PDA

View Full Version : Will Isner ever improve?

Aeropro master
04-27-2008, 01:57 PM
After Isner's amazing run at D.C., he has lost in mostly the first or second round. Here are some of his last tournaments:
Houston:
L in 1st round: Sergio Roitman, 6-3 6-7(6) 3-6

Miami:
L in 1st round: Gael Monfils, 7-6 3-6 3-6

Indian Wells:
W in 1st round: Simone Bolelli, 6-3 6-7(5) 7-6(2)
L in 2nd round: Davydenko, 2-6 6-7(3)

Las Vegas:
W in 1st round: Alejandro Falla, 4-6 6-3 6-4
L in 2nd round: Kevin Anderson, 6-7(2) 5-7

Memphis:
L in 1st round: Jurgen Melzer, 7-6 3-6 6-7(4)

I think he will never make the top 50 as people said, he seems to always get into 3-setters then lose or barely win and then lose the next round. What do you guys think?

ufgatorkid
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
His movement and groundstrokes are terrible. He needs to S&V IMO, but his volleys need to be improved as well.

caesar66
04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
to me the fact that he's losing three setters means he's doing something right in order to take a set off folks. Lots of those matches are lost at 7-5 or in a tiebreak. To me, this means that to really get over the hump, he'll need more experience on tour and some solid coaching.

35ft6
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Those aren't horrible losses. He was probably playing out of his mind at D.C., he arguably IS improving. Losing in a tie-breaker to Davydenko, playing a crafty veteran like Melzer to a tight 3 sets, those are good results for somebody's who's still adjusting to the sustained excellence of the pro tour. In some of the matches I've seen him in, it seems like he thinks he can hit through people the way he could in college, so it's just going to be a matter of him figuring out the best game to take full advantage of his serve kind of like the way Karlovic did. This might involve adopting a Sampras like strategy, where he conserves energy by not taking every return game seriously, and just waiting for those 2 or 3 points a set to step it up a notch with all the energy he's conserved, getting the break, and coasting out the set to a 6-4 win.

big ted
04-27-2008, 02:10 PM
houston seems to be his only bad loss to me, the others are good players

stormholloway
04-27-2008, 02:11 PM
His movement and groundstrokes are terrible. He needs to S&V IMO, but his volleys need to be improved as well.

I don't think his groundstrokes are terrible at all. I think his forehand is pretty heavy actually.

JLyon
04-27-2008, 02:13 PM
He lost 2nd Rd in Bermuda in straights to Vince Spadea.
Isner will only go as far as his serve lets him, until he improves his groundies.

bluetrain4
04-27-2008, 02:25 PM
The run in Washington last summer and the subsequent 4-setter versus Fed at the USO go people's expectations way too high.

He can always win matches with his serve, but he can always lose due to his horrible movement and really average groundstrokes.

His settling point around No. 100 with the kind of results he's had this year aren't that suprising.

Aeropro master
04-27-2008, 02:50 PM
do you think that it is affecting isner that he can't afford to leave the country and play some of the tournaments in europe? I don't think that he's played on clay in europe yet, which means that many people will surpass him in the rankings during the clay court season.

johnny ballgame
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Especially early in his career, Isner will struggle to get good results on anything but a very fast surface. On a fast surface, he is capable of pulling off some big upsets. He had a nice run to the quarters of San Jose this year, and should have made the semis (lost 11-9 in third set tiebreaker).

So, forget about this Spring, he probably won't win a match. But come Wimbledon and especially the summer hard courts, he will be very dangerous.

AT92292
04-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Cut him some slack he has been a pro less than a year and he is already 85 in the world

flyer
04-27-2008, 03:42 PM
hes fine, hes not a slam winner but he'll get better and peak his talent, prolly a few tourny wins over his career

goober
04-27-2008, 04:55 PM
He will improve how much I don't know but I doubt consistent top 50.

I think when he first arrived on tour, people were not use to his serve. Once players started figuring it out he wasn't winning as much.

Mark Vessels
04-27-2008, 04:58 PM
His serve is underated.

Shaolin
04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
His serve is underated.

???????????????????

I dont think anyone underrates his serve. Its credit to his serve that he is even playing ATP matches at all.

hoosierbr
04-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Always an adjustment from college to the ATP.

