PDA

View Full Version : Are you still using your Vantage?

fuhzball
04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
For all of the guys (and gals) that ordered during the last sale, how many of you are still using the Custom Vantage you ordered?

Agent Orynge
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
If there's something wrong with the racquet then it's probably user error. After all, you chose the specs...

Seacoast Stringer
04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Continue to use and enjoy my Vantage frames. Finding the right spec and frame has certainly allowed me to focus on my game and not worry about the gear (although I still love to playtest other sticks on occassion just for fun :)). I have never been more satisfied with a racquet or racquet company.

brittboy23
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Echo the same I have found the perfect frame for me. The customer support is second to known Paul is a true breath of fresh air in the racket industry. I'll be ordering again very soon.

DrewRafter8
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Of course!

Rory G
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Yep. Been using them for almost three years and bought another at the recent sale.

MTChong
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, those poll answers aren't exactly fair. It's not that the honeymoon is over; in fact, I'd probably prefer to play the Vantage racquets I have over the Redondo's I currently use, but the reasons for my switch were twofold. First, I had elbow problems using the racquet still. Second, I broke strings way too fast -- every day or so -- which I can't afford. Polyester strings, though I love how they play, are simply not an option with my elbow problems. Thus, I've switched to the Redondo Mid with a more dense pattern for longer stringlife and a nice comfy feel.

fuhzball
04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
My elbow started hurting after switching to a Vantage frame also. I thought it was the grip size, but now I'm not sure. I really liked the frames though.

westernbaconcheeseburger
04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Not so much anymore. i had paul build my 95's as flexible as possible (he said they RA'd around 60 unstrung with 4 1/4 grips. they still feel quite a bit stiffer than my LM prestige MPs. also, I never really loved the head shape--they are rounder than I hoped they'd be. The handle size felt larger than I wanted and tried to get paul to rectify it several times and he basically offered to have me send them to florida to have the pallets changed. After several emails to get the information I basically gave up. I hit with them every once in a while, hoping that Ill love them...I just never do. I also dont care for the weight I chose. Obviously not Vantage's fault, but I hate jerkin' around with lead and all that, so they remain that way.

anyway, I have two 9+/10 95's for cheap if anyone wants them. email me for the specs if interested.

baconcheeseburger@live.com
baconcheeseburger at live dot com

furyoku_tennis
04-28-2008, 09:22 PM
lovin it. its very forgiving.

spaceman_spiff
04-29-2008, 04:53 AM
I bought two more at the same specs, and I'm getting rid of the other frames I've got.

Bgal
04-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Great frames! Good on my arm and well built racquets. No bs technology and great customer service.

McLovin
04-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Not so much anymore. i had paul build my 95's as flexible as possible (he said they RA'd around 60 unstrung with 4 1/4 grips.
So, you were able to get them a bit more flexible? Interesting, as I wanted the opposite (RA ~ 72), but didn't hear back in time to order.

I'm planning on ordering a few during the next sale. Is this an annual event? Or more frequent?

Rule26
04-29-2008, 08:19 AM
no complaints

westernbaconcheeseburger
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
McLovin, yeah, i knew that Paul had to accept "ranges or tolerances" in all spec areas from the factory, esp since the frames are most likely manufactured in China (assembled in UK by Vantage).

so, I just asked him if he could pull frames that were on the softest side of his tolerance for flex. I havent verified the specs myself, but paul called me and told me he was able to build them at 60 unstrung, which was pretty tough given my small grip size (4 1/4)...so strung, that puts them at ~58ish.

westernbaconcheeseburger
04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry McLovin', i didnt see your last couple questions...as far as i know it has been an annual sale (last 2 years for sure) and im pretty sure it was like 24hrs around mid Feb...anyone feel free to correct me if you know the exact date. Feb 15 rings a bell though.

