PDA

View Full Version : Praise for yet another obscure frame from PRINCE!

BounceHitBounceHit
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
OK, most of you know me for my detailed reviews of the Wilson player's frames, especically the T90, n90, and K90. So what if I fell in love with an obscure frame from none other than the 'Once Owned by Benetton' company, Prince?? Could any serious Wilson-o-Phile or lover of mid-sized frames ever take me seriously again? Dare I stake my reputation (such as it is?) on what I am about to say?? Read on, and you shall see.

Today was a Monday and that means two hours of hitting w/ one my former DI female partners. She's 24 and just ran the 1/2 marathon, but you'd never know it. In short, get ready to run, hit and sweat because she is not going to get tired. ;)

Now, for the topic at hand: I was about to hand over the cache of Prince NXG Graphite Mids (347 grams, 8 pts HL, SW 330) my old pal Fabrice Leroy had sent along some time ago, when the spirit moved me to take one out of my bag and have a hit. Man am I ever glad I did!

To cut to the chase: this is a GREAT frame. It does everything well. It is stable, hits a heavy ball, and is VERY manuverable:

Serve: I served with it as well as with ANY other frame I've ever tried with the exception of the Babolat PD.

Groundstrokes: I rallied the ball deep and consistently with plenty of spin control.

Transition shots: Slice approaches 'bit' and skidded.

Volleys: Volleys had great touch, 'pop', and placement.

Returns: stable, STABLE, STABLE! Chip, flat, topspin, all just there.

Try one!

CC

samster
04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
This thing?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/NXG/NXGReview.html

Cup8489
04-28-2008, 08:03 PM
cool. it's nice to see someone appreciate it.

i swear by these frames, i have 3 that i currently use, with two brand new in the closet.

i still play with my o3 tours, but if i have a big match, i always use the nxg's. something about them just clicks with my game. :)

cghipp
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
How different are they from the TT Graphite? I'm using the TT Graphite mid now and LOVE it, but I don't see much that's similar out there for when these bite the dust.

ollinger
04-29-2008, 08:16 AM
"most of you know me for"...."my reputation"....time to go back into analysis, don't you think? It's hard to know what to make of the advice of a guy who just put about a hundred racquets up for sale and seems to swear by many of them. Have you purchased 4 of the NXG and switched to it yet?

GS
04-29-2008, 08:19 AM
I swear by the NXG MidPlus. It was once Tennis Magazine's Editors Choice Award winner. Can't figure out why it wasn't a best seller, especially with its $89 price tag. I ended up with 6 of em, for cheap.

nickb
04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
"most of you know me for"...."my reputation"....time to go back into analysis, don't you think? It's hard to know what to make of the advice of a guy who just put about a hundred racquets up for sale and seems to swear by many of them. Have you purchased 4 of the NXG and switched to it yet?

CC does use many different rackets like most people on here but from what I have read he is a VERY VERY good player...he just said its a nice racket...people are allowed to think a racket is nice and comment on it without having to switch!

Nick

christo
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Freedom of choice, friends. It's a beautiful thing. Sometimes it just feels sweet to hit with a different frame, kinda like having different cereal for breakfast, or Chardonnay instead of Pinot Noir, capeesh?

BreakPoint
04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Craig, I totally agree with your review! I demoed the Prince NXG Graphite Mid when it first came out several years ago and I loved it! I almost switched to it from the PS 6.0 95 I was using at the time. However, I had so many PS 6.0 95's stocked up at the time that I couldn't really justify also stocking up on the NXG Mid (which at the time were selling for full price). Anyway, along with the POG, this is about the only other Prince racquet that I've really liked.

fuzz nation
04-29-2008, 01:16 PM
As I endeavored into more flexible racquets a couple of years ago, this one really made the lights turn on for me. Funny how there's been a really fickle reception for this line of frames - seems like anyone with any knowledge of the NXG's either loves them or completely dismisses them as absolute crap. In my painfully extensive search for a better fitting racquet a while back, the Volkl C10 has been the only other one that I've kept in the bag.

