PDA

View Full Version : Which company generally has the better sweetspot on their racquets

tfergus09
04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I want a racquet with a nice size sweetspot. I know people say the 03 racquets do but how are the ones that dont advertise sweetspot such as Wilson, Head, Tecnifibre, Fischer, Dunlop, Yonex and Babolat ( which i hear have nice sweetspots too)

meowmix
04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
It all depends. Some manufacturers have rackets with huge sweet spots and rackets with tiny sweet spots. Wilson has a n1 Force out there which has a MASSIVE sweet spot, and it also has a PS85, which has a tiny sweet spot.

Head created a "technology" in which the entire sweet spot was the entire string bed. I'm not sure if this "tech" is still used, but those rackets had large sweet spots.

superstition
04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
If a player hits the ball cleanly, "sweetspot" isn't very important. People used to be able to hit cleanly with standard wood (with a dense string pattern). That makes pretty much anything in the graphite era a case of a big sweetspot. I've read so many laughable reviews, like the comment from Tennis magazine that the Prince Mono had a "dime/quarter-sized" sweetspot. Give me a break.

1. Stringbed area
2. Stringbed shape (Yonex's rectangle in contrast with oval, for instance)
3. String density (gap between strings)
4. String pattern (regular or special like diagonal or MadRaq)
5. String thickness and type used
6. String tension
7. Stiffness of racquet at various points
8. Balance point of racquet (position of sweetspot on stringbed)
9. Flat or staggered strings
10. Grommet type (no grommets, big grommets, etc.)
11. Single shaft or split shaft (may affect sweetspot via twisting factor)
12. Swingweight.

Basically, every aspect of racquet design other than the grip area is relevant to the sweetspot, I suppose.

Since there's a basic dichotomy of control and power, the bigger the sweetspot the more power and less control.

Syfo-Dias
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I think Yonex generally has a larger sweetspot for their their given head size. My RDX 500 Mid, which is only 90 square inches, has a pretty big sweet spot for it's size.

superstition
04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Due to the rectangular head shape, many of Yonex's racquets have a sweetspot that is less sweet, but larger and more consistent. This makes the racquets better for volleying but not as pleasant or powerful for groundstrokes. The rectangular design is a control design more than a power design. Of course, lowering string tension is one way to make a Yonex powerful, so it's not like they're too weak to be used for groundies.

nickb
04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
The Prince O3's have the biggest sweetspots I think...the whole racket face feels like one!

Nick

tfergus09
04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
What I'll do is make a poll and let people vote

PROTENNIS63
04-28-2008, 05:33 PM
NONE! Everyone would disagreee with each other.

ndtennis
04-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I want a racquet with a nice size sweetspot. I know people say the 03 racquets do but how are the ones that dont advertise sweetspot such as Wilson, Head, Tecnifibre, Fischer, Dunlop, Yonex and Babolat ( which i hear have nice sweetspots too)

you didnt even add fischer as an option!
My write in vote: Fischer

[d]ragon
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
most princes (o3 and speedport) and yonexes (isometric) hav the biggest ones. im not sure which tend to be bigger cuz i dont like the o3 feel so i dont play with them at all

VoodooChi|d
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Prince 03's seem to overall feel like a big sweet spot but it's not quite as "sweet" as when you hit the middle of my PS 6.0...

[d]ragon
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
^^^so far i yet to find a racquet that does. PS6.0s got the best feeling when u hit the sweetspot. pair that with some nat. gut and its like heaven

counter_puncher
04-29-2008, 12:36 AM
how can prince be wining? sure they have the biggest sweetspot but they have the worst sweetspot - like a trampoline. Wilson have the "better" sweetspot.

VoodooChi|d
04-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Oops I thought it was asking about the biggest, not best...

eric892
04-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Prince have the better sweetspot but I'll vote for Babolat as I think it is the best!

RichCa
04-29-2008, 04:28 AM
I would say Yonex and Prince but don't forget about the Volkl v-engine rackets which also have a nice sweetspot.

Djokovicfan4life
04-29-2008, 05:34 AM
The Prince O3's have the biggest sweetspots I think...the whole racket face feels like one!

Nick

I agree, that thing was just TOO easy for me on groundies! No feel on the serve or at net though. No thanks.

As far as the best feeling sweet spot, Fischer M pro wins, IMO. The question said "better", after all, not larger.

TW Professor
04-29-2008, 08:07 AM

TW has a handy tool to help answer this question:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/totalperformance.html

Scroll down to the application that says "Power Comparison at 21/0". Choose whichever location you want. The program ranks every racquet all at once for power at that location. So you can see the "best" and the "biggest" at the same time.

breon1@hotmail.com
03-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Babolat, look at the way Roddick and Gonzalez hits the ball. Then it would be wilson kuz federer and sampras are obviously that good

JRstriker12
03-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Sounds like you should just buy a Big Bubba. ;)

Instead of looking at manufacturer, why not just demo rackets that you know have large sweet spots?

For example, the Wilson K6.1 has a small sweetspot, while the Wilson n1 one is one massive sweetspot.

FWIW - I think simply looking for a large sweet spot in a racket isn't going to help your racket choice too much.

TennisMD
03-01-2009, 12:46 PM
TW has a handy tool to help answer this question:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/totalperformance.html

Scroll down to the application that says "Power Comparison at 21/0". Choose whichever location you want. The program ranks every racquet all at once for power at that location. So you can see the "best" and the "biggest" at the same time.

I would strongly advise following the science, too much speculation on these boards