PDA

View Full Version : roger and rafa: Clay discussion

z-money
04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
OK my friend is of the belief that Federer is the better clay player and that nadal is just in his head. I told him thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard.
Will im not denying that roger may have a mental block there, I am saying that nadal is the better on clay. He is 19-1 in clay finals 6-1 against Roger in finals on clay. 4 straight monte carlo championships, 3 straight roland garros championships!

What do you think?

joeri888
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Most obvious question ever. Rafael Nadal is better on clay, doesn't mean Roger could never win against Rafael, cause Roger's second best.

PROTENNIS63
04-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Rafa is the better one.

[d]ragon
04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
rafas better on clay

LeftySpin
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
rafa has been known as the king of clay

diegaa
04-29-2008, 07:58 PM
what kinda question is this???

DarkSephiroth
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Rafael Nadal's mental toughness >

Clay is where his mental toughness shines through best.

gj011
04-29-2008, 08:17 PM
How is this even a question?

Somebody should post a poll now, who is a better hardcourt player Federer or Nadal? Although Djokovic is better than both of them on that surfce this season.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
OK my friend is of the belief that Federer is the better clay player and that nadal is just in his head. I told him thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard.
Will im not denying that roger may have a mental block there, I am saying that nadal is the better on clay. He is 19-1 in clay finals 6-1 against Roger in finals on clay. 4 straight monte carlo championships, 3 straight roland garros championships!

What do you think?

Is your friend´s name ¨ninman¨ by any chance? :-)

mrDamien
04-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Still need to discuss on this? Oh c'mon everyone knew that Nadal is already a King of Clay. Fed neither Hewitt able to take over the title from him.

flyer
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
^^^Hewitt isnt even worth a mention....who is the fool that picked Federer?

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 08:56 PM

I´d be willing to bet it´s either ninman, edmondsm, grimjack or d3hooi

mrDamien
04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Don't forget that Hewitt is still on his form of playing. He is still one of the Top Gun out there to shock and surprise everyone on court. Am i right, dude?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Don't forget that Hewitt is still on his form of playing. He is still one of the Top Gun out there to shock and surprise everyone on court. Am i right, dude?

No buddy :cry: ,

You're just deluded and holding on to his past accomplishments. Plus he hasn't been on his top form for some time now; he had a really good clay court season last year and decent US Open series summer, but nothing else. Let's not take away the many close matches he has lost over the past year, but he isn't that feared out there for the shock and awe impact on the tour anymore. It's okay though, you still have Maria Sharapova to fall back on. :oops:

bluetrain4
04-29-2008, 09:45 PM
OK my friend is of the belief that Federer is the better clay player and that nadal is just in his head.

A player's "head" is as much a part of his game as his forehand.

I can't stand when players talk about players in terms of "shotmaking" or the ever so popular "talent" and ignore work-ethic, will to win, nerves, composure, etc.

AM28143
04-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Nadal is the better clay-court tennis player. End of discussion.

-Adam :)

mrDamien
04-30-2008, 12:03 AM
No buddy :cry: ,

You're just deluded and holding on to his past accomplishments. Plus he hasn't been on his top form for some time now; he had a really good clay court season last year and decent US Open series summer, but nothing else. Let's not take away the many close matches he has lost over the past year, but he isn't that feared out there for the shock and awe impact on the tour anymore. It's okay though, you still have Maria Sharapova to fall back on. :oops:

You're trying to elude the fact that Hewitt is not in his good form comparing to last year records of play. Please bear in mind Hewitt still famous on court :). Sharapova owes the Williams sisters :twisted:.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-30-2008, 07:29 AM
You're trying to elude the fact that Hewitt is not in his good form comparing to last year records of play. Please bear in mind Hewitt still famous on court :). Sharapova owes the Williams sisters :twisted:.

Being famous on court doesnt win you many matches these days, but I will not try to take away anything else from your boy Lleyton. This time I hope you're right and he makes it back somehow. :twisted:

What exactly does the Sharapova owe the Williams sisters? :twisted:

TheNatural
04-30-2008, 08:05 AM
had your friend been drinking much?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-30-2008, 08:08 AM

He is just a passionate Hewitt supporter, that refuses to see the light. But he is a good guy though :D

ksbh
04-30-2008, 08:25 AM
LOL! I'm pretty sure dh003i is one of them. He said who wins b/w Federer and Nadal on clay depends on Federer! So pretty sure he is one of the Federer voters.

Don't know who the other is.

ksbh
04-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Well yes, the other is probably Ninman.

I´d be willing to bet it´s either ninman, edmondsm, grimjack or d3hooi

Lotto
04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I believe that even though results/titles don't prove this but that Roger and Rafa are equal on clay and that Rafa is just a mental block for Roger on clay.

Thing is folks, Roger also had what everyone called the "Grand Slam Block" where he couldn't even make the semis of a Grand Slam and once he "erased" that mental block at Wimbledon 2003 we saw what happened from there on................

ksbh
04-30-2008, 09:03 AM
So you agree that Federer is mentally weak on clay against Rafa?

I believe that even though results/titles don't prove this but that Roger and Rafa are equal on clay and that Rafa is just a mental block for Roger on clay.

Thing is folks, Roger also had what everyone called the "Grand Slam Block" where he couldn't even make the semis of a Grand Slam and once he "erased" that mental block at Wimbledon 2003 we saw what happened from there on................

Vision84
04-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Was this thread even necessary? Results speak for themselves. Absolutely no point in even discussing this.

Nadal 8-1 over Federer in the head to head on clay with 3 consecutive French Open titles, the world record for matches on clay in a row and Federer has zero French Opens.

Serpententacle
04-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Is your friend´s name ¨ninman¨ by any chance? :-)

Who would be friends with him?

veroniquem
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
I didn't know you could be the best on clay without ever winning the French Open. By those standards I will declare Nadal the best on grass!

Dilettante
04-30-2008, 09:47 AM

What do you think?

I think that saying that any other player is actually better than Nadal on clay, goes far beyond any logical reasonement.

danb
04-30-2008, 09:50 AM

What do you think?

What does your friend smoke?:)

Morrissey
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Who would be friends with him?

Hah! Thanks for the laugh. :-D That's like Fed being friends with Joker's parents.

mrDamien
05-01-2008, 08:27 AM
What exactly does the Sharapova owe the Williams sisters? :twisted:

You know i know :twisted:.

mrDamien
05-01-2008, 08:29 AM

Too much Gatorade i guess :?.

dh003i
05-01-2008, 11:19 AM
LOL! I'm pretty sure dh003i is one of them. He said who wins b/w Federer and Nadal on clay depends on Federer! So pretty sure he is one of the Federer voters.

Don't know who the other is.

Yes, I did say that, although I didn't vote on this poll. Yes, I do think Federer's best on clay is better than Nadal's best, the problem is that it's going to be a lot more difficult to Fed to produce that, than it is for Nadal. If you're talking about "best on clay", consistency counts (sorry Safin fans). So, yea, Nadal's the best now.

But yea, I watched the MC Final, and imho, if Federer stuck to his aggressive game-plan, didn't get lulled back into baseline play, he'd have beaten Nadal.

crawl4
05-02-2008, 02:14 AM
this is the stupidest post, i mean your friend is crazy but why would you post it, you already no the answer. This is coming from a federer fanatic as well

prosealster
05-02-2008, 02:48 AM
even the king himself would say nadal!!