PDA

View Full Version : Clay season is so boring

ninman
04-28-2008, 07:37 AM
I mean Nadal just wins everything, boring as hell isn't it.

random guy
04-28-2008, 07:43 AM

I like clay. The first set between Federer and Nalbandian was the most beautiful tennis I saw this year. Pity that Nalbandian drop his level after that. Also, you got to remember that not so long ago, the rest of the season was boring as hell too, because Fed was the guy that keep winning everything.

Nadal_Freak
04-28-2008, 07:48 AM
This is definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle. Fed is by far more boring to watch and the rest of the season is on hardcourts and Fed has been dominating that time of the year.

ninman
04-28-2008, 07:53 AM
This is definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle. Fed is by far more boring to watch and the rest of the season is on hardcourts and Fed has been dominating that time of the year.

Except that Federer is actually a nice person.

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 07:56 AM

Nadal is possibly even nicer and doesn't give excuses. So look for another reason outside of him beating your boy.

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 07:58 AM

I mean Fed just wins everything, 5 years in a row? Boring as hell isn't it?

ninman
04-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Nadal is possibly even nicer and doesn't give excuses. So look for another reason outside of him beating your boy.

How about wanting to win at all costs, even if it involves cheating of any kind. Anything to give him an edge.

ninman
04-28-2008, 07:59 AM
I mean Fed just wins everything, 5 years in a row? Boring as hell isn't it?

Not on clay he doesn't.

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 08:00 AM
How about wanting to win at all costs, even if it involves cheating of any kind. Anything to give him an edge.

OK, what kind of cheating? Huh? I would like to see how you're going to put your foot in your mouth on this one.

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Not on clay he doesn't.

Not on grass Nadal doesn't. So your point?

ninman
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
OK, what kind of cheating? Huh? I would like to see how you're going to put your foot in your mouth on this one.

How about time wasting, intimidation tactics, delaying the server on big points, general stalling as much as possible.

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 08:03 AM
How about time wasting, intimidation tactics, delaying the server on big points, general stalling as much as possible.

The time wasting is within the rules. What does Nadal do to intimidate outside of getting every ball back?

ninman
04-28-2008, 08:05 AM
The time wasting is within the rules. What does Nadal do to intimidate outside of getting every ball back?

Actually it's not, he regularly goes over the 20 second limit and the only reason he gets away with it is because he's the number 2 player in the world. If he was a nobody he'd be getting defaulted left, right and center.

coloskier
04-28-2008, 08:07 AM
I don't like the clay game, but I will would have to say that Nadal is a total class act, unlike Djokovic. The semi finals and finals were a joy to watch, because they weren't the normal human backboard/retriever clay matches.

Darth Nihilus
04-28-2008, 08:15 AM

OMG! :shock: ninman, you make us fans of Federer look bad and you are being a sore loser. I feel good that he got his game back again and you're complaining about Nadal doing what he does on his surface? :confused: Take it on the chin and be gracious. This kind of attitude should make you a Nole fan. :mad:

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
I guess that would make you American. Yes wanting to win at all costs is a bad thing.

As long as there's no "fake injury timeouts" or parents shouting out at you while playing. I think you're complaing about the wrong player kiddo.

Vision84
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
CLay season is boring for me just cause it is such a slow surface and the style of play that goes with it is a snoozefest to me.

rafan
04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Actually it's not, he regularly goes over the 20 second limit and the only reason he gets away with it is because he's the number 2 player in the world. If he was a nobody he'd be getting defaulted left, right and center.

Well if he does take a little bit longer then -good- it means we can see him on court longer

Pleepers
04-28-2008, 08:31 AM

Uhhh Nadal is not the only person playing. I mean yeah he will win the majority of the clay tournaments--but there are a ton of other matches that he's not playing in. So stop looking at it as who will win the tournaments, but who's playing in a particular match.

I think what really sucks is that all the tv networks show only US players, Nadal, and/or Fed. I'd like to see some more coverage of other players matches.

