PDA

View Full Version : Best 2HBH on ATP (currently)

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm only putting current pros on a poll since we all know Agassi would win in a rout if I put him in here. I'm excluding Safin since his whole game isn't up to par other than Davis Cup time.

Here are the choices so far:
Nalbandian
Djokovic
Nadal
Davydenko

Feel free to throw in names of worthy candidates. Later today I plan to create the poll. That should leave room for 4 or 5 others.

Nadal_Freak
04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Nalbandian and Davydenko. Ferrer as an honorable mention.

FEDEX1
04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
mardy fish is my favorite

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I was thinking of adding Ferrer anyway as his backhand is very solid, reliable, and complements his game. Fish's backhand is probably better than his forehand, so he'll have to be under consideration (doesn't hurt to humilate Federer, either). :)

Shaolin
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Nalbandian

diegaa
04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
nalbandian

gj011
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Nalbandian and Djokovic.

grules
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Nalbandian

edberg505
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
This isn't even close, Nalbandian all the way. About 3 years ago though I would have said Safin.

zagor
04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Nalbandian,no question.

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Names I'm considering to add:

Murray
Ferrer
Fish
Tsonga
Hewitt
Andreev
Baghdatis
Berdych

Although I have a feeling who'll win this one *cough*Nalbandian*cough*

gj011
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Just make the poll already :)

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Just make the poll already :)

Done (10 char).

gj011
04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks :). Voted for Djokovic since most of people will vote for Nalbandian :)

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks :). Voted for Djokovic since most of people will vote for Nalbandian :)

The joker isn't getting much love on the boards this week, so a vote for him might make his day. :)

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Someone voted other. Who exactly is this other player?

Andres
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Nalbandian and Hrbaty. Most people seem to forget about his backhand, but it's a piece of beauty!

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Nalbandian and Hrbaty. Most people seem to forget about his backhand, but it's a piece of beauty!

I never got a chance to see Hrbaty play, but I remember someone mentioning his backhand.

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Mardy Fish really stands out for me in this poll. Not because his backhand is the best, but because I would classify him as the crappiest tennis player in the poll by quite a bit (withstanding Tsonga and Murray do more with there careers). Sort of shows you what Mardy's forehand is all about.

Dwhit
04-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Hrbaty! Possibly the ugliest technical shot to have ever appeared in the game of tennis!

Nalbandian fo'sho. His tight angled crosscourt two hander is without doubt the best shot in the game at the moment..

Aabye
04-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Djokovic and Nalbandian.

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Mardy Fish really stands out for me in this poll. Not because his backhand is the best, but because I would classify him as the crappiest tennis player in the poll by quite a bit (withstanding Tsonga and Murray do more with there careers). Sort of shows you what Mardy's forehand is all about.

Fish did go through a rough patch for a while. I wouldn't say he's a crappy player, but he certainly is not the epitome of consistency either. Compared to the others on the poll, he is outclassed by them, though Tsonga and Murray have not rocked the tennis world much either. Fish's upside is very limited though (while Hewitt/Ferrero/Moya's best days are gone), so if he's going to put it together, now would be the time to do that.

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Hrbaty! Possibly the ugliest technical shot to have ever appeared in the game of tennis!

Nalbandian fo'sho. His tight angled crosscourt two hander is without doubt the best shot in the game at the moment..

Don't forget Nalby's surprise down-the-line backhand. Absolutely freezes the opponent.

Borg, Wilander, and Courier didn't have the most graceful of backhands either, but those guys won a combined 22 slams with it.

Djokovicfan4life
04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
As much as I love Djokovic, I have to go with Nalbandian. His two-hander is unmatched. :)

soyizgood
04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Talk about owning a poll. WOW!

spiritdragon
04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
how can u not include safin? his backhand is still deadly and i think its the best on tour.

PascalMariaFan
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Nalbandian's is a far more effective shot than Agassi's.
Agassi would go cross court with it almost every time, Nalbandian can do absolutely anything he wants, always getting himself on the offensive.

jmsx521
04-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I never got a chance to see Hrbaty play, but I remember someone mentioning his backhand.Every year I go to watch Miami, I look for Hrbaty on the practice courts, not Federer and Nadal.

Shaolin
04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
how can u not include safin? his backhand is still deadly and i think its the best on tour.

His backhand is probably the best or second best in the world when hes playing really well.

The problem is for Safin thats like 2 weeks per year.

stormholloway
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Nalbandian's is a far more effective shot than Agassi's.
Agassi would go cross court with it almost every time, Nalbandian can do absolutely anything he wants, always getting himself on the offensive.

