PDA

View Full Version : Will Hewitt make another Grand Slam semi?

BigT
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
As much as I like him, I just don't see it happening.

spikyblackhair
04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
If he puts a lot of work in off the court like Agassi did, he might.

CanadianChic
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I honestly don't see this happening for him. It's easy to reflect on the hypothesis that it may be possible if it's an unloaded draw, but realistically, his time has passed.

[d]ragon
04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
i doubt it

disclaimer: not a hewitt hater ahah

quest01
04-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I think it's possible he could make it to the semi's of a grand slam but the chances are slim. His game relies to much on defense and he doesn't have the firepower off the ground to really hurt anyone anymore like he used to when the courts were faster circa 2004 and earlier.

LeftySpin
04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
i mean its possible, but he really has to put a lot of extra time. even then i still think he will have trouble, his time is passing

lambielspins
04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Crazier things have happened. Draws have opened up in wierd ways that players worse then Hewitt is now have made it. However it is very unlikely he mades a slam semi again.

He might well never make a slam quarter again. I wouldnt be so bold to say I think that with as much conviction but it is something I would consider all the same.

flyer
04-29-2008, 07:42 PM
no there is absolutely no way, he gets worse everyday and is playing like its next year, I wonder where all the Hewitt fans are that predicted he would be in the top 10 by the end of the year are now?

mrDamien
04-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Hewitt in my supporting list.

Tempest344
04-29-2008, 11:28 PM
no there is absolutely no way, he gets worse everyday and is playing like its next year, I wonder where all the Hewitt fans are that predicted he would be in the top 10 by the end of the year are now?

well I'm right here obviously

I swear you have a vendetta against Hewitt

mrDamien
04-30-2008, 12:14 AM

I am 10000000000% pure fanatic Hewitt supporters. Sooner or later he is going to climb the ladder to top 10.

zagor
04-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Maybe if the draw opens although I honestly don't see that happening.His time has obviously passed.

illkhiboy
04-30-2008, 04:14 AM
It's not such a crazy idea if you think about it. On the one hand, one gets the feeling the game has passed him by. On the other, Hewitt beat Davydenko in last year's clay season. He also gave Nadal a fright at the same tournament at Hamburg. At Wimbledon, he had a hard fought battle against Djokovic before going out in four sets I think. Later in the season, he played an excellent match against Federer in Canada though the scoreline showed a routine victory for the world's best. Watching that match, I felt like Hewitt was playing the best tennis of his life.
The next tournament he stretched Federer to a third-set breaker. I didn't see this match and I 'm not sure if the quality measured up to the Montreal match. However, he clearly still could play.
So it was pretty shocking when he went down to Calleri at the US Open, especially if you consider the fact that he hadn't lost before the quarters at the US Open since 1999. Can anybody shed some light on this match?
I don't remember his fall. I think he got injured, didn't he?
At the Australian, the courts looked too slow for him to do any damage. I think he was somewhat lucky against Baghdatis. However, he still displayed a lot of heart.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hewitt comes back strong this year. He won't get to the top 5, but top 10 is attainable. Though top 15 is more likely.

flyer
04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
well I'm right here obviously

I swear you have a vendetta against Hewitt

no your not right, obviously you are wrong(as shown by Hewitts results), your all a bunch of delusional, from a certain no named country idiots, HEWITT SUCKS, everybody knows it except for your guys, i dont have a vendetta against Hewitt I have a vendetta against you guys and how dumb you are because its annoying, Hewitt hasnt mattered for years

illkhiboy
04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
no your not right, obviously you are wrong(as shown by Hewitts results), your all a bunch of delusional, from a certain no named country idiots, HEWITT SUCKS, everybody knows it except for your guys, i dont have a vendetta against Hewitt I have a vendetta against you guys and how dumb you are because its annoying, Hewitt hasnt mattered for years