And I'd also like to mention that I beleive clay is the most exciting time for tennis. The points are longer, strategy more apparent, and its just cooler to see players sliding around on the dirt :)

ATXtennisaddict
04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
It IS boring that Nadal is winning everything...now i know how some ppl felt when Federer was winning everything./

ninman
04-28-2008, 08:43 AM
It IS boring that Nadal is winning everything...now i know how some ppl felt when Federer was winning everything./

It's getting to the point where we might as well not even bother having a tournament, just give Nadal the trophy.

Greenfin Beta
04-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Nadal hasn't won EVERYthing. He's only won Monte Carlo so far. Who knows what will happen this year. We've seen Federer falter, it could happen to Nadal, too.

Babb
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
If Roger knew you were his fan he'd quit tennis

ROFLMAO...

sillymonkey
04-28-2008, 09:51 AM
CLay season is boring for me just cause it is such a slow surface and the style of play that goes with it is a snoozefest to me.

Too bad you feel this way. I think clay and grass are beautiful. Organic surfaces are far more interesting. I guess you're a Roddick/Blake fan and enjoy watching big serves, ball-crushing tennis but not much else? To me, that is boring.

danb
04-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Define nice ... Fed is not nice - just cocky

Eviscerator
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM

I don't like the clay season, but Nadal is anything but boring. He always competes even when he is not playing his best tennis. So when he is down a set and a break you know he is not going to cave in and just go through the motions (which is very boring when players mentally tank).

Give the kid credit where it is due even if you are not a fan of his.

tzinc
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
What about Hardcourt/Grass when Federer USED to win everything LOL!

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 10:31 AM
The 'grass season'? Seriously?

What part of that are you misinterpreting? :-) Obviously Fed is the one winning the grass season all the time. So I guess in ninman's logic that would be boring. Oh wait. It's not Nadal winning so he doesn't find it boring.

roddick89
04-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Clay court tennis is definately not boring.

edmondsm
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Too bad they did indeed. But I've been rash on American players because of their cocky attitudes with their "sense" of entitlement whenever they step on court. I've been harsh on Joker, but with good reason. I'm sure you have been as well, if not you most likely hide under a different handle to do that in. I'll praise and bash the guys who deserve to be. Fed deserves kudos for staying alive and then going all the way to the final while guys like Joker deserved to be bashed for that "bailout", his parents should be told to shut up for future matches. But don't single me out because you have losers like ninman and grimjack who deserved to be critisized much more. I told you to don't worry about me, I ignore you and you still come after me like an obsession. I told you to leave me alone and yet here you are.

If you don't like what I say then simply add me to your ignore list or just don't respond. I'm going to continue to pounce on what I see as BS and I just tend to see a lot from you. The above post is no exception. You freely admit that you don't like Americans and you lump us all into the same category. I would be surprised if this dislike was exclusive to tennis players.

I'm really not obsessed with you. You might like to think that the reason I criticize your opinion so much is because I have some sort of personal vendetta but this isn't the case. The fact is that we are both on this site a lot and we have very different opinions. I wouldn't discourage you from throwing the criticism back at me. I'm not afraid to hear what you've got to say, and I would just be a close minded person if I ignored those who think differently then I.

stormholloway
04-28-2008, 12:50 PM
What part of that are you misinterpreting? :-) Obviously Fed is the one winning the grass season all the time. So I guess in ninman's logic that would be boring. Oh wait. It's not Nadal winning so he doesn't find it boring.

There are only two consecutive tournaments. It's not a season. You have three tournaments, two of which occur simultaneously. You can't call that a season.

