PDA

View Full Version : Federer press conference, you know

random guy
04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Check this out:

"Q. How do you view that match, looking back on it?
ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, I thought it was, you know, a tough match obviously.
But, no, I thought I played okay. You know, disappointing second set, I guess, you know, after playing, you know, the right way against him and then, you know, letting him back into the match. You know, it was disappointing. Maybe I didn't play my best for sure.
But it's tough against him, you know, under the circumstances, you know. And he deserves to win in the end, you know, I think because he's a helluva clay court player."

I think the mono it's making Roger kinda dyslexic. This "you knows" put Rafa's "no?" to shame. :)

Rest of the transcript:
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=49187

mrDamien
04-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Rather than you know......i know youtube you know :).

Mansewerz
04-27-2008, 08:00 PM
To be honest, this interview doesn't look legit or maybe it's just not word for word. Doesn't sound like Federer at times.

AprilFool
04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Q. Were you also tired at the end or you could have played five sets?
ROGER FEDERER: Could have played seven sets if I had to, no problem. It's a pity, best-of-three-set finals. They're over so quickly, you know.
Like I said yesterday, I don't think fitness mattered at all today 'cause, you know, what, six, seven hours on court throughout the week. Normally we do 20. So this is peanuts."

Best of three . A pity indeed..

quest01
04-27-2008, 08:56 PM
I noticed that Federer repeats a few words in every speech or press conference including "you know", "pity" and "fantastic" while Nadal likes to repeat the word "unbelievable".

dh003i
04-27-2008, 09:19 PM
They obviously have more variety in their game than their speech, you know, no? ;-)

Leublu tennis
04-28-2008, 12:07 AM
So, he is getting younger, you know.

Leublu tennis
04-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Sorry, that should have been u know, IMO.

spikyblackhair
04-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Well, as long as you can speak more than one language fluently, I can't say anything bad about your speech mannerisms.

pound cat
04-28-2008, 04:10 AM
Conversation between Federer and Sharapova:

Fed: You know, I really, you know, like being, you know, a celebrity.

Sharapova: Well, you know, I'm really, you know, tired of all, those photo shoots, and all those, you know, pesky fans, and, you know, all that money. I can hardly, you know, keep track of it.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-28-2008, 04:27 AM
English is Federer's second language, you know?

goforgold99
04-28-2008, 04:41 AM
You know what?

I don't care about that

jmsx521
04-28-2008, 04:43 AM
I noticed that Federer repeats a few words in every speech or press conference ...The engineers need to fix some glitches in Federer's processors... but other than that the machine... I mean the robot performs great, don't you think!? The Swiss engineers from Rolex are very proud of their creation.

...while Nadal likes to repeat the word "unbelievable"."Unbelievable" and "Vamos" too.

Buchhalter
04-28-2008, 04:45 AM
That has nothing to do with dyslexia, jerk.

It may have to do with the fact that german speakers oftne add words of emphasis when speaking english, for example using "ja" for empahisis instead of yes.

Josherer
04-28-2008, 04:59 AM
Interview does not sound like Fed at all.

crazylevity
04-28-2008, 05:22 AM
To the OP: Dyslexia is a READING disorder.

Salsa_Lover
04-28-2008, 05:27 AM
random_guy, how many languages aside your mother tongue can you speak fluently and without errors or english-like constructions or conversational fillers ?

samster
04-28-2008, 05:29 AM
Aphasia, you know, is what he's got.

crazylevity
04-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Aphasia, you know, is what he's got.

Aphasia is the LACK of speech. Dysphasia is what he's got, if he's got anything at all. And I would say no clinician would give a positive diagnosis.

coloskier
04-28-2008, 06:07 AM
In Switzerland you are required to learn 4 languages before you graduate. He speaks fluent French, German, English, and Spanish. I In Switzerland they speak a lot of French on the West side and German everywhere else.

ATXtennisaddict
04-28-2008, 06:11 AM
I noticed that Federer repeats a few words in every speech or press conference including "you know", "pity" and "fantastic" while Nadal likes to repeat the word "unbelievable".

and "no?"

10 char

ATXtennisaddict
04-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Conversation between Federer and Sharapova:

Fed: You know, I really, you know, like being, you know, a celebrity.

Sharapova: Well, you know, I'm really, you know, tired of all, those photo shoots, and all those, you know, pesky fans, and, you know, all that money. I can hardly, you know, keep track of it.

hahahahhahahahahhahahha gold jerry, gold!

ATXtennisaddict
04-28-2008, 06:13 AM
In Switzerland you are required to learn 4 languages before you graduate. He speaks fluent French, German, English, and Spanish. I In Switzerland they speak a lot of French on the West side and German everywhere else.

psssh, if Roger uses English to speak to the press, that means that's his primary and only language you know...

samster
04-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Aphasia is the LACK of speech. Dysphasia is what he's got, if he's got anything at all. And I would say no clinician would give a positive diagnosis.

