PDA

View Full Version : since the sampras racket...

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-28-2008, 07:53 PM
since the sampras racket is being somewhat design and tested by sampras do you guys think the US would get it before other countries? what are your thoughts and feel about how the racket should be if you guys could help design it?

quest01
04-28-2008, 09:30 PM
The Sampras racquet may never come out to the general public.

don_nguyen11490
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
The Sampras racquet may never come out to the general public.

Yeah, you just shoot his dreams down like that. Drink his tears, I bet they taste delicious.

quest01
04-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah, you just shoot his dreams down like that. Drink his tears, I bet they taste delicious.

Well I'm just trying to be realistic. Just because Sampras is testing a new racquet doesn't mean Wilson will ever release this to the general public. I mean if Wilson does release this racquet then I would probably give it a go.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-28-2008, 10:17 PM
kill my dreams of finding something to replace my k90 that my uncle is taking from me haha

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-28-2008, 10:17 PM
but what you say quest is very true but if it was released it would be a great money maker

crawl4
04-28-2008, 11:41 PM
its coming to Australia first :mrgreen:

the Town Sherif
05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
seriously, if Wilson is no longer releasing the PS 6.0 85 or 95 why would you think they would release the Sampras Racquet considering that he doesn't play often enough for people to see him playing with that Racquet and then choose to buy it.

It's nice to dream and all, but we still have no idea if this will be made commercially available or not...

big ted
05-01-2008, 09:42 AM
i think theyre making him a special signature stick like they did agassi..one thing i noticed, sampras never had the w stencil on his strings until the msg match with the blacked out racquet, so he must have struck some sort of deal with wilson, and with autograph racquets being popular again (agassi, roddick, williams, mcenroe, becker,..etc..) i think its possible

anirut
05-01-2008, 10:17 AM
China will get it first ... as the factory's in China. (I'm not talking about it going on sale, but where will get to see it first.)

BreakPoint
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
seriously, if Wilson is no longer releasing the PS 6.0 85 or 95 why would you think they would release the Sampras Racquet considering that he doesn't play often enough for people to see him playing with that Racquet and then choose to buy it.

It's nice to dream and all, but we still have no idea if this will be made commercially available or not...
That's exactly the reason they stopped making the PS 6.0 85 and 95. To make room for the PS 6.0 90. It would make no sense for them to burden their production lines to make 3 different versions of the PS 6.0, especially since these are now niche products which appeal only to a limited market. They stopped making the 85 and 95 in hopes that current users of these two racquets will all switch to the PS 6.0 90 when it comes out, so why cannibalize the introduction of the PS 6.0 90 by continuing to make the 85 and 95 also available?. I'm pretty sure that's their strategy.

stormholloway
05-01-2008, 11:59 AM
But this must be a limited production thing because most people want Federer's racquet. I find it odd that they're making this racquet at all, but I applaud it.

I guess it's no more different than making the Maxply McEnroe reissue, but I don't think that one sold very well.

Strings And Things
05-01-2008, 12:12 PM
But this must be a limited production thing because most people want Federer's racquet. I find it odd that they're making this racquet at all, but I applaud it.

I guess it's no more different than making the Maxply McEnroe reissue, but I don't think that one sold very well.Yeah, but they always have the Sampras fanboys ... you know? I can see what you mean by everyone wanting Fed's frame, but that's only probably just mainly the consumers of this generation.

There are the remaining loyal Sampras fans -- just take note at the Fed VS Sampras exhibition matches.

So there does seem to be a market for this speculated Pete racquet.

Strings And Things
05-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry Storm, didn't want to put words in your mouth: To be politically correct, you did not state in the previous post that "everyone" wants Fed's racquet, but rather "most" people want it.

BreakPoint
05-01-2008, 12:17 PM

I guess it's no more different than making the Maxply McEnroe reissue, but I don't think that one sold very well.
That's not necessarily true. Experienced advanced players that can play with a racquet like this want a racquet that plays and feels the best to them. Many are PS 6.0 85 users that have been clamoring for basically the same racquet but with a slightly bigger head. The PS 6.0 85 and 95 were still selling extremely well when they were still available and no pros use either of them.

And how do you know Federer won't also switch to this new racquet?

stormholloway
05-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Well that begs the question: if Federer specially designed the K90 to his needs years ago, why would he switch to what Sampras designed? It would signal to everyone that the K90 isn't truly what he wanted.

I do think there will be a market though. There are certainly more people wanted a 6.0 90 inch than there were who wanted the Maxply McEnroe or the Agassi Radical, though I think both the latter were not big sellers, even though they are considered nice frames.

the Town Sherif
05-01-2008, 12:36 PM
aside from the throat design of the K90 and let's say sampras' new racquet, can someone tell me what people are looking for in ps 6.0 90 that would not necessarily be in the k90....to me i just have a hard enough time seeing that the only cosmetic difference are the flares on the throats between the two.

stormholloway
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
You can make at least dozens of distinctly playing frames with the same mold, if not hundreds. It's all about materials and the distribution of those materials throughout the mold.

nickb
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM
That's not necessarily true. Experienced advanced players that can play with a racquet like this want a racquet that plays and feels the best to them. Many are PS 6.0 85 users that have been clamoring for basically the same racquet but with a slightly bigger head. The PS 6.0 85 and 95 were still selling extremely well when they were still available and no pros use either of them.

And how do you know Federer won't also switch to this new racquet?

How many PS85 users are there left? About 10 in the world?!

You act like there are 1000s of people using the PS 85 and that all advanced players demo loads of rackets.

I think you will find most advanced players could care less about equipment and just play.

BreakPoint
05-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Well that begs the question: if Federer specially designed the K90 to his needs years ago, why would he switch to what Sampras designed? It would signal to everyone that the K90 isn't truly what he wanted.

But Federer could continue to use his K90 but with a PS 6.0 90 Sampras paintjob over it to boost its sales, right?

stormholloway
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
True, but I think that would be a bad business move. The Sampras stick seems tailored to a niche market anyway. It seems odd for Federer, who has is own marketing power, to market a Sampras signature frame.

If it turns out to be a new "tech" racquet rather than a signature frame, he will probably get a paintjob.

I should have talked to Roman Prokes about this frame yesterday. He always seems to have the inside scoop. I'll ask him tomorrow.

BreakPoint
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
How many PS85 users are there left? About 10 in the world?!

Well, TW was still selling thousands of new PS 6.0 85 every year when they were available, and that's just TW alone. Several other retailers also had deals with Wilson and were also selling lots of them. Then there's also the resale market as there are millions of these floating around since they've been on the market for 25 years. Thus, I think it's safe to say there are more than 10 people in the world still using the PS 6.0 85.

BreakPoint
05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
True, but I think that would be a bad business move. The Sampras stick seems tailored to a niche market anyway. It seems odd for Federer, who has is own marketing power, to market a Sampras signature frame.

If it turns out to be a new "tech" racquet rather than a signature frame, he will probably get a paintjob.

But who said that it'll definitely have Sampras' signature on it? It could be just marketed as the next generation of the Tour 90. Maybe as the "X-Factor X-Six-One Tour 90?" :)

Ferrari1190
05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Well I'm just trying to be realistic.

Aren't realists really just pessimists that are in denial that they are pessimistic?

jk:)