PDA

View Full Version : Microgel Radical mp vs. Liquidmetal radical mp

Lee James
04-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Anyone here play with both and can give me a quick rundown on how they compare?

fortunecookiesjc
04-27-2008, 05:47 PM
there's been other various thread about these two racquets, i personally love my LM over MR. Really there's not much difference, or atleast not much difference to make it 100 dollars more...

MR is a bit lighter and and sswings bit lighter... but not much difference ( personally)

fortunecookiesjc
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
oh and it MR flexes more

hyrulemaster
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Long time user of the LM Radical here, and I demoed the MG Radical MP in the summer for about a week and thought it was much more solid, stable, and consistent. I loved the thing over the LM.

If youre considering between the two this probably just makes your decision 3x harder. But I didnt buy the MG. Worth $100 more? I dont think so.

IF youre considering between the two, get the LM. I liked the MG a lot but thats partially because I was really angry at my LM radical in that period, so I liked the MG over it more than I normally would have.
Both are great.

Seacoast Stringer
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I like the heavier swingweight and stability of the LM Radical over the MG. They are both nice frames but the older LM version has a nice static weight, a solid swingweight, and great control. I wouldn't pay the big money just to get the "latest" version.

fortunecookiesjc
04-27-2008, 05:55 PM
LM radical allllll the way. YOu can can't beat the price. I Love mine to death and been experimenting with different lead combos on the current 3 i have. Though I may have an affair with a diablo mp coming in :)

Lee James
04-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I've been leaning towards getting a few lm radicals. I demoed the MG version last week, and wasn't too fond of it. It served well, and had a decent amount of control, but it felt too light, hollow, and tinny to me (two things I really hate). I'm trying to replace my pro staff tour 90's, and being a nearly broke college student, the price point of the radicals is too enticing.lol Plus I've also read on these boards that with a little lead tape, you can really get some performance out of these sticks. My biggest concern is how stable they are, and if they are capable of standing up to heavy hitters off the ground, and in service returns.

fortunecookiesjc
04-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Even at stock i find it quite stable. Ive been using my stock one with the original strings ( waiting just for the right ball to crush a homerun with and have an excuse to restring it)

If concern of heavy hitter/ service returns, tape at 3/9 about 2-4g on each side for me personally was really really stable.

Though recently ive been leaning towards 4g on the inside of the throat and a g or 2 p at 12. I have a post ive asked people earlier.

anyways.... solid racquet on all aspect in my opinion.

origmarm
04-28-2008, 03:06 AM
The differences for me were that the LM is stiffer and has more power than the MG. The MG felt more dampened and less stable on the swing. I added lead at 3&9 to the MG for my bro and it plays a bit better. Personally I think it's fine but for the money I would buy the LMs. My brother prefers the feel of the microgels though, they are more "old school" feeling as he describes it

Lee James
04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
The differences for me were that the LM is stiffer and has more power than the MG. The MG felt more dampened and less stable on the swing. I added lead at 3&9 to the MG for my bro and it plays a bit better. Personally I think it's fine but for the money I would buy the LMs. My brother prefers the feel of the microgels though, they are more "old school" feeling as he describes it

Did you add lead to the lm radical?

origmarm
04-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Did you add lead to the lm radical?

I didn't actually, I feel like the LM has a higher swingweight anyway and it felt more stable on contact. That said this was for my brother for the MG, I would probably have done the same though if it was my stick.

Lee James
04-28-2008, 07:44 AM
I didn't actually, I feel like the LM has a higher swingweight anyway and it felt more stable on contact. That said this was for my brother for the MG, I would probably have done the same though if it was my stick.

Would you say that the lm in stock form is stable against heavy groundstrokes and serves?

fortunecookiesjc
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
lol i has said earlier even at stock form it had great stability

AlpineCadet
04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I've been leaning towards getting a few lm radicals. I demoed the MG version last week, and wasn't too fond of it. It served well, and had a decent amount of control, but it felt too light, hollow, and tinny to me (two things I really hate). I'm trying to replace my pro staff tour 90's, and being a nearly broke college student, the price point of the radicals is too enticing.lol Plus I've also read on these boards that with a little lead tape, you can really get some performance out of these sticks. My biggest concern is how stable they are, and if they are capable of standing up to heavy hitters off the ground, and in service returns.

