crosscourt
04-27-2008, 08:00 AM
I know what you mean. I can see why the PS 6.0 85 is no longer a racket for today, and I can see that the PC600 -- still the best racket all round in my view -- has drawbacks for the modern game. But the RD 7 seems kind of modern in many ways. Anyway, as you say, progress..

Peter Szucs
04-27-2008, 08:02 AM
A couple of weeks ago I posted about how good the old RD Power 7 had been, and I was pulled up by at least one poster and told it was nothing like as good as the RD 7. Almost the next day I saw a pair of RD 7s in virtually mint condition and bought them. I have hit with them now for about 10 hours.

They are outstanding racquets. They produce topspin and slice without any real effort on my part. For trad players rackets they are surprisingly powerful. They are fabulously comfortable and give you excellent feel. Strung with an NRG2/alu power hybrid they weigh 356.6g. The balance is 32.5 cms and the swingweight is 335.

What surprises me most is that Yonex discontinued them/hasn't made a direct replacement for them. Because they have that bit more power than most players rackets you might think that they would be made for today's market. The spin production is perfectly suited to today's spin/power game. A 95 square inch Yonex head is extremely forgiving.

I am a Yonex fan. But no Yonex that I have hit with is a good as this -- and there have been plenty of good Yonex rackets recently.

cc

agree.. i own two and they are great great frames... at least from the baseline they play outstanding... they hit very heavy ball... too bad that at the net they need more than me...:oops:

DrumWizOHBD
04-27-2008, 11:21 AM
These racquets also had an incredible feel and drop shots and touch volleys were butter. But you did have to hit with a lot of spin in my opinion to keep balls in the court. I never could giure out how Krajicek used to hit so flat with these. He must have had to string them at like 80 lbs!! Yes I miss the feel of those old yonex's:cry:

diredesire
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I used to own a couple, too. Great racquets, a little too swing heavy for me. I would have kept them strictly for "sentimental"/collectors' value, but I decided I'd just play with frames that are good for me. Unfortunately, the RD7 wasn't it.

!Tym
04-27-2008, 01:18 PM
These racquets also had an incredible feel and drop shots and touch volleys were butter. But you did have to hit with a lot of spin in my opinion to keep balls in the court. I never could giure out how Krajicek used to hit so flat with these. He must have had to string them at like 80 lbs!! Yes I miss the feel of those old yonex's:cry:

The reason is Krajicek never actually used the RD-7. Krajicek used the Super RD Tour 90, which is a lower power but stiffer headed racket that excels at directional control in my opinion. He also used the SRDT 90 with I believe a custom 18x20 string pattern, which would have made the frame just super (pardon the pun) for hitting out...without hitting out...flat.

Even when supposedly made the switch to the RD-Ti 70 88, I believe the rumor was that he was still using his custom SRDT 90 with the dense pattern. Even if he didn't, and actually did use the RD-Ti 70 88, that racket is about as good as you're going to get for a flat hitter, precision bomb server like Krajicek.

All this said, the RD-7 could work well for any ground stroke style even flatter hitters. Dosedel hit fairly flat, as did Malivai Washington. They both loved the frame, and Washington was said to have stocked up on as many as he could when he heard Yonex was discontinuing them so it really wasn't just for show (i.e. sponsorship dollars) that he endorsed the racket so pristinely and glowingly, the little Yonex angel.

The key with the RD-7 though I thought was to string it up tight if you wanted more control for flatter shots. Washington strung it up pretty tight as I recall. It was a very versatile racket that way, and unlike a lot of rackets didn't play too harsh at all if you maxed out the tension.

hrstrat57
04-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Makes no sense that one isn't made anymore. You did good finding two of those to put in your bag, you're all set.....

I have a super rd tour 95, also outstanding......

Rabbit
04-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Didn't Rios use this frame? Yonex frames were pretty much my second favorites after Volkls..

Feņa14
04-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Fantastic frames.

One thing about them though is that the different gripsizes play quite differently.

gapchong
04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, the feeling of thumping the ball is unbeatable!

hrstrat57
04-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Wasn't Dosedel the smiley face painted on the string guy?

!Tym
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Wasn't Dosedel the smiley face painted on the string guy?

Sure was. Good thing he was a ball massager, not a ball thumper, or that smile would have been wiped right off. Wonder if he still uses it?

!Tym
04-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Didn't Rios use this frame? Yonex frames were pretty much my second favorites after Volkls..

He still DOES use the frame apparently. He tried to some Volkl rackets out apparently, but loved his custom-length RD-7 too much to switch.

He's apparently been using a one-inch longer RD-7 lengthened in the handle for practically his whole career under various paint jobs such as the RD-Power 10 he was most known for and the RD-Ti 50. Personally, I HATE the RD-Ti 50 tire rubber paint job, too boring. Rios the little he-devil belongs in RED.