Same difference.

The term dysphasia has been eclipsed by the modern usage of the term "aphasia" particularly in the field of speech/language pathology so as not to confuse with the swallowing disorder "dysphagia". Aphasia literally means no speech. But the speech impairment in aphasia could range from complete absence of speech to difficulty in naming a few objects.

random guy
04-28-2008, 06:22 AM
English is Federer's second language, you know?

Yeah, I know... just wanting to make a silly thread... my english is worse by a long shot. Don't want to hurt nobody feelings, you know.:)

diggler
04-28-2008, 06:27 AM
psssh, if Roger uses English to speak to the press, that means that's his primary and only language you know...

He answers in English when the questions are in English. He answers in French when the questions are in French.

I can talk dirty.

random guy
04-28-2008, 06:29 AM
To all the guys that got offended by this thread: it was only a silly joke, I love Federer. The fact that he's always so articulate was what makes this particular segment of his press conference funny. So, please, don't give me the "my mother died of dyslexia, you know" kind of arguments, you know. Let's keep it light, no?

SempreSami
04-28-2008, 06:33 AM
He's becoming David Beckham!

crazylevity
04-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Same difference.

The term dysphasia has been eclipsed by the modern usage of the term "aphasia" particularly in the field of speech/language pathology so as not to confuse with the swallowing disorder "dysphagia". Aphasia literally means no speech. But the speech impairment in aphasia could range from complete absence of speech to difficulty in naming a few objects.

I see...it might be a difference between fields though. I'm from a neuropsychology background...so to us there's a difference between lack of speech and improper speech. Difficulty in naming objects I would call dysnomia, while inability to name objects anomia, etc.

To the OP: Can't u let us medical nuts have OUR fun? :p

random guy
04-28-2008, 06:51 AM
I see...it might be a difference between fields though. I'm from a neuropsychology background...so to us there's a difference between lack of speech and improper speech. Difficulty in naming objects I would call dysnomia, while inability to name objects anomia, etc.

To the OP: Can't u let us medical nuts have OUR fun? :p

Of course, sorry to interrupt:wink:

crazylevity
04-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Seriously though, don't we all do it from time to time? I mean, if I were temporarily lost for words, or looking for the appropriate word, that's when I might use 'you know', to sort of fill the gap.

Federer might have to take a bit longer, he probably doesn't think in English, and that's why the pauses are more evident.

random guy
04-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Seriously though, don't we all do it from time to time? I mean, if I were temporarily lost for words, or looking for the appropriate word, that's when I might use 'you know', to sort of fill the gap.

Federer might have to take a bit longer, he probably doesn't think in English, and that's why the pauses are more evident.

Yeah, of course. Spoken language is full of stereotyped formulas and noise particles that has nothing to do with the meaning that you're trying to convey. And the less you got to say (or want to say), the more noise that you put into the sentence. I think also that players must be bored out of their skulls with the press conference business (with the exception of Roddick that has transform the press conference into a form of art)

The balls in your court.
04-28-2008, 08:36 AM
"Maybe I didn't play my best for sure." Roger Federer

Yet again another excuse. Yawn.

danb
04-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Check this out:

"Q. How do you view that match, looking back on it?
ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, I thought it was, you know, a tough match obviously.
But, no, I thought I played okay. You know, disappointing second set, I guess, you know, after playing, you know, the right way against him and then, you know, letting him back into the match. You know, it was disappointing. Maybe I didn't play my best for sure.
But it's tough against him, you know, under the circumstances, you know. And he deserves to win in the end, you know, I think because he's a helluva clay court player."

I think the mono it's making Roger kinda dyslexic. This "you knows" put Rafa's "no?" to shame. :)

Rest of the transcript:
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=49187

You know this you know has been there you know.

charaseac
04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Dude.. It's his second languange. And i think he answers interviews better than rafa.

Rafa is always says either "I play betteRRRR than him" when he wins and says "He play betteRRRRRR than me, it was a gRRRRReat game"

something like that

Docalex007
04-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Guys, I'm a native German speaker. The reason Fed says "you know" so often is because in German we tend to say the word "also" (very different from the English word "also", and pronounced different) as a form of emphasis to our sentences. It has the same basic meaning as "you know".

Satch
04-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Guys, I'm a native German speaker. The reason Fed says "you know" so often is because in German we tend to say the word "also" (very different from the English word "also", and pronounced different) as a form of emphasis to our sentences. It has the same basic meaning as "you know".

hm, so that's it :)