Isner, however, doesn't seem to have figured out what kind of game he should be playing. Given the relative weakness of his ground game and his lack of mobility playing serve-and-volley would be his best option in my opinion. However, his volleys need to improve a lot and he needs to learn how to use his serve more effectively. Andy Roddick is a perfect example that you can't just serve through opponents with pace only.

IanRichardson
04-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I think he is improving. If you look at the losses, those are for the most part to veterans, or really good players.

His game is not without weaknesses, but it is not fair to say he is not improving.

Even though he is 22, he has been on the pro tour less than a year and has had some good results. Give it time. I think he will peak top 50 somewhere, but you never know what could happen, for all we know he could come out this year and win wimbledon and the US open... that is what makes it fun to watch.

Fedace
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I think his best bet is to learn to play just like Ivo Karlovic. Isner plays too much too often from the backcourt. I don't think he can ever improve his movement to a point where he can rallie with top guys on the tour. He CAN and play groundies as long as he doesn't have to hit on the run too often.
2. also he must learn a better slice backhand to compliment his transition game. Good slice will give the big man enough time to close in real tight to pick off high volleys.
3. He must come in often and come in every time possible like Ivo does.
4. Isner must learn to attack the return and attack the return of serve often and get to the net on effective return approaches.
So overall, i actually think he can be even a better player than Ivo Karlovic as long as he can learn to follow the stretegy of Ivo Karlovic.

Djokovicfan4life
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
He reminds me of Karlovic a few years ago, before he improved his strokes a little. He'll get there, he just needs a little more time. :)

Fedace
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
^^^You have to remember that Ivo had NO groundies to speak of or NO return game to speak of. but he always had good transition game. come in on good approaches and end the point with solid or great volleys. Problem with Isner is that his transition game is NOT up to par in the pro level. and he is too much in love with his ground game. He thinks he can play like Querry and become top 50. NO WAY, he can do this. Isner's groundies are not even 1/10 as good as Querry's and Movement wise, Querry has improved his 120%,, while Isner is about the same as when he turned pro.

Max G.
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Of course he can improve. He's been on the main tour for less than a year now - he's had some wins and some losses. Really, the main test will come once the DC points wear off - will he be able to stay top 100?

Yes, Querrey's improved amazingly this year - Isner can improve as well, he's still adjusting to the tour. I think he'll be able to raise his game enough to stay in the top 100 - he's currently 101st in the race, he'll drop a lot during the clay season, he'll probably not be able to take advantage of the grass this time around (he needs a return game to do really do well on grass for more than a match at a time...), then will get back up during the summer hardcourts. And if he stays top 100, that'll be a good year for him.

But why the pessimism? Why the thoughts that he will 'never' improve? He seems to be a hard worker, he's got a monster weapon in his serve, and he's got some groundstrokes or volleys to base improvement off of.

Leublu tennis
04-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Those aren't horrible losses. He was probably playing out of his mind at D.C., he arguably IS improving. Losing in a tie-breaker to Davydenko, playing a crafty veteran like Melzer to a tight 3 sets, those are good results for somebody's who's still adjusting to the sustained excellence of the pro tour. In some of the matches I've seen him in, it seems like he thinks he can hit through people the way he could in college, so it's just going to be a matter of him figuring out the best game to take full advantage of his serve kind of like the way Karlovic did. This might involve adopting a Sampras like strategy, where he conserves energy by not taking every return game seriously, and just waiting for those 2 or 3 points a set to step it up a notch with all the energy he's conserved, getting the break, and coasting out the set to a 6-4 win.

Good analysis. I wish we had more posts like this from people who know more about tennis than I do. Thank you.

Leublu tennis
04-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Oh, and I think he will improve. He just turned 23. Lots of tennis ahead of him and I wish him the luck to stay healthy. Thats the worst enemy of the players. An oponent they can never defeat.

Aeropro master
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
i hope he hs enough money to stay on the tour, he has made $71,000 so far this year compared to 111,000 by Nishikori which could be a problem when most of the tournaments are in Europe. I don't think he played Monte Carlo and he also isn't playing barcelona or Munich. He also just lost in stragiht sets to Spadea, which is a player who he should beat, considering he is on his decline and has been playing some challenger tourneys and still not winning those either.

tennis_hand
04-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I doubt it.

he is too big to be nimble on the court.