It's three weeks total of grass tennis. How can you get bored with that? The clay season lasts months, with 3 masters series events. There is no masters on grass at all. All we have are Wimbledon warmup tournaments, and they happen at the same time.

edmondsm
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Just to be fair, you've got the week of Queens and Halle. Then the week of Hertogenbosch and Nottingham. Two weeks of Wimbledon and then don't forget about Newport.:)

Barca tennis
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Too bad you feel this way. I think clay and grass are beautiful. Organic surfaces are far more interesting. I guess you're a Roddick/Blake fan and enjoy watching big serves, ball-crushing tennis but not much else? To me, that is boring.

I agree sillymonkey
well said
:)

danb
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM

How did you like the past 4 years when Fed used to win everything on hard courts + grass? Wasn't that very boring?

danb
04-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Nicely put. These surfaces are easier on the body - better for the recreational player...:)

veroniquem
04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree sillymonkey
well said
:)
I agree 100%!

superstition
04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Tennis needs more grass tournaments, like it used to be.

Leelord337
04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Clay Court tennis is the best! i prefer clay court tennis over hard court. Its just so much more fun to watch. a lot more rallies, angles, etc...its just baddazz

North
04-28-2008, 02:37 PM

Agreed. It's got nothing to do with who's playing on clay. I just find it boring to watch clay court tennis - the style of play just doesn't appeal to me.

ClubHoUno
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
My view on things:

Fed is a nice person with possible the best tennis talent ever seen, and he plays some very nice tennis on all surfaces - only one guy beats him on a regular basis on clay and his name is...

Rafa, and he also seems like a very nice person with a lot of charisma and powerful expressions.

Why don't all tennis fans agree to the fact, that both these guys are great for the game of tennis :D

I love to watch RAFA on clay and I love to watch Fed on grass and hard court.......it's as simple as that ;)

CanadianChic
04-28-2008, 03:06 PM

How is it any more boring than Fed winning on every other surface? I like the speed and sliding involved with the clay personally.

KFactor27
04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
The clay court season is by far my favorite season to watch. Who cares if Nadal takes all of the titles there are still alot of great battles on clay.

Noveson
04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
I like the clay season because I like seeing Federer have a good challenge. I like both Fed and Nadal, but I normally cheer for Nadal in the case they play, I want a good rivalry.

I wish there was more grass court tourneys, grass is easy on the eyes.

stormholloway
04-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Just to be fair, you've got the week of Queens and Halle. Then the week of Hertogenbosch and Nottingham. Two weeks of Wimbledon and then don't forget about Newport.:)

Oh yes, Hertogenbosch, Nottingham, and Newport. Well the first two occur the week before Wimbledon, so nobody worth a damn plays them.

And Newport... I think they started growing soybeans on those courts.

edmondsm
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh yes, Hertogenbosch, Nottingham, and Newport. Well the first two occur the week before Wimbledon, so nobody worth a damn plays them.

And Newport... I think they started growing soybeans on those courts.

hahahaha........

xanctus
04-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Whoa, it seems many roger fans and nadal fans are quite disliking each other...
I am a big fan of roger, but like nadal's game and enthusiasm when he plays, but sorry dislike novak big time...hahahahaha

But I think, clay season is fun...I like playing in clay.

Vision84
04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Not a fan of Roddick or Blake. Neither have the head of a top 10 player. I prefer variety rather than your Nadal style of heavy topspin shots of 30ball rallys. I much prefer finesse which 'real' grass allows. I like seeing players aggressive at getting to the net, serve and volley, chip and charge etc. Sadly that doesn't exist anymore and fast hard courts or indoor carpet is the closest you can get to it. And watching Nadal and Federer play on clay is not one of my favorite matchups as all Nadal does is loop it to Federer's one handed backhand and he struggles to do much with the ball as it is so high. Yes I know I am exaggerating but this really is the plan A of Nadal on every match I have seen the 2 play on clay and I see little deviation of Nadal from it and Federer's desperateness to try to un around it and hit a forehand. Seeing so many high margin for error shots do so much damage is uninteresting to me. I like to see pace and finesse outdoing opponents not a ridiculous amount of top spin that a player can get to but not do much with. I also like seeing the classic rallys where players hit down the line, crosscourt etc. Predictability is not so enjoyable for me and Nadal is very predictable in strategy.