I don't recall Agassi having any problem going up the line. If you're questioning Agassi's strategy, I'd say the results speak for themselves.

I put Djokovic simply based on results. He has the bigger titles out of the two handers.

PascalMariaFan
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't recall Agassi having any problem going up the line. If you're questioning Agassi's strategy, I'd say the results speak for themselves.

I put Djokovic simply based on results. He has the bigger titles out of the two handers.Agassi would rarely take it up the line because that allows his opponent to take their forehand cross court, and we all know how poor Agassi's movement to the forehand was.

Agassi was a human wall at cross court backhand rallies, and his only strategy was to break down the opponent's backhand. The end.

Agassi's superiorities over Nalbandian don't lie in the technical side, but the mental.

serve/and/volley
04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Here is Federer's opinion from the May 2008 issue of Inside Tennis:
- http://www.insidetennis.com/0508_federer.html

IT: Speaking of other players, let me go through some strokes and off the top of your head, tell me the player who has the best stuff out there. Let’s start with the forehand.
RF: I’d have to go with Rafa [Nadal], Fernando Gonzalez or James Blake. Those are the guys with bigger forehands.
IT: First serve?
RF: You’ve got to go with Andy [Roddick] or [Ivo] Karlovic.
IT: Backhand?
RF:[David] Nalbandian.
IT: Volley?
RF: They’re not so many around anymore, unfortunately.
IT: Unfortunately, really?
RF: Fortunately.
IT: You saw a few pretty good volleys the other night from Pete in Madison Square Garden.
RF: Yeah. He would be No. 1 if he were still playing.

PascalMariaFan
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
I put Djokovic simply based on results. He has the bigger titles out of the two handers.Wrong, and you know it.
for one thing, Nalbandian's 2 TMS+TMC trumps Djokovic's 3 TMS.
Secondly, Nalbandian can account for the majority of his success to his backhand. Djokovic on the other hand, can fall back on a number of things even when his backhand is misfiring.

Saying that Djokovic's backhand is the best shot because he has "the bigger titles" is like saying that Roddick has great volleys because he's won a grand slam.

PascalMariaFan
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
IT: Backhand?
RF:[David] Nalbandian.end of discussion.

serve/and/volley
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
end of discussion.

Yup. Case closed.

my_forehand
04-30-2008, 02:22 AM
No doubt Nalbandian.

joeri888
04-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Nalbandian without a doubt.

zagor
04-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Even Federer said Nalbandian,so no contest really.

Andres
04-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Wrong, and you know it.
Secondly, Nalbandian can account for the majority of his success to his backhand. Djokovic on the other hand, can fall back on a number of things even when his backhand is misfiring.

Saying that Djokovic's backhand is the best shot because he has "the bigger titles" is like saying that Roddick has great volleys because he's won a grand slam.
Don't you think Djokovic's 3 TMS+ AO trumps Nalbandian's 2 TMS+TMC?

danb
04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
I'll go on a limb to say Joker - he is #3 so his backend must be solid.

serve/and/volley
04-30-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll go on a limb to say Joker - he is #3 so his backend must be solid.

Roddick is ranked higher than Nalbandian, therefore his backhand must be better.

stormholloway
04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Wrong, and you know it.

What a ridiculous post. You're implying that I don't believe in my own selection?

First of all, the topic is who currently has the best two hander. Nalbandian doesn't have any significant titles under his belt this year. Secondly, why are you simply comparing only Masters titles, and why not mention that Nalbandian's Masters Cup title came two seasons ago? We're talking current. You also seem to glaze over Djokovic's slam title. How far did Nalbandian do at the Australian? He lost in straights in the 3rd round.

You're also implying that because Djokovic has a better all around game that he should be penalized for it, and that Nalbandian, since people really only talk about his backhand, should be glorified for it.

Roddick didn't win his slam by volleying did he? If I were to pick the best serve and forehand of 2003, Roddick would be at the top of my list for both.

Djokovic routinely dominated play with his backhand en route to his Aussie title. His ground game is what won him his titles this year.

So no, you're analogy is stupid. Next.

Djokovicfan4life
04-30-2008, 09:33 AM
PMF is a troll, Stormholloway, just do a search for the Roddick thread that was posted a while back. Best to leave the attention *****s alone. He's not looking for an intelligent argument.

Edit: Just found the thread right here actually: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=191824.

stormholloway
04-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Even Federer said Nalbandian,so no contest really.

Seems a bit biased considering Nalbandian, relatively speaking, has his number. He's not going to pick Nadal because his backhand plays into Federer's strength, and he won't pick Djokovic because his losses to him haven't occurred while Federer is in top form.

