PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Cancun?

jackzon
01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
We'll be going to Cancun for Presidents Week this year. Can anyone recommend a hotel with a good tennis program?

Also, in case we wind up at the wrong place, anyone know where I can play outside my hotel?

Thanks.

robkat
01-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I just had a few friends come back from a tennis vacation in Cancun. They went to the Club Med Facility there and had a great time.

devilish_duke
01-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Cancun and tennis, lucky....

equinox
01-12-2005, 06:23 AM
don't forget the girls. :)

Steve Huff
01-29-2005, 07:05 AM
We've been to Cancun twice, and are going again over Spring Break. I haven't seen much tennis there. The Cancun Palace has pretty nice courts, and I think you get a certain amount of free time if you're staying at the hotel, but the only people I saw playing were husband/wife, parent/kid or a couple of kids. Saw no serious matches.

khs_tennis
01-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I went to Cancun this past summer and we stayed at the Moon Palace hotel, part of the whole chain of Palace resorts down there. A great, great place. If you like the all-inclusive stuff, definitely pick this hotel. Although the beach there isn't the greatest, they have great pools. As far as the tennis goes, they have two hard courts and they're always open as far as I could tell. I played 7 of the 8 days we were down there without ever having to wait for a court to open up. I also think the court fee is free.

jackzon
02-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Funny you should mention it, that's the place we decided on.

I'm going with my family, but no tennis partner. Is there a tennis pro there? How's the program: lessons, clinics, etc.? If they don't have a pro, do you know of one nearby?

Thanks.

floortiger
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Hope this reply isn't too late, but we stayed at the JW Marriott this summer. The pro there rotates through a few of the hotels and I hit with him twice. He was a great kid (28+/- yo - -I am getting too old!) and drilled me and then we would play a couple of tiebreakers. He played on the european sat. circuit and now lives full time down there. I can't remember his name, but call the JW's health club and ask for his name and number.

jackzon
02-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks. I really appreciate it. We're leaving tomorrow. I haven't had much luck up to now. I'll try to call the JW before I leave, but certainly when I get there.

jackzon
02-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks again. I'll be playing with him tomorrow afternoon.

floortiger
02-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Hope you have a great time! My family is already talking about going back this summer. It has become our favorite place.

PS - Let me know what the pro's name is - - Carlos ?? I think he was from Guadalajara.

jackzon
02-27-2005, 05:45 PM
It went well. Yeah, his name is Carlos. As it worked out I hit with him the first day I was there, then I met someone at my hotel who played at my level and we played every other day I was there, so it wasn't worth it to travel all the way to the JWM and back. Thanks again.

jcalcaide
10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
If you come back to Cancun check: www.wtacun.com (World Tennis Academy)

We'll be going to Cancun for Presidents Week this year. Can anyone recommend a hotel with a good tennis program?

Also, in case we wind up at the wrong place, anyone know where I can play outside my hotel?

Thanks.

jcalcaide
11-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Jakzon

There is a new tennis academy in Cancun, preety nice high performance facility. Not near the hotel zone or beaches, is in downtown, but is worth it.
They have transportation, so they can pick you up at the hotel any day.

You can take a look at their page, contact them or reserve.

www.wtacun.com

Enjoy

crystal_clear
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Has anyone been to Club Med Resort in Cancun?

http://travelwithkids.about.com/od/allinclusives/tp/Club-Med-Resorts.htm

accidental
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Jakzon

There is a new tennis academy in Cancun, preety nice high performance facility. Not near the hotel zone or beaches, is in downtown, but is worth it.
They have transportation, so they can pick you up at the hotel any day.

You can take a look at their page, contact them or reserve.

www.wtacun.com

Enjoy

Hello,

I will be going to cancun in May next year. Does this academy provide hitting partners for a fee? I couldnt see any service like this mentioned on the website

Cheers

gavna
12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Has anyone been to Club Med Resort in Cancun?

http://travelwithkids.about.com/od/allinclusives/tp/Club-Med-Resorts.htm

Yes 4 times as a guest and i worked there as a GO in the early 80's - It went thru some major renovations a few years ago due to the hurricane and was closed for almost a year. had a reputation in the past of being a real rowdy club with lots of singles and young groups from the southern US - mainly Texas / Oklahoma....Club Med has worked hard to tone down the party aspect recently and go back to the family atmosphere it started with. Tennis is not the main focus and the courts are a good walk away from the club centre - even though the club was built back in the early 70's all has been redone due to the recent storms so all is a bit "fresher". Like all Club Meds the food is awesome -and if you are there towards the end of the season for the GO's just before they start switching to other clubs you can get the "i've been here for 5 months and cant wait to leave" attitude. But thats at any Club Med - That said its not one of my favorites - Ixtapa is much better laid out and a much prettier beach (not the water - Cancun has awesome blue water) - I guess if you have never been you have to see the ruins as well - Xumal is interesting but a long long drive thru the jungle as is Chitzen Itza which is closer - even this time of year you will sweat your but off - If you dive or snorkel its awesome - the reefs are still in good shape and water very warm and crystal clear.