To me, the two racket cosmetics that suit that boy toy the most are the RD Power 10 and the flaming RD-7. Give him a Village People hat, and he'd be right at home playing World Team Tennis for the Sacramento Capitols...eh, I'm sleepy right now so sue me.

In D Zone
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
ok .... you guys got me intrigued. I am going back to my closet and get the RD7 out hibernation.

I have only played with my RD7 twice and felt the frame too flexible; although I like the RD7 better than SRD95.

hrstrat57
04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Sure was. Good thing he was a ball massager, not a ball thumper, or that smile would have been wiped right off. Wonder if he still uses it?

saw him at new haven bits and pcs of several matches late 90's. I used to wander around the grounds at the old pilot pen early rounds, taking in the whole tourney.

funny guy, always happy on the court - the smiley face fit....

as I recall he didn't win a whole lot tho......could be wrong, my memory is lousy

auzzieizm
04-29-2008, 03:51 AM
ok .... you guys got me intrigued. I am going back to my closet and get the RD7 out hibernation.

I have only played with my RD7 twice and felt the frame too flexible; although I like the RD7 better than SRD95.

I felt the exact same way. I loved the spin capabilities on groundstrokes and could hit some great serves with it, but the flexibility hurt me on service returns and volleys. The RD7 was so much fun to hit around with, I just could not use it competitively. So I just kept the frame because I know how hard it was to get a hold of.

The key with the RD-7 though I thought was to string it up tight if you wanted more control for flatter shots. Washington strung it up pretty tight as I recall. It was a very versatile racket that way, and unlike a lot of rackets didn't play too harsh at all if you maxed out the tension.

Now that this thread has popped up, I am curious to give the RD 7 a shot again. What tension range really makes the frame shine? If I remember correctly, I read that Rios strung his with full gut up close to 70 lbs. I currently have mine strung with Polylon 17g @ 56 lbs. mains and OG Micro 17g @ 58 lbs. crosses. Any advice on what would be a good tension to try with this string combination? Thanks in advance for any help.

In D Zone
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, played with the RD7 in a match yesterday (which I should have not done).
Yes - I stunked big time. No problem with the serve - 1st and 2nd serves were connecting and aced the opponent a number of times. Trouble came with the forehand and slice. I found myself over hitting - the flexier frame did not paired well with my swing - I was swinging too fast on my forehand. I took off the pedal on my strokes on slices which causes my ball to land short or too low hitting the net. Just terrible - it totally altered my timing ....

On the bright side - yes, it great on spin. I did not have problems on my serves. Found it to be 1hbh friendly - managed to whipped thru a couple of bh winners.

Well... since I am used to stiffer frame- I think I'll reserve the RD7 on the side for now. The RD7 is a good racquet , I am sure if I play with it a little more I'll get use to it but not for now.

!Tym
04-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I felt the exact same way. I loved the spin capabilities on groundstrokes and could hit some great serves with it, but the flexibility hurt me on service returns and volleys. The RD7 was so much fun to hit around with, I just could not use it competitively. So I just kept the frame because I know how hard it was to get a hold of.

Now that this thread has popped up, I am curious to give the RD 7 a shot again. What tension range really makes the frame shine? If I remember correctly, I read that Rios strung his with full gut up close to 70 lbs. I currently have mine strung with Polylon 17g @ 56 lbs. mains and OG Micro 17g @ 58 lbs. crosses. Any advice on what would be a good tension to try with this string combination? Thanks in advance for any help.

I always strang mine at 65lbs. regardless of what string I chose, from gut to whatever. My baseline, go-to setup though was a Forten Kevlar Gear 17L hybrid at 65lbs. with 18g Gosen Sheep synthetic gut in the crosses.

I didn't like the RD-7 AT ALL when I strung it up in the middle to lower tension range.

BOZO
04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
My RD7 strung at 55/53 KSP/Head Rip control. I feel the racquet hoop allows to against rising ball easier than others. Maybe because my style of play, I always hit flat ball against a huge topspin ball cross court to my FH. Form comparison, I used this set up with N6.1 95 but it didn't give me low ball enough & power.

crosscourt
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I agree about taking on the rising ball. The RD7 seems to make that easy.

cc

auzzieizm
05-01-2008, 04:07 AM
I always strang mine at 65lbs. regardless of what string I chose, from gut to whatever. My baseline, go-to setup though was a Forten Kevlar Gear 17L hybrid at 65lbs. with 18g Gosen Sheep synthetic gut in the crosses.

I didn't like the RD-7 AT ALL when I strung it up in the middle to lower tension range.

I strung it up at 62/64 with polylon/OG Micro. That set up definitely made a world of difference- although I have only just hit around with it so far. I didn't have anymore random flyaway shots. Touch shots were amazing- you can really work the angles and dipping topspin shots with this frame. I was having to take a big swing each time on groundstrokes because the frame is tighter than I usually string it at. Best part about it though is the high kicking topspin- almost felt like I was hitting with an APD with more of a classic feel. Anyway alot of fun- hope to get more time in with this frame soon.