I got familiar with the NXG mids around the same time that I found a couple of LM Prestige mids. Thought that the Head frames would be superior, but the Prince mids just kept on proving to be a more civilized alternative for me. Easy to handle for a roughly 13 oz. racquet, great for my all court style, and MAN, these things make some spectacular spin when I want it. My favorite string setup in the mid has been a 17 ga. multi at 58 lbs. I like the LaserFibre Phenom; as multi's go, it's a little more crisp than soft and rubbery.

Good find there, CC! Let us know if you have any revelations with it or come across any fantastic string options. I've never used any of the vintage Yonex frames that were both really soft and really heavy, but after using this NXG mid for a while, I think I can understand why some players miss those old Cadillacs.

baek57
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
agree its a nice frame. one of the better frames ive demoed. but still not my racquet of choice.

J011yroger
04-29-2008, 03:59 PM
CC Have you ever hit a Prince Precision Equipe?

I would think that one would really be right up your alley.

J

[d]ragon
04-29-2008, 06:16 PM
im sorry craig but i hereby deem u disreputable
jk, the nxgs werent that bad

kreative
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
interesting frame, but i didn't like the feel of the "air handle"

nickb
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Just picked up 2 of these...cant wait to use them.

Nick

Speedygonzalez
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Are these frames that good? I saw these a while ago and they were really cheap here in the Netherlands. Was tempted too buy but didnt because of the strange air handle and the negative reviews on this board.... Damn you Craig, u made me curious!

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 02:41 PM

J

Never tried it. Have you? If so, your thoughts? CC

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Are these frames that good? I saw these a while ago and they were really cheap here in the Netherlands. Was tempted too buy but didnt because of the strange air handle and the negative reviews on this board.... Damn you Craig, u made me curious!

That's what I do!! :) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 02:44 PM

No, but I am struck by the degree of emotion this seems to conjure up in you. ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Craig, I totally agree with your review! I demoed the Prince NXG Graphite Mid when it first came out several years ago and I loved it! I almost switched to it from the PS 6.0 95 I was using at the time. However, I had so many PS 6.0 95's stocked up at the time that I couldn't really justify also stocking up on the NXG Mid (which at the time were selling for full price). Anyway, along with the POG, this is about the only other Prince racquet that I've really liked.

Yes. Me too. I've tried many Prince frames over the years and found only two that 'really' suit me, namely the POG mid and this one. I liked the O3 Hybrid Tour, but wouldn't really consider it.

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 02:49 PM

BTW, I played the Wilson PS 6.0 85 for twenty years plus. I've used the n/K90 exclusively for actual match/league play for the past 18 months.

Yes, I enjoy hitting with different frames from time to time. Is that so wrong?

Finally, just for the record, my advice was simply 'Try one!'. :)

Best,

CC

J011yroger
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Never tried it. Have you? If so, your thoughts? CC

No, but it was the hot prince players frame back in my day.

J

samster
05-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I remember that Equipe was quite popular when it came out. Not quite as popular as Jo11y Ranchers but close. But if I recall correct, it was even balance...I may be wrong. Don't quote me.

J011yroger
05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I remember that Equipe was quite popular when it came out. Not quite as popular as Jo11y Ranchers but close. But if I recall correct, it was even balance...I may be wrong. Don't quote me.

I am just happy that I can now say "Back in My Day." speaking tennis wise.

J

Richie Rich
05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
found the nxg to be really flexy. you could really feel the throat/shaft bend when you hit the ball. combined with a dense string pattern the mid was just too much racquet for me.

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 05:35 PM
found the nxg to be really flexy. you could really feel the throat/shaft bend when you hit the ball. combined with a dense string pattern the mid was just too much racquet for me.