[d]ragon
04-29-2008, 09:13 PM
ahah, racketdesign (paul) voted yes, i love it as he should

ClubHoUno
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Sold mine, although they both looked great. Just was a bit too powerful for me. I will probably order two new one next year, when there is anniversary sale with specifications that will suit me better :)
I wish Vantage would make some red PF rackets - the white looks too fragile in my view and the black too proto typeish.....

Racketdesign
04-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Now there is a good idea !

Agent Orynge
04-30-2008, 04:36 AM
I agree, a red frame with a black leather grip would look great.

Craig Carter
04-30-2008, 06:09 AM
I didn't get any Vantages at the sale but bought a used stick to my specs here on the board. Their 63 flex has done wonders for my sore shoulder and the frame is quickly becoming my favorite.

Alexio92
04-30-2008, 08:14 AM
I agree, a red frame with a black leather grip would look great.

I agree aswell :-? Another option that would look great is red with a white pu grip... :twisted:

fuhzball
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
They are making them in red. DrewRafter has at least two... They rook maaarrvelous...

gotwheels
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
I have found the Vantage frames to be a superb frame. The quality is second to none. They do not have fancy graphics, but that is not what I am looking for, just performance on the court. They do have (for me) a cool, stealthy, old school appearance. The ability to choose from many specification options is unique and allows one to tailor a frame to their liking. I currently have five frames in 95 & 100 heads and love them all.

furyoku_tennis
04-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I wonder if they'll eventually have one of each color of the rainbow. That would be interesting.

DrewRafter8
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Now there is a good idea !

Time to drop the bomb yet?

origmarm
05-01-2008, 03:14 AM
I unfortunately am no longer using mine. I still believe that this is the best racquet brand out there with one caveat, which is that you know what you are looking for exactly! I believe that I specced mine wrong as I have found them too heavy and flexible for my game. I love them to pieces just hitting but in pressure situations they are just too much for me.

So in short the answer is unfortunately no but it's entirely my fault and I would still wholeheartedly recommend them.

Agent Orynge
05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
So, I talked with the man himself today. Red frames are in the works, but they're currently only available in the most popular models. It will be a few months before more discerning players (such as myself) will be able to get their unique frames in red.

I have to say, it's not often in today's world of apathetic capitalism that you get everything you pay for. With Vantage you get an excellent product AND stellar customer service, and to me that's worth every cent. Kudos Paul, and thanks again.

McLovin
05-01-2008, 01:36 PM
So, I talked with the man himself today. Red frames are in the works, but they're currently only available in the most popular models. It will be a few months before more discerning players (such as myself) will be able to get their unique frames in red.

I have to say, it's not often in today's world of apathetic capitalism that you get everything you pay for. With Vantage you get an excellent product AND stellar customer service, and to me that's worth every red cent. Kudos Paul, and thanks again.
Sorry, just a slight edit...

DrewRafter8
05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
They are making them in red. DrewRafter has at least two... They rook maaarrvelous...

Ssssssssssshhhh, that's my secret weapon...

ufg8r
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I have never tried a vantage but I have heard about them some. Is it worth trying?

i8myshirt
05-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I would like to try a vantage too. Anyone know when the next sale is?

bagung
05-01-2008, 05:43 PM
^^^^^^^
the next sale is probably feb 2009.......??????????????

i8myshirt
05-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Ah that sucks. I guess I'll just have to wait it out. Maybe they'll have red by then =D

Agent Orynge
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I was told the sales are going to occur more often now, so you might not have to wait as long as you think.

McLovin
05-02-2008, 08:42 AM
I was told the sales are going to occur more often now, so you might not have to wait as long as you think.
Really!?!? Sweet!

Now I'll be pinging the hell out of the Vantage website as well as this one to see when it happens. I've already got my specs, I've just got to see if he can pick out the "stiffest" of the bunch:

100 sq in / 21mm
16 x 19
27 1/2"
70 RA (prefer 72)
330g / 11.7 oz, 305mm / 12pts HL
Handle Shape #2
4 - 4 1/2

MaOira
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm still usin mine. I love'em and i actually bought another one recently at full price! lol. BUT i do have to complain about one thing, i've sent an e-mail to get a status and info about swingweight through the website, Paul, and Sven (not all at the same time) and NO ONE has gotten back to me. Customer service is usually one of the BEST things about Vantage.. but i'm just a little bit frustrated at the lack of a response.