10smonkey
12-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I been to cancun once a year for the past 16 years....have played at the cancun Hilton , the omni cancun and the fiesta americana condesa cancun..... I am going back for christmas...... very windy most times ....the condesa has a couple of covered semi indoor artificial grass courts that are very nice ...... there also was a challenger level men's tournament there a couple of weeks ago ..... it was played at one of the hotels ....I can't remember which one but with some research you might be able to find out.

crystal_clear
12-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Yes 4 times as a guest and i worked there as a GO in the early 80's - It went thru some major renovations a few years ago due to the hurricane and was closed for almost a year. had a reputation in the past of being a real rowdy club with lots of singles and young groups from the southern US - mainly Texas / Oklahoma....Club Med has worked hard to tone down the party aspect recently and go back to the family atmosphere it started with. Tennis is not the main focus and the courts are a good walk away from the club centre - even though the club was built back in the early 70's all has been redone due to the recent storms so all is a bit "fresher". Like all Club Meds the food is awesome -and if you are there towards the end of the season for the GO's just before they start switching to other clubs you can get the "i've been here for 5 months and cant wait to leave" attitude. But thats at any Club Med - That said its not one of my favorites - Ixtapa is much better laid out and a much prettier beach (not the water - Cancun has awesome blue water) - I guess if you have never been you have to see the ruins as well - Xumal is interesting but a long long drive thru the jungle as is Chitzen Itza which is closer - even this time of year you will sweat your but off - If you dive or snorkel its awesome - the reefs are still in good shape and water very warm and crystal clear.
Thank you so much for the detailed info.

crystal_clear
12-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Is it easy to find partners or you need to join as a group of players?

gavna
12-08-2010, 07:30 AM
For most all Club Meds you should have little problem finding players - Since Cancun is not a Tennis specific Club like Sandpiper currently or the old facility in Paradise Island it all depends on the groups week to week but since you get so many folks from Texas, Louisiana, California, Arizona...etc you tend to get a good number of players. You should have 2 to 3 pro's there and they do set up matches and mixers and small tourny's each week. In general you always get 12 to 20 players each week at a destination like Cancun - during the holidays that could jump - and of course you have the daily drills that run about 2 hrs per day every day. The general process is drills in the a.m. and then singles and doubles tourny's in the late afternoon -
And of course at this time of year you also get a large number of French and they tend to all play.

crystal_clear
12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the very helpful info. I went to Cuba last year and we needed a forth to play doubles and found nobody. Club Meds even have pro's and drills that is nice.

For most all Club Meds you should have little problem finding players - Since Cancun is not a Tennis specific Club like Sandpiper currently or the old facility in Paradise Island it all depends on the groups week to week but since you get so many folks from Texas, Louisiana, California, Arizona...etc you tend to get a good number of players. You should have 2 to 3 pro's there and they do set up matches and mixers and small tourny's each week. In general you always get 12 to 20 players each week at a destination like Cancun - during the holidays that could jump - and of course you have the daily drills that run about 2 hrs per day every day. The general process is drills in the a.m. and then singles and doubles tourny's in the late afternoon -
And of course at this time of year you also get a large number of French and they tend to all play.

Anton
11-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Booking a vacation for February 2012 and this thread comes up on top for "tennis in cancun" google search so I figured I resurrect this thread again to see if anyone else has more info or suggestions.

Originally I just raided the satellite map looking for tennis courts because hotels don't seem to want to spend any time on giving details about their tennis.

Club Med Cancun seems to have many courts ( 8 ) and website mentions tennis instruction.

Royal Islander (6 courts) (cheap, not all inclusive, 3.5 stars)

Moon Palace has 6.

Also, further south, in Riviera Maya, I see that the Iberostar hotel complex has 8 courts (3, 3 and 2)

ian2
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Booking a vacation for February 2012 and this thread comes up on top for "tennis in cancun" google search so I figured I resurrect this thread again to see if anyone else has more info or suggestions.

Originally I just raided the satellite map looking for tennis courts because hotels don't seem to want to spend any time on giving details about their tennis.

Club Med Cancun seems to have many courts ( 8 ) and website mentions tennis instruction.

Royal Islander (6 courts) (cheap, not all inclusive, 3.5 stars)

Moon Palace has 6.

Also, further south, in Riviera Maya, I see that the Iberostar hotel complex has 8 courts (3, 3 and 2)
Barcelo Maya has at least 8 courts. As of my most recent visit two years ago, the courts were well maintained and there were always people playing, but no pro or any kind of organized drills/tournaments/matchmaking. Maybe they improved their tennis program since, but nice resort regardless.

Anton
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Barcelo Maya has at least 8 courts. As of my most recent visit two years ago, the courts were well maintained and there were always people playing, but no pro or any kind of organized drills/tournaments/matchmaking. Maybe they improved their tennis program since, but nice resort regardless.

Oh yea, forgot Barcelo, great hotel at a good price, I was over there in March 2010.

Nice courts, no pro but was tough getting a partner, I mostly just hit with my wife.

There is a tournament every Friday at like 5pm, though on the particular Friday I was there it wasn't really competitive for me.

Anton
11-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I ended up booking Club Med, mostly based on the comments earlier in this thread - rooms look kinda dinky and there probably will be a lot of kids running around, but mostly very positive reviews and this is just about the only hotel with any sort of actual tennis training.

gavna
11-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Don't think you will find that many kids in Feb.....