PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadal be in the top 20 when he is 25 years old?

BigT
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
The thread was renamed so all the Nadal lovers won't list his stats and show their class with namecalling........just answer the question!

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 12:56 PM
No.

10 characters

Nadal_Freak
04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Easily. Nadal has not been extended in many matches this year. It all comes down to luck. Anyone can all of a sudden get hit with the injury bug. Joachim Johannson has one of the least grueling styles out there but things didn't work out for him.

miniRafa386
04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
depends on if he gets injured. the way hes playin now is sure to at least keep him in the top 10, but its a matter if hes gonna keep gettin injured.

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Joachim Johannson has one of the least grueling styles out there

Tell that to his shoulder.

johnny ballgame
04-29-2008, 01:03 PM
He'll be 22 yrs old in a month. So, will he be in the top 20 at the 2011 French Open? I'll say yes, no worse than #4. Fed will be long gone, Djoker will be up there, as well as some people we haven't thought of.

Stchamps
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
He'll be 22 yrs old in a month. So, will he be in the top 20 at the 2011 French Open? I'll say yes, no worse than #4. Fed will be long gone, Djoker will be up there, as well as some people we haven't thought of.

Fed's got like 10 more years at #1!

johnny ballgame
04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Fed's got like 10 more years at #1!

10 weeks... maybe!

Nadal_Freak
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Tell that to his shoulder.
Well Nadal doesn't have to worry about serving too hard. ;)

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Nadal has suprised me before. But I have to notice that there aren't a lot of players that play like Nadal, as much as Nadal, and make it past the age of 25. The ones that do, weren't talking about foot injuries and taping their knees up in their early twenties. Just my opinion, but I tend agree with Agassi when he says that "Nadal is writing checks that his body can't cash".

Aabye
04-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Outside of some unforseeable injury, I think Nadal will easily be in the top twenty. If this had been about the top ten, maybe I would have hesitated, but he's in the top twenty hardcourt players, and he's good on grass too.

edmondsm, you make some good points, but I look at someone like Hewitt, and even he had been floating around the top twenty at 25, if I recall correctly.

zagor
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
10 weeks... maybe!

10 weeks,like two and a half months? That's a little bit of wishful thinking on your part,not saying it's not possible but it's the worst case scenario for Federer.To answer the OP question,I think Nadal will still be atleast top 5 in my opinion.

gj011
04-29-2008, 01:14 PM
BigT is obviously trolling. One thread was not enough :rolleyes:. Probably ninman or some similar ******* with a new green name, trying to make Nadal fans angry.

zagor
04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Outside of some unforseeable injury, I think Nadal will easily be in the top twenty. If this had been about the top ten, maybe I would have hesitated, but he's in the top twenty hardcourt players, and he's good on grass too.

edmondsm, you make some good points, but I look at someone like Hewitt, and even he had been floating around the top twenty at 25, if I recall correctly.

Nadal in the top 20 hardcourts? I think he is top 5 easily on hardcourt and for now second on grass.

Nadal_Freak
04-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Nadal has suprised me before. But I have to notice that there aren't a lot of players that play like Nadal, as much as Nadal, and make it past the age of 25. The ones that do, weren't talking about foot injuries and taping their knees up in their early twenties. Just my opinion, but I tend agree with Agassi when he says that "Nadal is writing checks that his body can't cash".
Who else plays like Nadal? Muster is the only one I can think of and he made it pretty far. Nadal usually makes you do the running on clay.

Aabye
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Nadal in the top 20 hardcourts? I think he is top 5 easily on hardcourt and for now second on grass.

Sorry, I guess I phrased that wrong. I meant when he is twenty-five, I think he will still be in the top twenty of hardcourters, and his grass game won't fall off too much either.

johnny ballgame
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
10 weeks,like two and a half months? That's a little bit of wishful thinking on your part,not saying it's not possible but it's the worst case scenario for Federer.