It's not such a crazy idea if you think about it. On the one hand, one gets the feeling the game has passed him by. On the other, Hewitt beat Davydenko in last year's clay season. He also gave Nadal a fright at the same tournament at Hamburg. At Wimbledon, he had a hard fought battle against Djokovic before going out in four sets I think. Later in the season, he played an excellent match against Federer in Canada though the scoreline showed a routine victory for the world's best. Watching that match, I felt like Hewitt was playing the best tennis of his life.
The next tournament he stretched Federer to a third-set breaker. I didn't see this match and I 'm not sure if the quality measured up to the Montreal match. However, he clearly still could play.
So it was pretty shocking when he went down to Calleri at the US Open, especially if you consider the fact that he hadn't lost before the quarters at the US Open since 1999. Can anybody shed some light on this match?
At the Australian, the courts looked too slow for him to do any damage. I think he was somewhat lucky against Baghdatis. However, he still displayed a lot of heart.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hewitt comes back strong this year. He won't get to the top 5, but top 10 is attainable. Though top 15 is more likely.

Feel a little stupid?

flyer
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Feel a little stupid?

No I dont feel at all stupid, all the matches you mentioned were almost a year ago and hes been getting worse everyday for the past 3 years, although you try and draw positives from them he still lost all but one of them and hes worse now than he was then.....if your so confident he will be in the top 10 again though I'll bet my house vs. your house on it, 100% serious and that goes for anyone of you Hewitt fanboy idiots.

Moose Malloy
04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Hewitt is clearly(at least) one of the 10 best players in the world on grass.

If he gets a good draw(& would anyone of you really count him out if he plays Nadal in like the 3rd or 4th round of W this year?) he can certainly make another SF there.

Great grasscourters always seem to be capable of going on runs at W, no matter how past their prime they are(Becker, Krajicek, Goran, Philippoussis for examples)

illkhiboy
04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Hewitt is clearly(at least) one of the 10 best players in the world on grass.

If he gets a good draw(& would anyone of you really count him out if he plays Nadal in like the 3rd or 4th round of W this year?) he can certainly make another SF there.

Great grasscourters always seem to be capable of going on runs at W, no matter how past their prime they are(Becker, Krajicek, Goran, Philippoussis for examples)

Hmm I don't know about that. He's definitely a good grasscourter still. But Phillipoussis, Goran, Krajicek and Becker all had big serves. Hewitt not only does not have that but he also plays a grinding style of game which is liable to be overpowered any given day by the likes of Tsonga/Youzhny.

Hewitt has a lot of heart, and that alone means he can take advantage of any openings that come his way. E.g., Baghdatis twisting his ankle at the Australian Open.

Btw, statistically the US Open has been Hewitt's best slam. I was pretty surprised he went out to Calleri last year.

illkhiboy
04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
No I dont feel at all stupid, all the matches you mentioned were almost a year ago and hes been getting worse everyday for the past 3 years, although you try and draw positives from them he still lost all but one of them and hes worse now than he was then.....if your so confident he will be in the top 10 again though I'll bet my house vs. your house on it, 100% serious.

Ok now you definitely should feel stupid because no where in my post did I give any indication that I was "so confident he will be in the top 10 again." I said top 10 was attainable for him, and that top 15 was more likely. At the same time, him going into further decline wouldn't surprise me either.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I like his fighting style, but Hewitt just can't seem to come through at the crucial moments of late. I would like to see him in a SF for a change up, and know he'd get cheered like crazy for doing so...but it would be a true long shot.

P.S. Is_______ really someone else?? The hating, trolling style seems awfully similar to that person on the "Federer told Novak's family "be quiet" thread the other day...

tacou
04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Hewitt hasn't shown much promise lately and to assume he could challenge Nadal over 5 sets, even at Wimbledon, is preposterous.

deme08
04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
You never know, Hewitt might pull an Agassi in his late career, which is in the next few years.

edmondsm
04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe if they end up actually speeding up the courts at the Aussie Open then he has a pretty good shot there. He can feed off the crowd. But he's a low seed now at the slams so he's always going to be running into tough players early on. A run to the semis of any slam at this point would be surprising for me.

Babb
04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I hope so. Hewitt is a favorite of mine.