But the bottom line is that Djokovic has Indian Wells and Australia under his belt. If his backhand is so amazing then he shouldn't have fallen to Ferrero in straight sets at Australia. It's a technically great backhand with good results in the past but it hasn't done all that much for him this year.

stormholloway
04-30-2008, 09:39 AM
PMF is a troll, Stormholloway, just do a search for the Roddick thread that was posted a while back. Best to leave the attention *****s alone. He's not looking for an intelligent argument.

Edit: Just found the thread right here actually: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=191824.

I see. Well, I certainly don't criticize the selection of Nalbandian, but I like results. Djokovic has them.

roddick89
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I've always thought nadals is awesome

deme08
04-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Seems a bit biased considering Nalbandian, relatively speaking, has his number. He's not going to pick Nadal because his backhand plays into Federer's strength, and he won't pick Djokovic because his losses to him haven't occurred while Federer is in top form.

But the bottom line is that Djokovic has Indian Wells and Australia under his belt. If his backhand is so amazing then he shouldn't have fallen to Ferrero in straight sets at Australia. It's a technically great backhand with good results in the past but it hasn't done all that much for him this year.

Either way Nalbandian's backhand has earned the praise from Federer, it is one of the biggest weapons that Federer actually feared. Another would be Nadal's top spin forehand on clay.

hewitt20
05-01-2008, 07:49 PM
They are not in the leauge of daveydenko or bandy but I would put ancic and tomas berydech

willgonase10
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Nalbandian gets my vote.

I hate Tsonga, just a cocky kid who thinks he has 20 grandslams and is ranked number one. His backhand isn't that great.

Tempest344
05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
^
its not too bad
very steady backhand

matchmaker
05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Nalby, Nalby, Nalby,

The really good double handed backhands are the ones that seem a natural movement, e.g. Agassi. It just flows as if it were meant to be hit that way.

Doublehanded backhands of lesser quality always seem to have a lack of timing and coordination in them or are not really hit through the ball but rather block it.

A good 2HBH is as much a piece of art as an elegant 1HBH. Sadly many players without a real backhand opt for a 2 hander and that is then the image people have from it.

soyizgood
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I voted Nalbandian, but I was considering voting for Davydenko. Davydenko has such a clean, solid backhand and has better results on the tour than Nalbandian. Like Nalbandian, Davydenko relies on his backhand (maybe not as much) to carry him deep in tournaments.

Nadal gets many of his backhand winners in open stance which kind of amazes and irks me. It works for him, but it seems many of those backhand winners comes from him just arming the ball.

Djokovic's backhand might actually still be better than his forehand. I know he's been focusing on improving the forehand, but if he can keep up his backhand it might end up as the best on tour in a few years.

stormholloway
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Either way Nalbandian's backhand has earned the praise from Federer, it is one of the biggest weapons that Federer actually feared. Another would be Nadal's top spin forehand on clay.

Well, Djokovic's seemed to handle Federer pretty well at the Australian.

I'm not a Djokovic super fan, but I think his results speak for themselves. I like Nalbandian's overall more, but we're talking "best, currently". I think that nod goes to the man with the big titles.

SCSI
05-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Actually, Ferrer doesn't count because he hits forehand on both wings.

soyizgood
05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Actually, Ferrer doesn't count because he hits forehand on both wings.

Ferrer does run around his backhand quite a bit. Still his backhand is quite reliable and rarely breaks down. He's used to slow surfaces, but he's done fairly well of late on hard courts too.

dh003i
05-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Nadal's for sure on clay.

Nalbandian's on everything else.

ufg8r
05-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I love the way Djokovic hits his bh.

soyizgood
05-03-2008, 12:21 PM
They are not in the leauge of daveydenko or bandy but I would put ancic and tomas berydech

I was considering adding Berdych, but he just didn't make the cut. Ancic needs to stay healthy and move up the ranking before he makes the cut.

adamvann
05-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I won't say best, but I like Berdych and Juan Monaco's 2H's. Also Nalbandian, for his CC BH, which obviously has been mentioned here and Safin's DTL BH. I've been able to see all of them play multiple times.

Ocean Drive
05-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I never got a chance to see Hrbaty play, but I remember someone mentioning his backhand.

You have never seen Hrbaty play? :shock:

soyizgood
05-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Unless a player's going deep at majors, I (poor guy with no cable) can't watch. I'll look him up on youtube and take a peek.

Babb
05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Nalbandian by a landslide.

FlamEnemY
05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmmm... A tie between Djokovic and Nalbandian. But I won't vote :)

superman1
05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm surprised Murray has so few votes. Agassi was marveling at his backhand when they went out for a hit. I've seen him live and marveled at his backhand. I think it is better than Djokovic's. But the answer is definitely Nalbandian.