Yeah, I was partly kidding. But if Nadal stays hot and Fed fails to defend Rome final, Hamburg title, RG final, and Wimbledon title... it will be interesting.

r2473
04-29-2008, 01:34 PM
The thread was renamed so all the Nadal lovers won't list his stats and show their class with namecalling........just answer the question!

He is going to retire in 2 days. I read that somewhere. Should hit the papers in a week or so.

BigT
04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
BigT is obviously trolling. One thread was not enough :rolleyes:. Probably ninman or some similar ******* with a new green name, trying to make Nadal fans angry.

Not at all bud. I think he's a great player and great for the game. But I can still be objective on his style of play.

edberg505
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I was partly kidding. But if Nadal stays hot and Fed fails to defend Rome final, Hamburg title, RG final, and Wimbledon title... it will be interesting.

Federer isn't defending a Rome final. He's only defending the round of 16 there.

joeri888
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
He'll be 22 yrs old in a month. So, will he be in the top 20 at the 2011 French Open? I'll say yes, no worse than #4. Fed will be long gone, Djoker will be up there, as well as some people we haven't thought of.Djokovic and Nadal will be defenitely top 5 in three years, I agree. Don't know if Federer will be long gone though. If he can find the motivation to continue playin tennis, I think he'll still be a top 10 player.

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Who else plays like Nadal? Muster is the only one I can think of and he made it pretty far. Nadal usually makes you do the running on clay.

Hewitt, Santoro. There aren't many because most people don't make it very long when they run that much. If clay was all Nadal was playing on then I would bet he would still be slam winner at 25. I think the hardcourts are really hard on his body. During the run up to and including last year's USO, I think he was really hurting. For most people the early 20's are the last time that their body is made of rubber.

drakulie
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd have to say, "NO". I think Nadal will have retired by then.

Iced_jacob
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Another no-sense poll...

ruski07
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
definately unless like alot of you have said, injuries taking him out of the game earlie...theres alot of ups and downs in tennis careers, but i think he'll still b top 10 if not top 5

CanadianChic
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Nadal will be in the top three when he's twenty-five. I'm not sure about number one just yet, but he'll at least retain his hold.

The balls in your court.
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Another no-sense poll...

Is it really? It makes perfect sense....you just need to read between the lines.

This is simply yet another I hate Nadal thread. This happens during every clay court season and the closer nadal gets to #1 the more of this sort of stuff will be be posted. Its perfectly logical.

On the flip side right after wimbledon and the hard court season starts you wil start seeing threads about how Nadal is allwashed up. Its like clockwork....yawn.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Absolutely. He´s turning 22 this summer and he´s gonna keep dominating the clay for another 3 years minimum. Hewitt never dominated anything. Plus he´s not the athlete Nadal is and doesn´t hit his groundstrokes like Nadal either. So bad comparison. As much as the haters wish for it, Nadal will be around. So keep hoping kids. Keep hoping.

CanadianChic
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't think they all hate him as much as fear and envy him. He has the potential to knock Fed clear off his path and fights like a warrior against the rest of the would-be #2's. ;) Besides, women love him to death!

lambielspins
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
He will be at worst top 5 I would guess. If the poll was when he was 29 that might provoke more thought.

BigT
04-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Not at all bud. I think he's a great player and great for the game. But I can still be objective on his style of play.

did I studder?

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
No.

10 characters

http://www.wortfilter.de/kurios/0701/troll-ex/index-Dateien/troll_spray.jpg

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
http://www.wortfilter.de/kurios/0701/troll-ex/index-Dateien/troll_spray.jpg

That might be the first time a one-word answer has been accused of trolling. Congrats.

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Absolutely. He´s turning 22 this summer and he´s gonna keep dominating the clay for another 3 years minimum. Hewitt never dominated anything. Plus he´s not the athlete Nadal is and doesn´t hit his groundstrokes like Nadal either. So bad comparison. As much as the haters wish for it, Nadal will be around. So keep hoping kids. Keep hoping.

It is a bad comparison. Because Hewitt wasn't wrapping his knees in tape at the age of 21.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 05:27 PM
That might be the first time a one-word answer has been accused of trolling. Congrats.