Breaker
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
No I dont feel at all stupid, all the matches you mentioned were almost a year ago and hes been getting worse everyday for the past 3 years, although you try and draw positives from them he still lost all but one of them and hes worse now than he was then.....if your so confident he will be in the top 10 again though I'll bet my house vs. your house on it, 100% serious and that goes for anyone of you Hewitt fanboy idiots.

Hewitt will be top 10 again in the next year or so when he starts playing tournaments consistently again.

And about the slam semi. If Jonas Bjorkman could make a slam semi at 34 years old, Hewitt has many oppourtunities at 27. He has a few years left and he has shown that he has the game to take a slam. There are some good runs left in him yet.

Tempest344
05-01-2008, 01:52 AM

I guess you haven't realised that everyone goes for someone and you've just got to deal with it

If you get annoyed by these threads so much then don't read them
posting negative cr@p doesn't help either

mrDamien
05-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Hewitt will be top 10 again in the next year or so when he starts playing tournaments consistently again.

And about the slam semi. If Jonas Bjorkman could make a slam semi at 34 years old, Hewitt has many oppourtunities at 27. He has a few years left and he has shown that he has the game to take a slam. There are some good runs left in him yet.

I second you, bro. Hewitt will make a comeback and be part of Top 10. He has a lot to show on the court.

flyer
05-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Bjorkman had the dream draw of the century, which in any given tournament is possable in theory.....if you really beleive Hewitt will be in the top 10 again though Id be more than happy to bet my house on it, 100% serious.

Secondly, is there anybody not from Australia that thinks Hewitt with either make another slam semi or reenter the top 10?

hewitt20
05-01-2008, 07:46 PM
with hewitt any thing can happen he is such a fighter. But he has to work so hard for evey point and with his seeding sitting at 20 he has so many tough matches, he is not young any more so his body does not recover as fast. He is still my favorite player. COME ON LEYTON!!!!!!!

Tempest344
05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Bjorkman had the dream draw of the century, which in any given tournament is possable in theory.....if you really beleive Hewitt will be in the top 10 again though Id be more than happy to bet my house on it, 100% serious.

Secondly, is there anybody not from Australia that thinks Hewitt with either make another slam semi or reenter the top 10?

not on here apparently
get outta here troll

flyer
05-01-2008, 08:18 PM
not on here apparently
get outta here troll

troll? what are you talking about, you might disagree with me but thats no grounds to call me a troll, but since you decided to name call, you get out of here *d*ot

superman1
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
You never know, Hewitt might pull an Agassi in his late career, which is in the next few years.

Only difference is that Agassi even when he was low in the ranks would come out of nowhere and win a Masters title or a Slam. Hewitt is down in the dumps not because he doesn't care, but because he's just not good enough anymore.

Tempest344
05-01-2008, 08:39 PM
troll? what are you talking about, you might disagree with me but thats no grounds to call me a troll, but since you decided to name call, you get out of here *d*ot

I don't really care
acutally If you like or dislike Hewitt
go for whoever you want

the past few hewitt threads there have been you have been there just posting negative cr$p constantly that is pointless and just annoys others in other words..trolling

mrDamien
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
with hewitt any thing can happen he is such a fighter. But he has to work so hard for evey point and with his seeding sitting at 20 he has so many tough matches, he is not young any more so his body does not recover as fast. He is still my favorite player. COME ON LEYTON!!!!!!!

I second you too. You're totally right. Hewitt such a strong and good fighter on court. C'mon boy.

flyer
05-02-2008, 06:56 AM
I don't really care
acutally If you like or dislike Hewitt
go for whoever you want

the past few hewitt threads there have been you have been there just posting negative cr$p constantly that is pointless and just annoys others in other words..trolling

I dont dislike Hewitt, I like watching him play and I think hes a cool guy, I just know hes not all that good anymore, the only part that annoys people is that im right and they dont want to face the reality that Hewitt stinks, thats not trolling though, by that argument i could say you guys are trolling posting ridiculous wishes about a player thats way past his prime and it annoys me

illkhiboy
05-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I dont dislike Hewitt, I like watching him play and I think hes a cool guy, I just know hes not all that good anymore, the only part that annoys people is that im right and they dont want to face the reality that Hewitt stinks, thats not trolling though, by that argument i could say you guys are trolling posting ridiculous wishes about a player thats way past his prime and it annoys me

