PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace the grip on my racket with leather?

SpinningForehand
04-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I have an o3 tour mid with the stock synthetic grip. I think it is a pretty good racket, but would it change much if i added a tenniswarehouse leather grip and then a yonex supergrap on top? What would the effects be? Do any of you guys like to replace the grips on your prince rackets?

Nitro
04-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Read one of the many stickied items in the Other Equipment section.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-27-2008, 04:41 PM
the racket will become more head light

HeadPrestige
04-27-2008, 04:50 PM
If you are use to synthetic grips--- stick with synthetic grips.

Nitro
04-27-2008, 05:35 PM

What are you talking about? Plenty of people swear by leather grips.

Richie Rich
04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I have an o3 tour mid with the stock synthetic grip. I think it is a pretty good racket, but would it change much if i added a tenniswarehouse leather grip and then a yonex supergrap on top? What would the effects be? Do any of you guys like to replace the grips on your prince rackets?

i replace all my grips with leather and overgrip. i find i like the feel of the bevels better. it adds weight though.

depending on the frame and your preferences, you may want to counterbalance the weight added by the leather with some lead at the top of the frame.

change one thing at a time though. change to leather/overgrip then see what you think after hitting a few balls.

goober
04-27-2008, 06:02 PM

I switched all my grips to leather and eventually went back. It does make your racquet a little heavier and a little more headlight. The difference was pretty small though. You can feel the bevels better and you get more feel overall but the amount will vary from person to person.

The main problem I had was leather is not a good shock absorber compared to certain cushioned synthetic grips and I had starting getting mild tennis elbow twinges.

Nitro
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Ultimately, its a all preference. I prefer leather to synthetic.

SpinningForehand
04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Alright, thanks, im gona try it because i use a western grip and a 2 handed backhand and I would like to feel the bevels more.

anirut
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
If you're not scared of weight & a very HL racket ...

I use thin synthetic + leather + overgrip. The grip jumps about two sizes (3/8 - 5/8 ). This way the grip feels very nice and firm as well as very shock-absorbing.

If you do it right you won't be increasing too much weight and you won't lose the bevels much. They may not be as pronounced as they should be, but you can still feel them.

SFrazeur
04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
The best thing you can do is try it. Even if you do not like the sound of a more head light balance that, however, might be outweighed by the benefits.

Leather grips can be somewhat addicting to use. Once I got used to leather, with it's firm and sharp bevel feel I have found it very difficult to go back to the more rounded edge of synthetic grips with their clumsier feel.

-SF

HeadPrestige
04-27-2008, 08:29 PM

I said if he was USE to it. Leather is great, if you are use to that as well... i did not say they grips were somehow inferior to synthetics.

tbini87
04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
your racquet will be a little heavier and a little more headlight. it will also feel stiffer, and you will feel more vibration. might be a little rough on the wrist and elbow compared to syn. you will feel the bevels more which feels pretty awesome. leather is also rougher on the hands, so be ready for some roughed up hands.

pow
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
The best thing you can do is try it. Even if you do not like the sound of a more head light balance that, however, might be outweighed by the benefits.

Leather grips can be somewhat addicting to use. Once I got used to leather, with it's firm and sharp bevel feel I have found it very difficult to go back to the more rounded edge of synthetic grips with their clumsier feel.

-SF

Took the words right out of my mouth, I feel the same way... it's hard for me to imagine going back.