Because your answer and the ones trolls post defy sense, explain nothing and show a dislike for the person. Which you have done in previous posts. So, I thank you for making it obvious that you are. So congrats on that.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 05:29 PM
It is a bad comparison. Because Hewitt wasn't wrapping his knees in tape at the age of 21.

So? Nadal has weapons he can go to, Hewitt doesn´t and never did. Besides, the tape are a precaution. Like when Hewitt wears the ASO ankle braces on both his feet. He was wearing ´em since he was a teen.

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Because your answer and the ones trolls post defy sense, explain nothing and show a dislike for the person. Which you have done in previous posts. So, I thank you for making it obvious that you are. So congrats on that.

The OP said, "just answer the question". So I did. Sorry if I didn't meet the the maximum word requirement.

So? Nadal has weapons he can go to, Hewitt doesn´t and never did. Besides, the tape are a precaution. Like when Hewitt wears the ASO ankle braces on both his feet. He was wearing ´em since he was a teen.

If I'm not mistaken, Nadal has/has had tendinitious in his knees, and was suffering pretty bad during the US Open series last year. I hope the tape works, I'm just saying these things don't usually get better as you age.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
The OP said, "just answer the question". So I did. Sorry if I didn't meet the the maximum word requirement.
For ¨no¨you could´ve just voted it along with the other 6 who voted the same.

If I'm not mistaken, Nadal has/has had tendinitious in his knees, and was suffering pretty bad during the US Open series last year. I hope the tape works, I'm just saying these things don't usually get better as you age.

Things don´t tend to get better as you age, but we´re talking about 22 yrs old and 25 yrs old. Unless he gets so injured he can´t play anymore he won´t fall off the top 20 like that. Looking at current rankings Hewitt is in the top 20 and he´s not nearly the player Nadal is. But given your thought provoking answer of simply ¨no¨no one would know what your reason is outside of the fact that you just flat out hate Nadal which we already know.

tumalow2
04-29-2008, 06:06 PM
biggest issue is injuries

with those unorthodox strokes and plus him getting older i think injuries could possibly hold him back a little bit

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
For ¨no¨you could´ve just voted it along with the other 6 who voted the same.

Point taken, but I have as much a right to have my opinion front and center as the next guy. You are the one who is trolling for an argument here. Why don't you stop ridiculing me on my forum etiquette. I'm really trying to have a civilized conversation with you. Not suprisingly it is very, very difficult.

Things don´t tend to get better as you age, but we´re talking about 22 yrs old and 25 yrs old. Unless he gets so injured he can´t play anymore he won´t fall off the top 20 like that. Looking at current rankings Hewitt is in the top 20 and he´s not nearly the player Nadal is. But given your thought provoking answer of simply ¨no¨no one would know what your reason is outside of the fact that you just flat out hate Nadal which we already know.

Despite what you believe I have tremendous respect for Nadal and like him more everyday. You are the one who gets his panties all wadded up at the slightest hint of negativity directed at your night in shining armor. I'm just trying to be objective here. There is a gap in the abilities between Hewitt and Nadal, but that doesn't make Nadal nagging injuries any less prevelant. He's had foot problems too so when I see him hobbling around getting spanked by Ferrer at last years USO I have to think that 3 years from now the situation will not be better and most likely worse.

lambielspins
04-29-2008, 06:51 PM

Good example on Hewitt. Even Hewitt is in the top 20 at 27 years old. Even at his peak Nadal is clearly a better player then Hewitt was, even though Hewitt himself was a great player of course, however Nadal is clearly superior to even peak Hewitt. Hewitt is clearly not at his peak. Some say Nadal will get burnt out, injured, lose a step, by his mid 20s. Well even if that happened when you look at Hewitt he is clearly worn down, burnt out both physically and mentally, lost a step, all those things. So it is not like those things did not happen to him. Yet despite all that he is still in the top 20. So how on earth anyone could think Nadal wont be even in the top 20 at 25 is crazy.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Point taken, but I have as much a right to have my opinion front and center as the next guy. You are the one who is trolling for an argument here. Why don't you stop ridiculing me on my forum etiquette. I'm really trying to have a civilized conversation with you. Not suprisingly it is very, very difficult. .

