PDA

View Full Version : Head MG Prestige MP users: Where (and how much) did you add lead?

Gee
04-28-2008, 03:42 AM
I just wondered... How did you customize your Head MG Prestige MP with lead?

I would like to know this because I tried several setups but I still am looking for the right one for me. I just want to achieve the same stability and control as the Mid version but I don't know how.

However I like the maneuverability of the Head MGPMP. It enables you to generate much racket speed at serves and topspin shots. Volleys are great as well with it so it is a nice frame for playing doubles.

The original grip I replaced with a leather grip. It plays fine to me in this way only I am not yet getting my topspin backhand dialled in because I am a little too early sometimes. What should I do? Add lead or keep this setup and get used to it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ten_nuts
04-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi Gee, and welcome to the Head lover family. Mine has totally 8g of lead tape at 3 and 9, and it's strung with Lux Timo 17g at 54 lbs. To me this is the best setup so far. If you use the leather grip, i think maybe you need around 12g. You should try Babolat lead tape cause it's very easy to take off in case you don't like it. Good games, Gee.

Gee
04-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Gee, and welcome to the Head lover family. Mine has totally 8g of lead tape at 3 and 9, and it's strung with Lux Timo 17g at 54 lbs. To me this is the best setup so far. If you use the leather grip, i think maybe you need around 12g. You should try Babolat lead tape cause it's very easy to take off in case you don't like it. Good games, Gee.

Thanks for your feedback, Ten_nuts!

If I add 12g my frame will be 361g (including leather grip). That seems a little too heavy to me. First I 'll try 6g of lead at 3 and 9 .

Japanese Maple
04-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Gee-what I have done in the past is put two 6 inch 1/2 strips cut in half, for a total of 4 strips per 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I than put the same 8 strips under the handle grip running from the butt cap up the handle on the side of the grip and not the top or bottom bevel. Play with this to see how it feels and performs, then add two more 1/2 inch strips cut in half for a total of 4 to the 3 and 9 o'clock position and balance this out in the handle. Push the envelop to see how much weight you can hanle. It will be very apparent when you have too much then simply take some off. Also, get a swing weight for your racquet to warm-up before playing to better enable you to handle the weight. After swinging the racquet with the weight, your racquet will feel much lighter to you.

Gee
05-30-2008, 04:29 AM
I added 10 grams at 3 and 9. The following are the results:

My backhands are more stable and powerful
My serve has more plow through
Volleys feel more solid and have more power.Only I didn't yet experience the increased plow through with my forehand. It seems like I don't find the sweetspot so easily as with my other strokes (backhand, service, volley). What can be the cause of this?