Interesting. I thought it was flexy, but nothing more than say a C10 Pro. CC

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 05:39 PM
CC does use many different rackets like most people on here but from what I have read he is a VERY VERY good player...he just said its a nice racket...people are allowed to think a racket is nice and comment on it without having to switch!

Nick

Thanks man! Yeah, I just hit it and liked it. Is this a crime? :confused: CC

BreakPoint
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree. If you want flexy, try a Donnay Pro One Int'l MP. :)

Seacoast Stringer
05-06-2008, 05:45 PM

J

The Precision Equipe was one of my favorite frames of all time. If memory serves......it was a 95", 12.3+ oz., stiff (70?), player's frame in the late 90"s maybe? It was a beast of a frame with good power but somehow managed decent control and maneuverability. I used it for about 3 years and loved it. It was their version of a Pro Staff probably. Sad day when it was discontinued because IMO they did not replace it with any similar spec frames. CC thanks for the feedback on the NXG's!

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
The Precision Equipe was one of my favorite frames of all time. If memory serves......it was a 95", 12.3+ oz., stiff (70?), player's frame in the late 90"s maybe? It was a beast of a frame with good power but somehow managed decent control and maneuverability. I used it for about 3 years and loved it. It was their version of a Pro Staff probably. Sad day when it was discontinued because IMO they did not replace it with any similar spec frames. CC thanks for the feedback on the NXG's!

My pleasure! I may have to rustle up one of these for a hit. I know my pal Geoff used to use one. Best, CC

superstition
05-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I demoed one of these (the mid, I believe) years ago and it was awful. Little power. Hard feel. Awkward. But, it had cheap string in it which can make or break a racquet.

stormholloway
05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
There's a new Prince racquet that Roman Prokes has been raving about every time I stop in there. It looks just like a Graphite. It's a kind of sparkling orange and appears to have speed ports. He loves it. Says Pat McEnroe switched to it and raves about it.

You guys ever heard of such a frame?

BreakPoint
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
There's a new Prince racquet that Roman Prokes has been raving about every time I stop in there. It looks just like a Graphite. It's a kind of sparkling orange and appears to have speed ports. He loves it. Says Pat McEnroe switched to it and raves about it.

You guys ever heard of such a frame?
Are you talking about the O3 Speedport Tour? If so, it's been out for over a year.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/big/SP03TR-1.JPG

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-SP03TR.html

GS
05-07-2008, 02:44 AM
No, McEnroe's using the new Speedport Graphite---it's got a stabilizer crossbar like the POG. It's coming out soon---unfortunately in metallic orange.....

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Are you talking about the O3 Speedport Tour? If so, it's been out for over a year.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-SP03TR.html

No. It's exactly like a Graphite. The racquet you posted has no cross bar.

Cup8489
05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
anyone know if this is coming in a 93 inch headsize?

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 09:52 AM
It looks like a mid to me. Might be 93.

Cup8489
05-07-2008, 10:10 AM
It looks like a mid to me. Might be 93.

do you have a picture of it?

05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
92" i believe the NXG Midsize

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
No. Just imagine a graphite with that orange metallic paint and speedports.

Apparently it's a really great racquet. I'm going to demo it for fun soon.

BounceHitBounceHit
05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Does this new Prince frame have the 'oval' or "Head-like" shape of the NXG mid? I think that's one of the reasons I liked the frame. I was hitting ridiculous kickers with it. :) CC

nickb
05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Just hit with my new pair of NXG Mids...wow...very flexy..tons of control and very stable...low powered but still got some decent pace and spin. Great racket for the money.

Nick

BounceHitBounceHit
05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Just hit with my new pair of NXG Mids...wow...very flexy..tons of control and very stable...low powered but still got some decent pace and spin. Great racket for the money.

Nick

Glad you enjoyed them Nick! A fun frame, yes? :) CC

nickb
05-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Glad you enjoyed them Nick! A fun frame, yes? :) CC

Cheers Craig...very fun!

