PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet's backhand grip

0range
04-27-2008, 02:29 PM
What kind of backhand grip does he use? Classic? Extreme?

In)SpiRe
04-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Extreme...

0range
04-27-2008, 02:46 PM
...who else on men's tour use the same (extreme) grip for their 1hbh?

soyizgood
04-27-2008, 03:00 PM

I think Kuerten uses that grip as well. Henin uses it too.

bluescreen
04-27-2008, 03:50 PM
kuerten obviously. and yes, henin. i really cant think of anybody else.

Bjorn99
04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Good for some pretty serious hip displacia/sciatica/hip degeneration, but OHHHH so much fun to hit. Gasquet moves so well, he has obviously done hours and hours of lateral hill training and deep squats. His legs were chickenesque when he was fourteen, now he has the body of a centaur. If he didn't have such an Edbergian forehand(awful) and serve............... he would rule.

0range
04-27-2008, 04:02 PM
displacia/sciatica/hip degeneration? really?

Oh no, I was hoping to switch to 1hbh with extreme grip so that I never had to change my grip between my forehand and backhand...

0range
04-27-2008, 04:03 PM
and yes Gasquet has amazing legs hehehe.

serve/and/volley
04-27-2008, 04:14 PM
This is a general guide. However Europeans do not use such terminology, and don't have such strict ideas of grip:

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649

Bogie
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
gasquet actually switched his grip at the end of last year after the masters cup. why? i have absolutely no idea, but look at some stills of his backhand from this year as well as some videos of how he's hitting it and you will see that he has switched to what seems to be an eastern grip ala youzhny, haas, wawrinka, kohlschreiber, etc. he is also slicing a lot more this year and trying to hit much flatter. personally, i believe that this is one of the worst moves he could've possibly made and his results this year are only confirming this. it would be like sampras changing his service motion to that of nadal's. why change something that is already the best in the game?....

Bogie
04-27-2008, 05:55 PM

kuerten, almagro, robredo, volandri, acasuso, calleri, montanes, berlocq, hernandez, garcia-lopez, daniel, bolleli, roitman, gasquet used to up intil the beginning of this year