tennis_hand
04-29-2008, 01:05 AM
it is boring. to me, it is not because of nadal.
i just don't like watching the red ***** on the whole screen and the players run around forever.

msc886
04-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Clay season's cool but I just don't like sometimes on TV its hard to see the ball because the ball travels fast and the colour of the ball blends with the court.

ruski07
04-29-2008, 03:36 AM
err i love the claycourt season, red courts instead of the usual green or blue, you see different players emerge at roland garros and make stands on their career, more drop shot and job combinations and longer rallies...im a clay courter so i guess im biast lol

veroniquem
04-29-2008, 07:11 AM
How can it be boring to watch a player break all established records on the surface? It has to be exciting. Wondering how much more he can achieve is also pretty suspenseful. Besides, I think Nadal has much more touch and variety in his game than Vision84 would like us to believe.

Leublu tennis
04-29-2008, 07:21 AM

Clay is organic? Which organ did it come from?

babar
04-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Since Agassi retired, I have been freed from the emotional involvement in watching tennis tournaments. All I cared about was his matches and if he won or lost.

Now, I feel free to watch tennis for the fun of it and I must say that it is GREAT!! I really enjoy the Rafa-Fed dominance. The contrast in styles, the nuance of clay and grass, the pretenders knocking on the door now and then, all make for really exciting tennis! I think the clay court season is really exciting with some of the best matches of the year in Europe. Nadal-Coria, Nadal-Federer, Nalbandian-Federer, Volandri-Federer, Gasquet-Federer were all really good matches over the past few years.

I like hard court tennis as well, but the clay and grass add a level of nuance that hard courts lack for me. Just be thankful that we can watch the tennis at all, boring or not.

kalic
04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
The most interesting matches are on clay. You can always expect a break. You never be sure who will win, except if Rafa plays. And yes, Rafa's matches are boring but everything else is great.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Clay is not my favourite surface to watch, grass is, but I like the change up to different surfaces. Different styles of play are featured, highlighted, certain players do come to the forefront as the eventual winners, but its much more challenging. There are so many players who can pull off exciting wins, looking forward to more, but will be just as happy when players move onto grass and subsequently to hardcourts.

BlahDow
04-29-2008, 10:09 AM
ya it is boring i mean...there is NO tennis on tv now!...;D...but ya i like clay season...someone not named federer winning!

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Clay is organic? Which organ did it come from?

Clay is a "natural" substance, but I don't know how you could call it organic. Doesn't it have pulverized brick spread over the top of it?

LeftySpin
04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
OMG! :shock: ninman, you make us fans of Federer look bad and you are being a sore loser. I feel good that he got his game back again and you're complaining about Nadal doing what he does on his surface? :confused: Take it on the chin and be gracious. This kind of attitude should make you a Nole fan. :mad:

agreed dude, the only reason people didnt want to see clay season is because fed usually doesnt win...and honestly with the season being so compacted its not like nadal will compete in every single one...plus no one is forcing you to watch it

hewitt20
05-01-2008, 08:54 PM
It is my favorit time of the year. I think the point constrution is amazing and there is nothing better than watching those guy battle it out it is a ture test of fitness and mental toughness

ezdude1970
05-02-2008, 06:35 AM
i use to dislike clay tournaments as well, but lately i have noticed for handicaping tennis, clay is the best, you can find a lot of mismatches where higher seeded player would be favorite against some good claycourter, so if approached correctly clay court season could be a beatiful thing, having said that, i still refuse to watch a single second of it.

but the reason i dont watch because i cant see the ball on tV. nothing against clay otherwise.

danb
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
It is my favorit time of the year. I think the point constrution is amazing and there is nothing better than watching those guy battle it out it is a ture test of fitness and mental toughness

Same here ...:)

r2473
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Not as boring as work (or school) must be for you right now.