I wont be switching because I love my fischers too much but the NXG is a great all-court frame. Ive never ever hit my slices so low!...great at net and on flat serves. Glad I got one for my bag...

Nick

hrstrat57
05-07-2008, 04:20 PM

J

jolly, I must admit I just recently acquired 2 Prince Precision Equipe midplus. They are freshly strung and in the bag. The 700 pl has added depth and pace to my shots, they could bump the Heads out. Serves are hard and precise with a lot of spin.

I cannot believe I never tried the Equipe before...the two I found are mint. I expect I'll break a lot of strings if I switch tho....broke one already within an hour. I'll need to scrounge up a third if I switch.

Paid about $20 each.

Which is nice.

:)

Richie Rich
05-07-2008, 04:32 PM

while maybe they had similar flex, they flexed in different spots and the c-10 was a MP. i could really rip the ball with the c-10. i had to really swing with the nxg to get the ball to do anything :lol:

Seacoast Stringer
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
......I cannot believe I never tried the Equipe before...the two I found are mint.......Paid about $20 each.....Which is nice.

:)

I hate you......;-)

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Does this new Prince frame have the 'oval' or "Head-like" shape of the NXG mid? I think that's one of the reasons I liked the frame. I was hitting ridiculous kickers with it. :) CC

It looked oval at a glance, but I've been wrong a couple times in my life.

hrstrat57
05-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I hate you......;-)

LOL, lucky puppy I yam...

Seacoast Stringer
05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
LOL, lucky puppy I yam...

I'm glad YOU'RE happy:mad:

Seriously, It astounds me that Prince dropped that frame and came up with nothing like it as a "next generation" so to speak. What a great stick...have fun with them (if you don't like them feel free to email me and I will more than gladly take them off your hands for what you paid for them...heck, I'll even throw in an additional $5 so you can make a profit, lol).

J011yroger
05-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I'll even throw in an additional $5 so you can make a profit, lol

LOL, Real sport you are!

J

BounceHitBounceHit
05-08-2008, 07:08 PM
It looked oval at a glance, but I've been wrong a couple times in my life.

Thanks! Geoff and I have a little deal about Prince frames.......if I can switch to one, there is a bonus in it for me. ;) CC

drakulie
05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey CC! Sorry to crash your thread, but have you been able to put together a review on the MG mid and Pro Supex????

Thanks!!

BounceHitBounceHit
05-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey CC! Sorry to crash your thread, but have you been able to put together a review on the MG mid and Pro Supex????

Thanks!!

Hey Drak,

I've been in the midst of hitting a bunch of the newer frames, including the MG Prestige mid. I really like the Head frame, and that Pro Supex string is great! Thanks for the tip on that one! :) Right now I am seriously considering a change to a frame with a little more 'pop' than my AK90's, and that could be the MG Prestige mid, the Prince NXG Graphite mid, or the BB 11 Mid. All are great frames in their own right.

Right now my practice is crazy busy, and I've been travellng a good bit to teach. When I return home I will try and get something up to give a more detailed accounting of my time with the frame.

Hope you are well,

CC

BreakPoint
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Right now I am seriously considering a change to a frame with a little more 'pop' than my AK90's, and that could be the MG Prestige mid, the Prince NXG Graphite mid, or the BB 11 Mid. All are great frames in their own right.

Hey Craig,

Did you forget to include the Dunlop AG100 on that list? ;)

BounceHitBounceHit
05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey Craig,

Did you forget to include the Dunlop AG100 on that list? ;)

Yes, I did. Let's formally add it now: AND the Dunlop AG 100!!! ;) CC

ThaNza
05-10-2008, 02:32 PM
No. Just imagine a graphite with that orange metallic paint and speedports.

Apparently it's a really great racquet. I'm going to demo it for fun soon.