Now you know how I feel having a conversation with you. You do have an opinion and you can use it, but there´s also stupid opinions based on simply hating a player, which is what you do with Nadal. Maybe not as bad as ninman but it´s there. The only reason I can really think of is simply that he beats Fed and denies him the French. Not because he´s arrogant, like Joker. Or a jerk, like Roddick. He´s always taking his losses on the chin, always complimentary of Fed and he gets along with him just fine. So you could say whatever you want about ¨style¨, but if he sucked or never could damage Fed he wouldn´t even be on your radar. Be happy a good person and a nice guy like Nadal is beating Fed and not Roddick or Djokovic.

Despite what you believe I have tremendous respect for Nadal and like him more everyday. You are the one who gets his panties all wadded up at the slightest hint of negativity directed at your night in shining armor. I'm just trying to be objective here. There is a gap in the abilities between Hewitt and Nadal, but that doesn't make Nadal nagging injuries any less prevelant. He's had foot problems too so when I see him hobbling around getting spanked by Ferrer at last years USO I have to think that 3 years from now the situation will not be better and most likely worse.

Yeah it got worse alright, he hobbled his way to the final of Paris and the SF of Shanghai after that. Then he also hobbled his way to the Aussie SF in January. So yeah, it did get worse indeed. :roll:
I know what I believe and given your putdowns of Nadal I know you´re lying about having ¨tremendous respect¨ for Nadal. Maybe you would as long as he doesn´t beat Fed or get in his way of achieving something big. Nadal had an ankle injury in 2005 that kept him out of the Aussie 2006 and everyone said the same thing you´re saying now. Oh, he won´t be around much longer and it´s only a matter of time before Fed wins the French and Nadal is no longer a threat. Well, here we are midway through 2008 and he´s still a threat and still #2.

I don´t think the situation will get worse in 3 years, maybe it stays the same. Everyone predicted Roddick´s arm would fall off because of his unorthodox service motion, this was 2003. We´re in 2008 and he´s still serving big and still hovering around the top 5. So where did all those comments go? I thought his arm could only get worse with time. I´m saying, your prediction is more based on bias, hope and dislike more than you admit. Much more than your ¨objectivity¨.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Good example on Hewitt. Even Hewitt is in the top 20 at 27 years old. Even at his peak Nadal is clearly a better player then Hewitt was, even though Hewitt himself was a great player of course, however Nadal is clearly superior to even peak Hewitt. Hewitt is clearly not at his peak. Some say Nadal will get burnt out, injured, lose a step, by his mid 20s. Well even if that happened when you look at Hewitt he is clearly worn down, burnt out both physically and mentally, lost a step, all those things. So it is not like those things did not happen to him. Yet despite all that he is still in the top 20. So how on earth anyone could think Nadal wont be even in the top 20 at 25 is crazy.

Thank you, you´re clearly making more sense in here than someone else.

quest01
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
It depends if his knees and ankles hold up after a few years. Nadal plays a very physical style on court and I wouldn't be surprised if he suffers burnout by the age of 30. He will have to change his style of play as he gets older or he won't last long because he's going to suffer all sorts of problems.

Fries-N-Gravy
04-29-2008, 07:41 PM
i really think as he gets older he will start to end points faster. He has been improving on faster surfaces and theres no reason to believe that he wouldn't learn from his losses on hardcourt due to his playing style. imagine if he flattened out his shots even a little. maybe get some advice on that serve of his.

lambielspins
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Thank you, you´re clearly making more sense in here than someone else.