Seacoast Stringer
05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm still usin mine. I love'em and i actually bought another one recently at full price! lol. BUT i do have to complain about one thing, i've sent an e-mail to get a status and info about swingweight through the website, Paul, and Sven (not all at the same time) and NO ONE has gotten back to me. Customer service is usually one of the BEST things about Vantage.. but i'm just a little bit frustrated at the lack of a response.

I agree that it can be frustrating. I have had delays in response from Paul occassionaly and I think that things are supposed to be getting better in that regard shortly (although I feel your pain). Even with that said...I agree that Customer Service is huge with Vantage and the response from them in general is fantastic. I get the feeling that Paul works virtually around the clock and travels quite a bit too. If he could get in a position to have quick response it would be great!

John Galt
05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I have been loving the MG Prestige but continue to use my Vantage 95" at times. The frame is just soooo comfortable and nice to swing. Some day I will have to choose between these two sticks.

Agent Orynge
05-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I had some recent issues contacting the guys at Vantage as well. Paul himself finally called me up and it turns out they're expanding their operations into Florida, so they've been very busy working out the kinks in the transition.

DrewRafter8
05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Really!?!? Sweet!

Now I'll be pinging the hell out of the Vantage website as well as this one to see when it happens. I've already got my specs, I've just got to see if he can pick out the "stiffest" of the bunch:

100 sq in / 21mm
16 x 19
27 1/2"
70 RA (prefer 72)
330g / 11.7 oz, 305mm / 12pts HL
Handle Shape #2
4 - 4 1/2

Got six just like that. Except they're 63 RA and 5/8 grip. They're fantastic.

MaOira
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah Paul had just called me no more than an hour ago. Awesome guy. Faith has been renewed. lol

ClubHoUno
05-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I have been loving the MG Prestige but continue to use my Vantage 95" at times. The frame is just soooo comfortable and nice to swing. Some day I will have to choose between these two sticks.

Why not keep them both and use them when ever you feel like :D

John Galt
05-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Why not keep them both and use them when ever you feel like :D

Good point. I like both of the frames and I'd probably be pi**ed a month (or less) after a dumped one of them. I've been down THAT road before..:)

tennisinoc
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I am really trying to like my Vantage to make it my primary racket, but I just cannot get "pop/heavy ball" like my other rackets.
What I do love about it however, is the great ability to play great defense and the great feel.
I can dig up more balls than with my other rackets.
But when its time to turn on the offense, it doesn't perform.
Great counter punching / Serve & Volley racket.
But unfortunately, my game is the opposite:
Offensive Baseline Power Basher!
I am hoping that I can find a string to turn this racket around.
Any suggestions?

ohplease
05-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I am really trying to like my Vantage to make it my primary racket, but I just cannot get "pop/heavy ball" like my other rackets.
What I do love about it however, is the great ability to play great defense and the great feel.
I can dig up more balls than with my other rackets.
But when its time to turn on the offense, it doesn't perform.
Great counter punching / Serve & Volley racket.
But unfortunately, my game is the opposite:
Offensive Baseline Power Basher!
I am hoping that I can find a string to turn this racket around.
Any suggestions?

Vantages tend to run at pretty low swingweights. I ordered my pair of 100/330s at the least headlight spec and they still have a lower swingweight than my former Flexpoint Radical Tours, which already swung lightly for their weight. Mine are probably around 5-6 points headlight strung compared to the Rad Tours at 7-8. Might be worth trying maybe 6 grams of lead at 10&2.

Am I satisfied with the sticks? Totally. They don't run hot or dead, and everything feels like it should - no surprises. Really helps to quiet the inner gear demons and focus on improving.