Well, you can find the pictures here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=186209&highlight=POG+Speedport

Anybody know where to go for a demo?? :)

stormholloway
05-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Well, you can find the pictures here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=186209&highlight=POG+Speedport

Anybody know where to go for a demo?? :)

I can demo it whenever I want, but I can't really compare to any other Prince frames. I haven't hit with one since I hit with the Prince junior when I was 12.

tenniscore
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I heard that orange is not the cosmetic - that is a "test" that Prokes has - also saw a few threads that had photos of it being played by kid on USC team -including at this week's NCAA's in Tulsa...can someone at TW let us know when this is slated to come out?? - might be time for a switch

matchmaker
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I bought a used demo from TW.

I took it out for a hit after leading it up a little and one thing that stood out was the fact I have never hit better 1HBH with another frame. I felt like Kuerten.

Now, the serve was not so powerful and I still have to figure out which technique renders the best results on the FH.

Anyway, seems quite a unique frame.

Bud
02-01-2010, 08:19 PM
OK, most of you know me for my detailed reviews of the Wilson player's frames, especically the T90, n90, and K90. So what if I fell in love with an obscure frame from none other than the 'Once Owned by Benetton' company, Prince?? Could any serious Wilson-o-Phile or lover of mid-sized frames ever take me seriously again? Dare I stake my reputation (such as it is?) on what I am about to say?? Read on, and you shall see.

Today was a Monday and that means two hours of hitting w/ one my former DI female partners. She's 24 and just ran the 1/2 marathon, but you'd never know it. In short, get ready to run, hit and sweat because she is not going to get tired. ;)

Now, for the topic at hand: I was about to hand over the cache of Prince NXG Graphite Mids (347 grams, 8 pts HL, SW 330) my old pal Fabrice Leroy had sent along some time ago, when the spirit moved me to take one out of my bag and have a hit. Man am I ever glad I did!

To cut to the chase: this is a GREAT frame. It does everything well. It is stable, hits a heavy ball, and is VERY manuverable:

Serve: I served with it as well as with ANY other frame I've ever tried with the exception of the Babolat PD.

Groundstrokes: I rallied the ball deep and consistently with plenty of spin control.

Transition shots: Slice approaches 'bit' and skidded.

Volleys: Volleys had great touch, 'pop', and placement.

Returns: stable, STABLE, STABLE! Chip, flat, topspin, all just there.

Try one!

CC

The NXG mid is a fantastic frame that is very underrated (especially on these boards). It's got an unusual head shape and I think that attribute turned many people off.

matchmaker
02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Got to hit with the frame a little more today.

Definitely one of the most unique frames ever. It is incredibly plush and it is almost as if you did not feel the ball in a way, so I understand the people who complain about the lack of feel in that perspective.

OTOH, once you get used to all that (the grommetless design, the air handle). You actually come to appreciate that feedback. You often hit quite big shots without thinking so and you can play touch shots loaded with subtlety.

The whole racquet feels like a sweet spot.

Very nice frame that plays somewher in between a VE mid, a PC600 and an RD-7, if that makes sense. Truly one of a kind. I can see why some people hate it and other love it.

BounceHitBounceHit
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Definitely one of the most unique frames ever. It is incredibly plush and it is almost as if you did not feel the ball in a way, so I understand the people who complain about the lack of feel in that perspective.

OTOH, once you get used to all that (the grommetless design, the air handle). You actually come to appreciate that feedback. You often hit quite big shots without thinking so and you can play touch shots loaded with subtlety.

Very nice frame that plays somewher in between a VE mid, a PC600 and an RD-7, if that makes sense. Truly one of a kind. I can see why some people hate it and other love it.

Yep. Very cool frame. I kept all four of mine. :) BHBH

Ross K
02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Is it very different to the NXG MP in ppl's opinion?

Bud
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM

That's what I liked about it... huge sweet spot and very stable.

Is it very different to the NXG MP in ppl's opinion?

Yes... they play completely differently but the midplus is also a nice frame.