PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Racquet Setup

tnez13
04-29-2008, 08:07 AM
I've been playing with the Donnay Pro One MP since Christmas and have decided I want a couple more. With three of the same racquet, what is your opinion on stringing? Same tension on all three? Lower or higher on one? Do you make considerations with summer coming up regarding tension? Thanks for any input.

Silke1c
04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
That depends on what your goals are for having multiple racquets. If it is to have a backup in case you pop a string then tension should be the same. If you are trying to fix problems that arise in you game like returns aren't going deep enough or not getting enough pop on service then you should vary string tensions. I'd advise against the latter. Changing sting type or tension from your norm to try and "help" you game usually reinforces bad habits.

fuzz nation
04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I think that three really is a magic number of frames to have. I can string two of them exactly the same, but if I want a different feel or want to experiment with another string, I can just put it into number three. Once I get nice and dialed in though, I usually stick with the same type/tension of string. If I pop a string in one frame, the other two are ready to go - no worries.

I really only consider the change of seasons as I go into late fall and winter playing outdoors in the cold. In that case, I like my syn. gut a few lbs. looser, but multifiber in a flexible racquet like this Donnay seems to stay in a forgiving mood in the lower temps. I actually used my Donnays last winter with multifiber and they stayed comfortable in the low 40's to high 30's.

Because these frames are flexible and their power is a bit moderated, I've had good success with livelier multi's in them. One came to me strung with Tecnifibre Biphase, which was a great fit for me and I also have had success with LaserFibre Phenom in one that I strung myself (both were 17 ga.). I can also say that I tried another Donnay mp strung with a 16 ga. synthetic gut, maybe Gosen, and it was especially dead for me.

baek57
04-29-2008, 03:00 PM
i'd have a least 2 the same... can use the 3rd one to try other things... or if your happy then all 3 the same.

Nitro
04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't even consider keeping two differently tensioned racquets around for regular use unless I had at least 4.

RickX
04-30-2008, 06:59 AM
That depends on what your goals are for having multiple racquets. If it is to have a backup in case you pop a string then tension should be the same. If you are trying to fix problems that arise in you game like returns aren't going deep enough or not getting enough pop on service then you should vary string tensions. I'd advise against the latter. Changing sting type or tension from your norm to try and "help" you game usually reinforces bad habits.

To be honest, I wouldn't even consider keeping two differently tensioned racquets around for regular use unless I had at least 4.

I agree. You're certainly better off making corrections to your strokes to improve your game, instead of hoping that a different tension might solve your problems on the court.