Andres
05-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Beauuuuutiful backhand :)

superman1
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Agassi would rarely take it up the line because that allows his opponent to take their forehand cross court, and we all know how poor Agassi's movement to the forehand was.

Agassi was a human wall at cross court backhand rallies, and his only strategy was to break down the opponent's backhand. The end.

Agassi's superiorities over Nalbandian don't lie in the technical side, but the mental.

1. You talk as if Agassi was always 35. Did you see him when he was 25?

2. Agassi could do whatever he wanted with the backhand. Going crosscourt aggressively was the smartest play. And his opponents always knew that he could pull it up the line at any moment, so they were never sure where he was going to hit it. As a result, they were completely on the defense. A guy like Nalbandian also has an unpredictable backhand, but it's not a cannon like Agassi's.

3. Agassi was technically superior to Nalbandian in all shots. You speak as if Agassi was a mental giant, when clearly he had his share of brain farts and went through much of his career on talent alone.

soyizgood
05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
1. You talk as if Agassi was always 35. Did you see him when he was 25?

2. Agassi could do whatever he wanted with the backhand. Going crosscourt aggressively was the smartest play. And his opponents always knew that he could pull it up the line at any moment, so they were never sure where he was going to hit it. As a result, they were completely on the defense. A guy like Nalbandian also has an unpredictable backhand, but it's not a cannon like Agassi's.

3. Agassi was technically superior to Nalbandian in all shots. You speak as if Agassi was a mental giant, when clearly he had his share of brain farts and went through much of his career on talent alone.

You should dig up the 2000 AO final match between Agassi and Kafelnikov. Beautiful, effective backhands from both guys. A real clinic on how to hit two-handed backhands.

random guy
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm going with the unpredictable pick and choose Nalbandian.:)

stormholloway
05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
So much for Nalbandian's two hander. He just got schooled in Rome.

Djokovic however...

soyizgood
05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
So much for Nalbandian's two hander. He just got schooled in Rome.

Djokovic however...

This is exactly what frustrates people when it comes to Nalbandian. He NEVER puts it together for a full year. In this case, Almagro is a very good clay court player. But Nalbandian grew up on clay as well. Nalbandian seems content to coast through the year and then maybe turn it up a notch near the end.

He needs to get in better shape and maintain focus. That backhand is too good to not be put to optimal use. The same can be said for Gasquet, but at least Nalbandian has a much better forehand.

lovecr717
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
As much as i love the joker, I've voted davydenko...

soyizgood
05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Going by the votes:
1. Nalbandian
2. Djokovic
3. Nadal
4. Davydenko
5. Murray
6. Tsonga, Fish
8. Hewitt
9. Ferrer

More votes for other than for Murray, so it looks like the top 4 are heads and shoulders above their peers.

flyer
05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Nalby's anything is just to inconsistent to considered the best over all, it might be the most scary when its one, but thats only for a couple weeks here and there through out the year, overall Djokovic's is consistently better

stormholloway
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
And it's shown once again in Rome. Wawrinka has a stellar backhand but Djokovic was changing direction at will. And I don't think most are factoring in Djokovic's stellar drop shot.

soyizgood
05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Here's a 2HBH video I put together. This might help those that are undecided. Rise of the 2HBH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdlep5PkJ9Q)

soyizgood
05-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Nalbandian, Gasquet, and Murray need to pool their resources and find a tennis shrink. I can't believe how night and day Nalbandian is. Gasquet and Murray are on the verge of burning out from all the national pressure on them as well.

pow
05-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Wrong, and you know it.

You forgot to count Djokovic's biggest result, The AO! That alone tips the scales in Djoker's favor by far.

tennis08tarheels
05-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Paul-Henri Mathieu. Not a big fan of two-handers, though.

soyizgood
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Ferrer put a BEATDOWN on Santoro! I feel sorry for Santoro since he's probably retiring from single's this year, but to get railed like that on your home slam. :(

ryangoring
06-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Nalbadian!! for sure check this out!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5YOyZlwMpM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5YOyZlwMpM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ryangoring
06-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Oops!
here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5YOyZlwMpM

deme08
06-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Gu7jnbMQ8&feature=related Nalby backhands in slow motion!

Teyko
06-02-2008, 04:36 AM
I think Nabaldian has a very penetrating backhand, but Djokovic's moves his opponents around so much that it is difficult not to give it the edge.

Gemini
06-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Nalbandian.

ndtennis
06-02-2008, 06:03 AM
i like davydanko and Djokovic