I think Hewitt was playing better tennis last US summer than he was in 2005 when he was ranked second. I just think relative to the other players, he is past his prime. And the part about him being his prime, relative to others or not, is something we can all agree on. Will he make another Slam semi-final? That's indeed hard to imagine. But strangers things have happened. That is something any reasonable person would acknowledge. The reason you come across as a troll is:

a) You write in an arrogant fashion. Name-calling people you don't agree with. You seem like a nice guy in real life who doesn't quite understand the sort of impact words can have.

b) You said
"no there is absolutely no way"

No way? Yes there is a way.

Alexio92
05-02-2008, 08:17 AM
He will make the semi's of FO this year imo

Jon Rudy
05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I hope I'm wrong because I enjoy watching his matches, but I think he's on the tail end of his career, and it would take some extremely hot tennis and a somewhat lucky draw for Hewitt to get back to a grand slam semifinal.

He doesn't look like he has that same passion and fire he once had, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing because he's probably happy with his wife and kid. But that competitiveness that was his main weapon (a lethal combination with his top-notch speed) has gone down a notch. I'm sure he still wants to win, but it's not going to be the end of the world if he loses, it would seem.

I think that mentality that "I'm going to be here at the end of the match - will you" bulldog-mentality just isn't there anymore, so unless he gets a wide open draw it's going to be hard to will his way past opponents when that will has softened.

Magix
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
He will make the semi's of FO this year imo
Bloody ***** stirrer... :lol:

I hope he can make at least 1 more Slam semi! I also hope he can win at least 1 more Slam.

Yup, I'm an Aussie. And I'm not saying he can, but I HOPE he can. Lleyton just ain't that good anymore...

NamRanger
05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
his strokes no longer have any sting to them, his forehand used to be a weapon, now it's not

flyer
05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
I think Hewitt was playing better tennis last US summer than he was in 2005 when he was ranked second. I just think relative to the other players, he is past his prime. And the part about him being his prime, relative to others or not, is something we can all agree on. Will he make another Slam semi-final? That's indeed hard to imagine. But strangers things have happened. That is something any reasonable person would acknowledge. The reason you come across as a troll is:

a) You write in an arrogant fashion. Name-calling people you don't agree with. You seem like a nice guy in real life who doesn't quite understand the sort of impact words can have.

b) You said
"no there is absolutely no way"

No way? Yes there is a way.

OK fair enough, sorry if I offended anybody, really I am, notice I was not the one who name called initially though....

still idk how you guys can even imagine Hewitt having any kind of impact on the game, when he was winning his game was based on speed an consistency, now hes neither fast or consistent and hes never really been good at anything else, hes maxed out on his talent and certainly over achieved, so you guys should just be content with that and give it up already its been years

illkhiboy
05-03-2008, 02:33 AM
OK fair enough, sorry if I offended anybody, really I am, notice I was not the one who name called initially though....

still idk how you guys can even imagine Hewitt having any kind of impact on the game, when he was winning his game was based on speed an consistency, now hes neither fast or consistent and hes never really been good at anything else, hes maxed out on his talent and certainly over achieved, so you guys should just be content with that and give it up already its been years

No worries man. :D

I 'm not even a Hewitt fan. I 'm the guy that rooted for him to lose everytime he played when we was at the top. I just couldn't stand his defensive-minded game.

I'm just saying the guy still has game. More than that, he has a champion's heart so to speak. Agassi once said: "..You leave a lot of room for a champion's heart and mind." So I certainly don't expect a player with the same physical gifts as Hewitt does to make a mark on a Slam. But Lleyton's been at the top. He knows what it takes to beat the Sampras-es, Roddicks and Agassis at the biggest stages of the world.

ClubHoUno
05-03-2008, 02:40 AM
One word: NO!

ufg8r
05-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I dont see it happening.