Agreed. A friend bought the MG Radical MP, applied LM Prestige CAPs, and a head calfskin leather grip, strung with full NXT at 60lbs, and the frame still felt underpowered compared to his stock LM Radical MP with leather. The MG Rad. def. feels underpowered, with a very flexible feel to it that feels unstable when you miss the sweetspot. I would say getting the MG Rad. would be a downgrade of the LM Radical, though the MG Rad. has a more aggressive paintjob.

Lee James
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
lol i has said earlier even at stock form it had great stability

Missed that. lol Just trying to sell myself on these racquets. lol

fortunecookiesjc
04-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Just get the LM!!!! You could get like 2 for the price of 1 MG

Its up to you if you want lead on it. Ive experimenting for the past couple days and I think ive finally settled it at lead at 12 with leather grip ( go with babolat grip if u get leather)

Lee James
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I think that's what I'm going to do. The price point really can't be beat.

fortunecookiesjc
04-28-2008, 06:00 PM
dont forget some Leather and get some 1/4 lead if you want to experiment with lead.

Lee James
04-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I'll definitely give that setup a go and post my thoughts.

MPfromNY07
04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
hey all i still currently use the lm radical. definitely go with the liquidmetal rad. its way more stable. Plus, i play college and honestly i commonly see top level players in my conference playing with lm rad. (however they are leaded up like crazy) I have tried leading at 12 and leather grip, does anyone else have any other suggestions of where to lead?

fortunecookiesjc
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
How do you like the setup so far? I have it setup on one of mine but havnt played with it yet

AlpineCadet
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I've had the depolarized setup in my Radical for around 2 months now, and it's basically the best stick I've used to date. I got my second one in today, and will apply the same setup. ~20 grams in the throat, and a leather grip. With the customized weight, the LM Radical MP with the right strings and tension = Tennis Nirvana for me. The MG Radicals can stay where they are; I'm not dropping $150+ for something that plays less stable and with less feel.

origmarm
04-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Would you say that the lm in stock form is stable against heavy groundstrokes and serves?

Sorry for the later reply, I had gone home :)

Yes I would, it doesn't have the stability of a 12oz stick but it's one of the best sub 12oz that I have played with for that. That said I tend to swing at returns a fair bit so that should be factored in

samster
06-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Any more recommendation to modifying the LM Radical from the experts? :)

gsharma
06-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm not dropping $150+ for something that plays less stable and with less feel.

I will have to differ with you on the last part of your comment. MG Radical MP might be less stable but there is no way it has less feel. Absolutely not! The stick has a stiffness rating of 57 so it's incredibly flexible. However, it has plenty of power if you hit the sweetspot, which is fairly big on the 98 sq in head. For me, I'd rather get a softer stick that I can customize to increase it's power. Remember, you can always get more power but not the other way around.

BERDI4
12-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I only demoed the FxP Radical MP and it sucks!

OnyxZ28
12-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Any more recommendation to modifying the LM Radical from the experts? :)

Two layers of lead at 3 & 9 between the LM ridges, lead in the handle, and 2" of silicone at the buttcap.

cys19
04-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Two layers of lead at 3 & 9 between the LM ridges, lead in the handle, and 2" of silicone at the buttcap.

How do you add the 2" of silicone?

NeverGassed1212
04-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I have to agree with everyone else and say that the LM Radical is the way to go. I was not impressed with the MG Radical and actually bought a MG Prestige after going through a demo program at a local shop. Six months later I got my hands on a LM Radical and now I own two and the Prestige is just a practice stick.

Mansewerz
04-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Anyone get arm problems from the LM radicals?

NeverGassed1212
04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
I forgot to mention that all I have done was add a lead weight in the butt cap and switched grips to Head hydrosorb. I actually tired a bunch of mods even capping one but found that all I needed was a little more headlight balance, maybe a product of playing a MG Prestige.

