PDA

View Full Version : Sampras VS Federer Question

Strings And Things
04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
OK, so I know that the two met three times in 07 and once in 08 (Nets Jets match).

Well, aren't they suppose to play 2 more matches, making it a total of three matched this year? (or have they already play 3 matched this year?)

Thanks in advance.

BreakPoint
04-29-2008, 12:33 AM
They are supposed to play again next in London, probably towards the end of the year.

1970CRBase
04-29-2008, 01:07 AM
I really wish Pete and Roger would Just Stop doing these things... Nothing else to say. :(

helloworld
04-29-2008, 02:43 AM
OMG, not another Sampras VS Fed thread again!! I thought we already got rid of this!!

my_forehand
04-29-2008, 02:50 AM
They are supposed to play again next in London, probably towards the end of the year.

Who were the commentators in the NetJets Showdown?

Vision84
04-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Not worth paying attention to in my opinion. The matches are only as good as Federer wants them to be and is entirely dependent on how hard he tries to win.

helloworld
04-29-2008, 04:07 AM
Not worth paying attention to in my opinion. The matches are only as good as Federer wants them to be and is entirely dependent on how hard he tries to win.

Hmm... So Federer must want to get beat down really bad in that Macau match, because he didn't even have any break point chance. The score may look nice, but Sampras clearly destroyed Federer in that match, because Sampras usually wanted only one break.

Vin2
04-29-2008, 04:12 AM
another exhibition will ruin fed's game in the pro circuit, period.

laurie
04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I really wish Pete and Roger would Just Stop doing these things... Nothing else to say. :(

A lot of people including me share that view.

zagor
04-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Yeah,me too.I'm looking forward to seeing Sampras-Nalbandian though.

wangs78
04-29-2008, 08:07 AM
I agree with those who are against anymore Sampras-Fed "showdowns". 1 or 2 were entertaining, and they've already done 4 of them. Fed needs to take his game a little more seriously and stop playing retired players. Especially not now when Nadal and Djokovic are hot on his heels.

helloworld
04-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah,me too.I'm looking forward to seeing Sampras-Nalbandian though.

I wanna see Sampras-Nadal! At Wimbledon!! Yes, now!!!

ksbh
04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Why? So Nadal can roll over Sampras in straight sets?

I wanna see Sampras-Nadal! At Wimbledon!! Yes, now!!!

helloworld
04-29-2008, 08:42 AM

You might want to take your words back if they actually play. :twisted:

edberg505
04-29-2008, 08:42 AM

I would pay some good money to see that match.

ksbh
04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
You forget .. Sampras will be 37 this year. Age plays a huge factor, especially when you're in the late 30s.

You might want to take your words back if they actually play. :twisted:

ksbh
04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Good for you. I wouldn't. The result will be a foregone conclusion.

I would pay some good money to see that match.

helloworld
04-29-2008, 09:10 AM
You forget .. Sampras will be 37 this year. Age plays a huge factor, especially when you're in the late 30s.
A second rate S&V, Robert Kendrick, took Nadal to 5 epic sets in 2005. I think we all can agree that Sampras can play better than Kendrick even at the age of 36. Nadal has never face a real S&V at Wimbledon before, so it'll be interesting to see how he will react.

ksbh
04-29-2008, 09:16 AM
That's a valid point but in any case, it ain't gonna happen. Sampras isn't coming back :)

A second rate S&V, Robert Kendrick, took Nadal to 5 epic sets in 2005. I think we all can agree that Sampras can play better than Kendrick even at the age of 36. Nadal has never face a real S&V at Wimbledon before, so it'll be interesting to see how he will react.

Strings And Things
04-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I really wish Pete and Roger would Just Stop doing these things... Nothing else to say. :(Why? Come on, it's just all good fun exhibition matches. People make money, fans are willing to pay, and it's all for fun.

Strings And Things
04-29-2008, 11:08 AM
OMG, not another Sampras VS Fed thread again!! I thought we already got rid of this!!Dude, whatever! This is a thread with a question. I was curious as to when they are going to meet again. Simple as that.

Strings And Things
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
They are supposed to play again next in London, probably towards the end of the year.Thanks Break. So are they only scheduled to play 2 matches this year?

BreakPoint
04-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Who were the commentators in the NetJets Showdown?
John McEnroe and Ted Robinson, the same two commentators that have been doing the US Open commentary on USA Network forever.

jorel
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I almost "almost" wish they wouldnt

Sampras just looks plain senior when he plays Fed.

BreakPoint
04-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks Break. So are they only scheduled to play 2 matches this year?
You're welcome! As far as I know, the London match is the only other match between them this year.

I wish they would choose Centre Court at Wimbledon as the venue but I think it'll more likely be at the Royal Albert Hall, both because of the weather in the late fall/early winter and also because they don't want to mess up the grass on Centre Court which I understand takes a full year to recover from Wimbledon to Wimbledon.

TheNatural
04-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Nadal should play Sampras in an exo. Sampras already gave Fed a serve and volley master class last year...he should just go out and practice what he learnt.

If Fed wants to get serious this year he needs to get proper hitting partners for the FO rather than spend 2 weeks hitting with a lefty junior to get ready for the FO final like he did last year. And he needs a bigger racket too if he wants to be serious.:)

I agree with those who are against anymore Sampras-Fed "showdowns". 1 or 2 were entertaining, and they've already done 4 of them. Fed needs to take his game a little more seriously and stop playing retired players. Especially not now when Nadal and Djokovic are hot on his heels.

Vision84
04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Hmm... So Federer must want to get beat down really bad in that Macau match

Yup.

I watched 2 exhibition matches and it was clear Federer was letting Sampras get games. One point when they played in madison square gardens Federer made a lot of silly errors letting Sampras win a game then the next he broke Sampras to love and made it look effortless.