PDA

View Full Version : Coria is back in Barcelona!

Tennisfan!
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
The magician is back!
In Barcelona he will play again!
Yessssssssssssss!

Breaker
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Nice, now El Mago will steal Nadal's clay court thunder...by setting a new record for double faults :).

tacou
04-27-2008, 10:29 AM
it'd be cool if he won a match

deme08
04-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Coria will need at least a year to get back to top 20, if ever.

Leublu tennis
04-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Good break for him. He was on stand by and replaced one of the dropouts.

blackfrido
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Coria will need at least a year to get back to top 20, if ever.

He took a year already trying to come back! He's been playing challengers and being beaten in the first round every single time :confused:

tennis_hand
04-28-2008, 06:45 AM
it is very difficult to get back to the tour after a long break.

tacou
04-28-2008, 07:52 AM
anyone know when he's scheduled to play? today or tomorrow?

random guy
04-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Best of wishes to El Mago. Unfortunately if he wins his first match he has to play next Caņas and it would be sad for Caņas to take him out of the tournament.

Jimmyk459
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Coria might never be the same but it would be amazing to see him get back to top 20 shape.

random guy
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
anyone know when he's scheduled to play? today or tomorrow?

Tomorrow, vs Gabashvil.

blackfrido
04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S3EA7V8wpM&feature=related

Coria training in Naples this year

Shaolin
04-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Whats up with the Tuesday start, thats completely ********.

diegaa
04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Whats up with the Tuesday start, thats completely ********.

yea, in both ways! :p (sorry... monday morning, you know)

Alejandro D
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Hope Coria can make a succesful comeback. It was really fun to see him play.

blackfrido
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Willy is waiting for him on the second round!

edmondsm
04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
His results don't look good at all. He even lost to Cuevas (the guy who got beat by Ryan Harrison and Donald Young in b2b weeks). He can't even get wins in the challengers yet. I'm not holding my breath for a Coria comeback.

blackfrido
04-28-2008, 11:18 AM
another vid this time training in Montecarlo;
http://www.segundosaque.com/video/302/Coria+entrenando+en+Montecarlo

xanctus
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Anyone watched his game yesterday?
I just saw from live scoring result, it seems his serve is much better.
1st set 7 double faults, 2nd set 2 and none on the last one.

any comments on his games ?

Bogie
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
The magician is back!

and now the magician is leaving barcelona.......again

tennis_hand
04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
this just rubbishes all the talk on the forum saying that the current pros are not as good as the 90s and the former pros can come back to still win titles. Coria, not even in the 90s, can't even beat a low ranked player.

what about those that asked Sampras to come back?
just for him to beaten in the 1st round in Wimbledon? lol.

lambielspins
04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
this just rubbishes all the talk on the forum saying that the current pros are not as good as the 90s and the former pros can come back to still win titles. Coria, not even in the 90s, can't even beat a low ranked player.

what about those that asked Sampras to come back?
just for him to beaten in the 1st round in Wimbledon? lol.

I dont get at all what you are saying. Because Coria sucks now and struggles to even when matches it shows what the strength of the current game? I actually agree with you that many on this form vastly overrate who stupendous the 90s were, and that todays field is better then those people give it credit for. I just dont get at all how Coria sucking badly these days shows that in anyway.

!Tym
04-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I dont get at all what you are saying. Because Coria sucks now and struggles to even when matches it shows what the strength of the current game? I actually agree with you that many on this form vastly overrate who stupendous the 90s were, and that todays field is better then those people give it credit for. I just dont get at all how Coria sucking badly these days shows that in anyway.

Yeah, I tend to look at it more as an isolated incident. Once retrievers "lose it", they tend to REALLY lose it. It's just like with Chang, Muster, and Hewitt. It takes a certain mentality and self-confidence to just run down every ball all day and just KNOW you're not going to miss, EVER. And that's intimidating to other players when a retriever is at the height of optimum senses. However, they lose even just a WHISKER of attention and heart and confidence, and suddenly NO ONE'S afraid of them, and for a retriever that's like the kiss of death.

Big servers like Krajicek and Joachim Johansson for example seem to able to comeback from long periods of inactivity, and step right back in and be competitive. Again, I really think that guys who rely on movement rely on a kind of metronomical rhythm that is VERY hard to regain once you've lost the "feel" and INTUITION for it. That's a very important distinction to make. Elite retrievers at their best just feel and look sooooo zoned in, it's like their eyes are bulging out like aliens and they know where every ball's going to go before you even know, they always just seem to "guess right" and just BE THERE...*all* the time, and THAT is what unnerves the other players into a downward spiral of errors. Once that mystique has been lost, it's almost impossible to regain it. You can't just jump back in, and expect to have all your ball sniffing senses so completely IN TUNE unless you're God or something.

Look at this way, if you haven't played for awhile, you'll probably find that from a stationary position you don't really forget your form and can still hit the ball pretty close to where you left off. Where the rust REALLY shows itself, however, is in how "responsive" your mind is, how quick and alert it is, to picking up subtle ball cues with split second timing under game pace conditions. That "reactivity", that sense of being fully in-tune with the THREE-DIMENSIONAL landscape of a tennis match and court against an actively resisting foe is what makes peak Hewitt, Hewitt, peak Muster, Muster, and peak Chang, Chang.

I mean seriously once those guys fell off their peak, did you ever really truly feel like they were super-uber-DUPER locked-in like they used to be? I didn't. At their best, it's like their heart was a magnet for the ball. Now, it's like they're wayward dogs playing tennis on a leash, it's sad, really.