UncleRico.
04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Anyone get arm problems from the LM radicals?
I got arm problems from leading up the thing too much + stiff *** poly stringing. The combination of the two was no good, since I have a really whippy stroke, so mishits would really torque on my arm.

I have since gotten Pro Supex Big Ace and just kept lead at the throat, without any sacrifice in maneuverability. Plays wonderfully, but I do want to try 3 and 9 leading again.

It just sucks to try serving with a newly leaded racket, its like a brick.

DjordjeRosic
04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I recently switched from the Ti Radical to the LM, I personally loved that racket to death, but due to its availability I decided to trade my Ti's for LM's. Today I hit with it for the first time.........it felt good and all, but the problem was I didn't feel the confidence I did with my Ti's, does anyone believe that I should stay with the LM, has this happened to anyone, like a adjustment period of sorts...??

Any advice on this issue would greatly help.

Thanks.

-Djordje

Mansewerz
04-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I got arm problems from leading up the thing too much + stiff *** poly stringing. The combination of the two was no good, since I have a really whippy stroke, so mishits would really torque on my arm.

I have since gotten Pro Supex Big Ace and just kept lead at the throat, without any sacrifice in maneuverability. Plays wonderfully, but I do want to try 3 and 9 leading again.

It just sucks to try serving with a newly leaded racket, its like a brick.

Interesting. Hopefully i'll hit with my friend's LM rad mp tomorrow. Stiffest frame I'll have tried so far (well, with the exception of the 5 mins I played with my bro's k95.)

bertrevert
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
They're both immensely likeable frames.

I have tried others but I keep coming back...

With lead: As stock the LM Rad is a great frame, but it benefits from lead. The MG Rad needs a lot of lead.

As stock, the LM brought greater accuracy, feel, and better serves to my game. Bigger sweetspot. Linear (cannot desc?) not too whippy. If you hit upper hoop it's perfect.

The MG is more comfortable, it just oozes good feel. Smaller sweetspot. Whippier, v manouverable at net. Just less sting on the ball unfortunately, you have to hit out harder perhaps making for more UE. You have to add lead. Beam feels thinner. Bridge is scooped. It gives more feedback.

BERDI4
04-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Anyone has the specs of the tour version of the LM radical? I want lead mine to make it similar to the tour.

DjordjeRosic
04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
My serve is amazing with this racket, for doubles I love it, I ask my partner where he wants me to place my serve and either kick or flat as hell, and there it goes lol. It took me roughly 5-7 days to get used to it over my last racket, but im very happy with it =)

-Djordje

tenniscool
04-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I just got this stick and picked it up and played with it the other day.

All I have to say is that it's probably the best racket I've ever played with haha. It didn't even take any getting use to at all

tenniscool
04-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I just got this stick and picked it up and played with it the other day.

All I have to say is that it's probably the best racket I've ever played with haha. It didn't even take any getting use to at all

I was talking about the LM radical Mid+ haha sorry I didn't mention it -_-

DjordjeRosic
04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
lol i thought it was the micro gel XD

-Djordje

cesarmo03
04-16-2009, 11:59 PM
so 2 layers 3-9 is going to make it more stable???

1/2? or 1/4??

tenniscool
04-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Personally the LM radical stock feels great to me, doesn't really need any customization

AlpineCadet
04-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I have two LM Radical MP and one FXP Radical MP and all three are in amazing shape. The only problem I have is that I switched to Prince!

:grin:

P8ntballa
04-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Power:LM
Control:MG
Spin:MG
Stability:LM
Touch/Feel:MG
Comfort:MG
The MG has WAYYYYY less power then the LM and is less stable, but other then that the MG beat out the LM in every other catagory. The MG swings lighter, has a flexy and very comfy feel, and the control is phenomenal. But trust me the drop in power is HUGE! If ur gonna play it in stock form, u better b able to get som head speed.

Heres how I saw them on the diff. strokes:
Serves/Overheads:POWER:LM SPIN/PLACEMENT:MG
Groundies:LM
Volleys:MG
Lobs:MG
Defensive Shots (dug out shots, blocks):LM
Put Aways (short balls, sitters):LM
Angles:MG
As u can tell, the 2 stix r built 4 diff players. I liked the MG mor 4 bein steady or attackin the net, while the LM was good 4 pounding away from the baseline. Both r very nice but as i stated above, built 4 diff players.