0d1n
05-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Nope, I never switched...I just use them (it ... since I'm down to 1 now ...) occasionally. The stringer f*cked up one of them (improper mounting I guess ... anyway it's gone), and 2 rackets are not enough for my main racket ... I need 3 (at least) so I sold a second one ... and will keep the third.
Having said that ... I probably wouldn't have switched anyway ... I chose the 100 inch version and the string pattern is a bit too open for me...in order to have good control I have to string tighter than I like with multi (which also breaks too quickly in that pattern) or use poly (which I don't want to do for the sake of my elbow).
I also tried a 95 which I bought for a friend (the balance was too high for my liking ... since he chose the specs) and I found that string pattern/head size combo to be better for me ... and it was easier for me to find the sweet spot even though the head size is smaller (the distance from the sweet spot to my hand is probably closer to what I'm used to ... having mostly used 95-98's).
The string durability/control is also improved even using a multi with that head size.
Currently still using my Tour 10 gen I's ... but I might phone Vantage to see if they are willing to send 3-5 different specs of the 95 (I want to try the higher stiffness version also) for me to demo ... and choose properly this time.
There's nothing wrong with the rackets in my opinion ... I just have to make the right choice this time ;).
They are good...solid...no b*llsh1t type rackets for the serious player, and IMO if you find the right spec for you...you have it made.
Another thing I don't like is that emails remain unanswered and most of the time I call I get an answering machine ... but I guess I can live with that if the products are good quality.
Don't really want to pay full price for the customs though ... since I need 3-5 sticks in order to be happy I find that investment a bit too much since there's nothing wrong with my current sticks anyway :).
I will try to demo as many options as possible from them ... and buy lots of frames when I can get them cheaper.

morten
05-05-2008, 03:22 AM
good rackets, but lacked feel in a strange way... :( for me anyway.

Gorecki
05-05-2008, 05:56 AM
when are the sales taking place... i always wanted one but the regular price is a bit too expensive...

SteveI
05-05-2008, 07:19 AM
For all of the guys (and gals) that ordered during the last sale, how many of you are still using the Custom Vantage you ordered?

Hi,

Results as of now... 29 yes and 22 no. Hummm??? Any comments?

Steve

McGee
05-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi,

Results as of now... 29 yes and 22 no. Hummm??? Any comments?

Steve

Uhm, maybe a lot of people like their Vantages and quite a few found that it wasn't for them? Nothing too surprising.

SteveI
05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Uhm, maybe a lot of people like their Vantages and quite a few found that it wasn't for them? Nothing too surprising.

I was wondering on this site.. if that was the case with almost all frames... How long does the ave TWer play with a certain model of frame?

LafayetteHitter
05-21-2008, 01:10 PM
I really like the red frame with black leather that Paul has in his Avatar. For some of the guys who have had Vantage frames for a few years it would be great to get the same racquet we have been using but with a fresh color without having the company add some gimmick technology (like all the majors when they update)!

DrewRafter8
05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I really like the red frame with black leather that Paul has in his Avatar. For some of the guys who have had Vantage frames for a few years it would be great to get the same racquet we have been using but with a fresh color without having the company add some gimmick technology (like all the majors when they update)!

It also looks nice in a silver/gray grip!

tennisalex
05-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Can anyone tell me how much US dollars they cost? Because I was thinking about getting one, but if it's too expensive I might just buy a Babolat or something.

MaOira
05-31-2008, 07:30 AM
Can anyone tell me how much US dollars they cost? Because I was thinking about getting one, but if it's too expensive I might just buy a Babolat or something.

you can switch currency to USD on their website. Customized racquets go for $221 and prebuilts are $187

Anton
05-31-2008, 08:30 AM
If there's something wrong with the racquet then it's probably user error. After all, you chose the specs...

Sometimes 60 flex just doesn't play like 60 flex - in the case of the two 95" rackets I got they felt at least like 65 - very bouncy. I ordered them in 16x19, but clearly 18x20 is a must for them if you want to use a full swing.