PDA

View Full Version : POG 90 vs 93

sunflowerhx
04-28-2008, 03:36 PM
What's the difference (apart from head size) in playability between the older POG 90 and the newer POG 93?

And which is the better overall?

Thanks.

mdjenders
04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
biggest difference is the swingweight. The Tour version must have a different weight distribution, because it swings much easier than the older ones. Tour version felt like 310 ish to me, 4 stripe felt like 330! Also.....

older ones are flexier, heavier and a tad more head light (maybe 1 point, if any). I played a 4 stripe for a while and it was 12.3oz strung, 9.5 pts HL, flex felt like 63 or so. My Tour version was 11.9oz strung, 8.8 pts HL, and stiffer, felt like at least 66.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-28-2008, 04:41 PM
This is news to me. I thought the POG Mid has always measured 93 square inches.

BkK_b0y14
04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
They are identical and are exactly the same in headsize. The 93 is just an indication of how Prince now uses a different method of measuring the headsize of frames.

sunflowerhx
04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
biggest difference is the swingweight. The Tour version must have a different weight distribution, because it swings much easier than the older ones. Tour version felt like 310 ish to me, 4 stripe felt like 330! Also.....

older ones are flexier, heavier and a tad more head light (maybe 1 point, if any). I played a 4 stripe for a while and it was 12.3oz strung, 9.5 pts HL, flex felt like 63 or so. My Tour version was 11.9oz strung, 8.8 pts HL, and stiffer, felt like at least 66.

So which version did you prefer?

mdjenders
04-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I can't handle sw over 320 for an entire match, so I chose the Tour 93 and played with it for months. However, some of the stability comes from the stiffness, and this frame is pretty harsh in the upper hoop. I got tennis elbow, so I sold the graphite, and now I have no racquets. I was using a poly/sg hybrid in the high 40s/low 50s, but am thinking I should have just tried stringing super low with natural gut, because I have never played better than I did with the Tour 93. Oh well.

jb193
04-29-2008, 06:35 AM
I have an old 4 stripe POG and a new Tour version. The 4 stripe has a swingweight close to 330 and definitely feels more solid. The newer Tour version probably has a swingweight around 310-315 and really didn't feel that solid on off center shots. I had to put 4g total (2 on each side) at 3 & 6 O'clock on my Tour version to get the frame to stay stable and now it is stable for the most part. Even with the lead, the Tour version swings a little easier than the 4 stripe version and I will say that now I like the Tour version better with its modification, to my surprise. I will note that there is better weight distribution in the handle of my Tour version than my POG 4 stripe which I think makes it swing better.

The demo I got from TW was a 4 stripe POG and had a swingweight around 310 and not only swung as easy as any racquet I had ever swung, it was stable as a rock. I can't explain it. Anyway, I wish TW sold a racquet similar to the demo because it was the best racquet I had ever played with. By the way, I have used the exact same string setup that was on the demo, my old 4 stripe version, and my Tour version, so string setup is not a variable......