BERDI4
04-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Anyone has the specs of the tour version of the LM radical? I want lead mine to make it similar to the tour.

specs of the tour version anyone? I guess the difference is a bit more weight in the handle.

0d1n
04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
specs of the tour version anyone? I guess the difference is a bit more weight in the handle.

325 grams unstrung
31.5 cm unstrung
63-ish flex (strung)
between 330 - 335 SW (strung).

BERDI4
04-18-2009, 12:11 PM
325 grams unstrung
31.5 cm unstrung
63-ish flex (strung)
between 330 - 335 SW (strung).

Thanks 0d1n.
Do you know how many points HL is that?

Chase
04-18-2009, 04:07 PM
6pts

10chars

Chase
04-18-2009, 04:10 PM
^sorry, i think it's 6pts strung.

tenniscool
04-18-2009, 07:18 PM
waht weight do you guys find best for the LM radical?

blubber
04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I have two LM Radical MP and one FXP Radical MP and all three are in amazing shape. The only problem I have is that I switched to Prince!

I'm curious, what stick did you switch to?

tennisfreak15347
04-18-2009, 07:43 PM
if anyone is concerned about stability for either the LM or the MG, CAPing them with full-protection prestige grommets wouldn't be a bad idea. it would definitely add some noticeable weight.

huskersak
04-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Looking to sell one of your LM Rads? jnosek@excite.com

DjordjeRosic
04-20-2009, 11:37 PM
well i just leaded up my LM Radicals to the exact same weight and balance point wieghing in at exactly 337grams, or 11.9 oz, this stick is beautiful when you lead it up, serves are F**cking ridiculous, absolutely love it.

-Djordje

cesarmo03
04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
well i just leaded up my LM Radicals to the exact same weight and balance point wieghing in at exactly 337grams, or 11.9 oz, this stick is beautiful when you lead it up, serves are F**cking ridiculous, absolutely love it.

-Djordje

how u customize it?

I wanna change from the hidrocontrol grip to the TW leather grip how much difference will i feel?

what thickness is more likely to the head replacement grip?

DjordjeRosic
04-21-2009, 10:31 AM
how u customize it?

I wanna change from the hidrocontrol grip to the TW leather grip how much difference will i feel?

what thickness is more likely to the head replacement grip?

Well the first thing you will notice after switching grips is that its going to be a bit heavier with a more headlight balance. And to your second question, i was looking to bulk up my grip from a 4 3/8ths so i got the gamma leather grip, i personally love it (but do expect some calluses to start appearing more), and i bout 1/2 inch wide lead tape, and put 5 single strips starting from the top of the butt cap. At the moment i believe that the racket is like 8 pts headlight or more. For serving.................all i have to say is wow, huge power jump (well it is nearly a 12 oz stick now) but you have to experiment bit by bit, it was my first time leading up a stick and i seemed to have done fine you just have to know what you want your end results to be roughly.

-Djordje

cesarmo03
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Well the first thing you will notice after switching grips is that its going to be a bit heavier with a more headlight balance. And to your second question, i was looking to bulk up my grip from a 4 3/8ths so i got the gamma leather grip, i personally love it (but do expect some calluses to start appearing more), and i bout 1/2 inch wide lead tape, and put 5 single strips starting from the top of the butt cap. At the moment i believe that the racket is like 8 pts headlight or more. For serving.................all i have to say is wow, huge power jump (well it is nearly a 12 oz stick now) but you have to experiment bit by bit, it was my first time leading up a stick and i seemed to have done fine you just have to know what you want your end results to be roughly.

-Djordje

thanks dude, well now gotta wait for the things i bought. and post my opinion.

ihatealleys
04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Anybody wanna share some pics of their leading jobs on the LM Radical MP?

:) - thanks

DjordjeRosic
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I would but its a huge hassle i have to use 2 computers to get it onto mine (pictures that is) =/, will anyone else like to contribute to the persons request....?

-Djordje