PDA

View Full Version : Question for RadicalTourist

AndrewD
01-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Firstly, congrats on your reviews. I've been looking for a new racquet and had the Prince Graphite Classic on the short list so it was great to finally see a full review on it.

TW said the frame was strung at the mid-range +2lbs which would make the tension roughly 60lbs. You mentioned in your review that you found the Prince Classic low on power and comfort. Do you think lowering the tension to around the 55lb mark would increase both without sacrificing control or do you feel its the sort of frame that needs higher tensions?

Also, as someone who uses an oversize frame, do you think they only suit certain types of players (im a, roughly, 4.0 all-courter without a big serve but higher rating net game, semi-w grips fore and back, who mixes top with slice and chip and charge)?

Congrats again on the review.

radical tourist
01-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi Andrew,
Thanks. I really enjoyed doing the review. Thanks much to Chris and TW for asking me to do it. I think lowering the tension toward the minimum recommended would help but could have unintended consequences, depending on how much tension your particular favorite string loses. With stiffer polyester or kevlar, it might help quite a bit. With a softer, stretchier multifilament, you might lose too much control. It's worth a string job to find out. However, my first choice would be a few grams at 2 and 10. My test Classic was around 309 swingweight. Manufacturer spec is roughly 328, I think. I felt that could make a major difference. Likewise the NXG official swingweight spec was 328, while the actual was 344, possibly accounting for both its power and my lesser ability to control that kind of mass. Nobody needs to professionally spec a specific racquet to know whether they like it or not, but my experience convinced me you won't know exactly what it is you like about a stick until you spec it. There's just too much potential variation in any given model of racquet. Oversize racquets give me more margin for error and have as much accuracy as I can use at my level. I'm now testing 2 100-inch racquets and one 95-inch racquet, and I make more errors. But the 100s give me more feeling of consistency/accuracy, if not actual accuracy. In other words, I understand why more disciplined players use them. The Graphite Classic OS is a great racquet. It could be that a 100-inch like the Classic Longbody or other 100s or 102s out there might be better for your 4.0 chipncharge/net game. Others might be the PK 5G, Babolat Pure Control Team MP, or Prince Diablo MP. Hope you will post what you learn. Good luck.

AndrewD
01-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks radical tourist,
Sorry for all the questions but, due to where I live in Australia, Im not in a position to playtest many frames at all so the info I get on the board is pretty vital in my choice of a new frame. I'd had the POG in my sights as its a proven performer and thought if I had to take a leap of faith on a frame it might be a good choice.
That swingweight discrepancy you mentioned, between the manufacturers specs and what you found when you playtested, do you know if that is something common with Prince racquets?
I have that quandry with headsize myself. A smaller head is more comfortable to me (had thought about the POG mid) but I worry when up against better players if Id be better off with the oversize. Do you feel you've outgrown the need for the larger head as your game's gotten better?

equinox
01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
That swingweight discrepancy you mentioned, between the manufacturers specs and what you found when you playtested, do you know if that is something common with Prince racquets?
I ordered two POG OS 4 3/8 grip size in december. I requested for both racquets to be the same specs. On the plastic protecting the handle of both racquets it says, unstrung 11.4oz weight and a swing weight of 307. I assume princes adherence to official specs is quite average.

It has taken me some time to adjust to the total strung weight of 12oz. Racquets plays and feels great. I'm happy. :)

AndrewD, i'd suggest DEMO the POG OS before buying one. Not every racquet is suitable. Like i found out when demo'ing volkyl c10 pro.

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Equinox,
where can you demo the POG? I haven't seen one place here in Queensland that stocks it but I am going down to Melbourne on Sunday so if you know of anywhere I can have a look while Im down there.

equinox
01-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Equinox,
where can you demo the POG? I haven't seen one place here in Queensland that stocks it but I am going down to Melbourne on Sunday so if you know of anywhere I can have a look while Im down there.
I don't know any shops selling first hand pogs in melbourne. Though i haven't looked to hard. I'd check australian trading post + **** you may find second hand pogs.

radical tourist
01-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Andrew,
I guess you'd never know any manufacturer's quality control on racquet specs unless you took a statistical sample. I'm reluctant to implicate a whole company. My knowledge of how to hit the ball improves. My ability to execute it doesn't change much. I'm usually less concerned about hitting the lines than just getting the ball back. OS racquets do everything I need them to do at my level. ;-)