Well we both know it is alot of wishful thinking on the part of this "someone else". I think some people truly believe if they hope something bad enough and for long enough, it will come true.

edmondsm
04-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Now you know how I feel having a conversation with you. You do have an opinion and you can use it, but there´s also stupid opinions based on simply hating a player, which is what you do with Nadal. Maybe not as bad as ninman but it´s there. The only reason I can really think of is simply that he beats Fed and denies him the French. Not because he´s arrogant, like Joker. Or a jerk, like Roddick. He´s always taking his losses on the chin, always complimentary of Fed and he gets along with him just fine. So you could say whatever you want about ¨style¨, but if he sucked or never could damage Fed he wouldn´t even be on your radar. Be happy a good person and a nice guy like Nadal is beating Fed and not Roddick or Djokovic.

I have done nothing but back up my opinions with what I observe. Sure, I'm biased, nothing wrong with that. This is just a sport. Don't you ever think that your opinion on this subject might be clouded by your fandom of Nadal?

Yeah it got worse alright, he hobbled his way to the final of Paris and the SF of Shanghai after that. Then he also hobbled his way to the Aussie SF in January. So yeah, it did get worse indeed. :roll:

He got some rest. Doesn't mean it won't come back.

I know what I believe and given your putdowns of Nadal I know you´re lying about having ¨tremendous respect¨ for Nadal.

I would like you to show me these "putdowns". You seem like you are searching for an enemy. I'm not it homey.

Maybe you would as long as he doesn´t beat Fed or get in his way of achieving something big. Nadal had an ankle injury in 2005 that kept him out of the Aussie 2006 and everyone said the same thing you´re saying now. Oh, he won´t be around much longer and it´s only a matter of time before Fed wins the French and Nadal is no longer a threat. Well, here we are midway through 2008 and he´s still a threat and still #2.

Again, just putting words in my mouth. Please tell me where I professed my love for Federer. Why are you sitting there trying to come up with reasons for me being this evil Nadal hating boyfriend of Roger Federer.

I don´t think the situation will get worse in 3 years, maybe it stays the same. Everyone predicted Roddick´s arm would fall off because of his unorthodox service motion, this was 2003. We´re in 2008 and he´s still serving big and still hovering around the top 5. So where did all those comments go? I thought his arm could only get worse with time. I´m saying, your prediction is more based on bias, hope and dislike more than you admit. Much more than your ¨objectivity¨.[/QUOTE]

Well you tamper with my rational again. So I'll make it really clear this time:

Nadal has suffered from knee and foot problems. People might have SAID that Roddick's arm was going to fall off, but Roddick has never had even the slightest hint of arm problems. The same goes for Hewitt. You can't say that Nadal's injuries are inconsiquencial just because Hewitt is still around. They are two different people and this has nothing to do with talent. Nadal has had serious problems with legs. And again, Roddick and Hewitt have never had these nagging injuries.

Morrissey
04-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I have done nothing but back up my opinions with what I observe. Sure, I'm biased, nothing wrong with that. This is just a sport. Don't you ever think that your opinion on this subject might be clouded by your fandom of Nadal?

Did you ever think about the very same thing about yourself with the opposite for Nadal?

Since the USO it hasn´t come back.

I would like you to show me these "putdowns". You seem like you are searching for an enemy. I'm not it homey.

You´re gonna have to give me some time to go through your 2,722 posts, but I´m sure i´ll find them in abundance, homey.

Again, just putting words in my mouth. Please tell me where I professed my love for Federer. Why are you sitting there trying to come up with reasons for me being this evil Nadal hating boyfriend of Roger Federer.

Ever since you said Fed would win the FO and said that Nadal won´t even be in the top 20 in 3 years without any thought or reason.

Well you tamper with my rational again. So I'll make it really clear this time:

Nadal has suffered from knee and foot problems. People might have SAID that Roddick's arm was going to fall off, but Roddick has never had even the slightest hint of arm problems. The same goes for Hewitt. You can't say that Nadal's injuries are inconsiquencial just because Hewitt is still around. They are two different people and this has nothing to do with talent. Nadal has had serious problems with legs. And again, Roddick and Hewitt have never had these nagging injuries.

