PDA

View Full Version : Fischer M Pro Number One 98 Racquets

*Gooch*
04-28-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm interested in buying a Fischer M Pro Number One 98 Light racket.
Does anyone own one or has anyone tried this racket or even the heavier version?
How do they play?
As I'm very interested in this racket.

PackardDell
04-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Light is like a radical but with higher quality

Heavy is a very big spin generating stick

fuhzball
04-28-2008, 03:11 AM
I play with the 98 SL and once ordered a UL version for doubles. I must say, and this is the first and only time I have said this about any Fischer, I didn't like it. I missed the solid feel of the SL. The UL felt hollow (I know they all are) and much less able to handle sustantial pace. Groundies came up short and serves had less pace and depth. I've stuck with the SL for about 3 years now (105 and now 98's), and have just started playing with the m comp but I still pull out the 98's when I need a pacifier. Great quality, great frame.

Peter Szucs
04-28-2008, 03:32 AM
I play with the 98 SL and once ordered a UL version for doubles. I must say, and this is the first and only time I have said this about any Fischer, I didn't like it. I missed the solid feel of the SL. The UL felt hollow (I know they all are) and much less able to handle sustantial pace. Groundies came up short and serves had less pace and depth. I've stuck with the SL for about 3 years now (105 and now 98's), and have just started playing with the m comp but I still pull out the 98's when I need a pacifier. Great quality, great frame.

Havent you noticed a significant drop in power when switching from the 105 to the 98? Strung with the same string at the same tension it was night and day for me. btw what tension do u use with the 98?

fuhzball
04-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Not really, the major difference I saw was an dramatic control improvement with the 98. I have used a poly/VS blend up until a couple of months ago and now I'm using Gosen micro 18 strung at 56 for warm weather, 52 if temps are below 65 degrees. With a fresh set of strings (anything less than a couple of weeks) the Gosen does everything the blend does, and for about $30.00 bucks less. The down side is alot more stringing.........

Peter Szucs
04-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Not really, the major difference I saw was an dramatic control improvement with the 98. I have used a poly/VS blend up until a couple of months ago and now I'm using Gosen micro 18 strung at 56 for warm weather, 52 if temps are below 65 degrees. With a fresh set of strings (anything less than a couple of weeks) the Gosen does everything the blend does, and for about $30.00 bucks less. The down side is alot more stringing.........

got you thanks. how about the m-comp... with regards to power at the same tension?

fuhzball
04-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Strung at 56 w/ the same string, the m-comp take more effort to produce the same pace (of course) but also as expected, the thing is a laser. Good spin at any swing speed, unexpected pop on serves. But you'll need to flex your muscles to hit winners from behind the baseline with this frame. I have found it great to help work on my patience. It makes you take that extra couple of shots to set up a point. Lovely buttery feel, and so nice on this old arm.

blackfrido
04-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm interested in buying a Fischer M Pro Number One 98 Light racket.
Does anyone own one or has anyone tried this racket or even the heavier version?
How do they play?
As I'm very interested in this racket.

I have one left very good condition strung with Ashaway Crossfire. It comes with original cover.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=189077

ndtennis
04-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I'v used a m pro 98 ul for 2 years now and love it. I might be going up to the SL not sure yet. But its a great racquet regardless. If i were you i would just demo the UL and SL and see whats feels better to you. they are both good.

racquetman
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I have a 9+ condition UL frame available. It is a 4 3/8 grip and strung with TF Multifeel 17 string at 54 lbs. You can contact me karl@karlconner.com for more information. I am looking for $85 for it including the shipping and Paypal.