Last I checked Hewitt didn´t play a single match for the rest of 2007 after last year´s US Open because of ankle and leg injury. Hewitt has had ankle problems in the past and so has Roddick, especially in the early days when he kept tripping into himself and retired vs Hewitt at the French in 2002 and retired vs Ljubicic at the Aussie in 2002.

AM28143
04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
It's difficult to say, since it's so far in the future (Nadal is about to turn 22, right?), but, if I had to guess, I'd say Nadal will remain in the top 20. I'm 70 percent sure.

-Adam :)

Leublu tennis
04-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Can you name some of the players who play like Nadal and have retired by 25. Borg? I thought he retired at 26. Any others? And I don't mean #589, some top 10 or top 20 players.

superman1
04-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm surprised. During the clay/grass season, usually you'll see threads like "Is Nadal the GOAT?" "Is Nadal the true #1?" Then during the hard court season, it's "When will Nadal retire?" "Is Nadal finished?"

The hard courts are what kills him, so let's see how he does this year. Sooner or later it will catch up to him, hopefully it will be later.

veroniquem
04-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Fed's fans crack me up. They post things like Fed will still be no1 in 10 years and Rafa will be out of the top 20 in a couple of years (they're talking about a guy who has broken all records of number of weeks at no2 by a landslide ). It's like whatever makes them happy goes even if it is absurd. (by the way they were already making those predictions in 2006, so if we were to take them seriously Nadal would ALREADY be out of the top 10. Reality check badly needed here!)

johnny ballgame
04-30-2008, 05:10 AM

In which case he'll rest again. This isn't difficult to figure out.

edmondsm
04-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Did you ever think about the very same thing about yourself with the opposite for Nadal?

Isn't that what I freely admitted? I said "I'm biased".

Ever since you said Fed would win the FO and said that Nadal won´t even be in the top 20 in 3 years without any thought or reason.

I gave you plenty of reasons for my opinion. You can say I didn't but it doesn't change the truth.

Last I checked Hewitt didn´t play a single match for the rest of 2007 after last year´s US Open because of ankle and leg injury. Hewitt has had ankle problems in the past and so has Roddick, especially in the early days when he kept tripping into himself and retired vs Hewitt at the French in 2002 and retired vs Ljubicic at the Aussie in 2002.

Fair enough. I hadn't heard of these ankle problems. Roddick is a clumsy guy. Both Roddick and Hewitt have been pretty consistently healthy so that is good reason to believe that Nadal can do the same. This was always just a hunch of mine, so you can calm down.

Can you name some of the players who play like Nadal and have retired by 25. Borg? I thought he retired at 26. Any others? And I don't mean #589, some top 10 or top 20 players.

Go back and read the title of the thread. Does it say "retired" anywhere? Please if your going to make a point, have the common sense to make it about the discussion and not just invent your own debate. I'm pretty sure that is the definition of trolling.

How about Michael Chang? After his 26th birthday he began a freefall and was out of the top 20 by the end of the year, never to return. Jim Courier? We all know that he was done winning slams by the time he was 23. By 25 he was basically a non-factor at the majors and was on his way out of the top 20. Although he managed to hang around. Both these guys played a bruising physical style that is similar, not the same, as Nadal.

In which case he'll rest again. This isn't difficult to figure out.

He might have to rest longer next time. And then longer. Like I said, anyone who has gone through there 20's knows that the body just stops recovering like it used to. It's just speculation and some people take extreme offense to this mere hypothetical standpoint I've taken.

bluetrain4
04-30-2008, 09:25 AM
He turns 22 this years, so that's only 3 more years, so I would day yes. Whether he's in the top 5, is an entirely different question.

His game style doesn't lend itself to a long career on top, and winning slams into his 30s, but, obviously, no one can be sure. Like Hewitt, if he loses a step, his defense changes and his game loses its effectiveness to some degree. That said, Nadal actually has harder, flater shots at his disposal, so he, in theory could shorten points as he gets older, and thereby extend his time at the top.

BigT
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Maybe I should have asked top 10, cuz looking at the rankings now and seeing names like Robredo and Monaco makes it look like you don't need any spectacular results to be top 20...

drakulie
04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Morissey, love your avatar. That is an awesome photo.

BigT
01-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I wrote this almost two years ago, and its more and more valid.

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Lol I'm new but it seems everyone on this site in 08 is now banned

bruce38
01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
I think Nadal would quit tennis if he fell out of the top 10 because of his huge ego.

rnrockz1
01-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Knowing Rafa, he'll come back this year because lack of points to defend, and his career will be back; so yes he will be in the top 20 for the next few years. (NO, HE DOESNT HAVE AN EGO!)

BigServer1
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Knowing Rafa, he'll come back this year because lack of points to defend, and his career will be back; so yes he will be in the top 20 for the next few years. (NO, HE DOESNT HAVE AN EGO!)

Uh...Nadal is a nice guy and a great player, but of course he has an ego. All top players do. If you don't, it's tough to have success.

The big issue for Rafa is the points he needs to defend up until the FO. If he's injured/not 100%/taking time off, he's screwed until the French Open/Wimbledon.

kishnabe
01-26-2010, 04:33 PM
He can still be in the top 20 for sure when he is 25. WHen he is30 I don't think so. Nadal has a few good pushes in him!

dana
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
I say no. I think the way Nadal plays is too hard on his knees. I don't think his knees will hold out for him to continue to play at the top level for 3 more years. I say that with great sadness. I hope he can continue.

C++ Primer
01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
surely top 19, not top 20

joeri888
01-27-2010, 05:01 AM
If he isnt, hes probably retired. I think that Rafa, if hes motivated, will do well on clay for many years to come.. No problem.

namelessone
01-27-2010, 05:11 AM
If he isnt, hes probably retired. I think that Rafa, if hes motivated, will do well on clay for many years to come.. No problem.

Very big if.

mandy01
01-27-2010, 05:14 AM
I think Rafa IS motivated.As the clay season approaches he'll only get stronger imo because no matter how much he struggles on any other surface, clay is always where he'll feel very comfortable and barring a really bad day at the office he should do well throughout the season which can help him build up his confidence eventually.

edmondsm
01-30-2010, 02:04 AM
My God what a blast from the past. I got reamed by Morrisey for suggesting that injuries might send Nadal out of the top 20 by the time he was 25. Honestly, I don't feel like it was a very unrealistic assumption. Especially considering the last 9 months.

Cesc Fabregas
01-30-2010, 02:08 AM
My God what a blast from the past. I got reamed by Morrisey for suggesting that injuries might send Nadal out of the top 20 by the time he was 25. Honestly, I don't feel like it was a very unrealistic assumption. Especially considering the last 9 months.

If Nadal is still playing at 25 he will easily be top 20, its not like he is getting knocked out early at every event.

edmondsm
01-30-2010, 02:21 AM
If Nadal is still playing at 25 he will easily be top 20, its not like he is getting knocked out early at every event.

I agree. If Nadal can find an equilibrium with his schedule and get his legs in shape he will be ok. He could have 2 or 3 years of slam winning tennis left in him. However, just because he's not getting knocked out early NOW doesn't mean that will be the case in a years time. Look at where we were a year ago. Nadal was the holder of the FO, Wimbledon, and AO titles. Seems like a lot has changed eh?

P_Agony
01-30-2010, 02:25 AM
Of course Nadal will be. He'll be top 5 as well - he's too good of a player not to. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal conquers #2 again soon and perhaps even #1 in the future. He just needs some clay matches to rebuild his confidence.

malakas
01-30-2010, 02:28 AM

exactly.ALSO there's the option he's not retired but coming back from injury.But if he's healthy I can see him in top 20.Maybe even top10-15.

edmondsm
01-30-2010, 02:31 AM

10 weeks... maybe!

FAILED!!!

I wrote this almost two years ago, and its more and more valid.

Turns out, good thread.