PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Suggestions

tiptopperoo
01-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Ok guys, sorry to do this to u all again, but I need some help.
I'm a 20 yr old Australian guy returning from a shoulder injury and I need some new racquets.

My main problem is I always like racquets that are too heavy for me ie. I love the LM prestige mid because it feels so damn good to volley with or any kind of touch shot for that matter, but I cant hit a groundy with it to save myself (or smash, but I served great with it :s)

My game is basically big hitting, I either hit my opponent or myself off the court. I'm an all courter, good serve like to volley, one handed backhand.
I previously had most success with the iRadical (thinking maybe the LM Rad?) I then moved to the 300G but found it lacked in the weight even after I added some lead I just couldn't get any penetration with it (maybe it was just me)

So yeah what can ppl recommend from my extremely unhelpful info I've supplied.
BTW although I sound a lil bit stupid I actually play a decent lvl of tennis here in OZ. love my tournies and play grade 4 pennant in the winter.

Thanks ppl

OnyxZ28
01-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Have you tried the LM Prestige Midplus?

bertrevert
01-11-2005, 01:51 AM
the 300G but found it lacked in the weight even after I added some lead I just couldn't get any penetration with it (maybe it was just me)

Totally agree with ya tiptipperoo about the 300g. I've added stacks of lead but really it's perhaps better to start with a heavier stick I think now :(

I'm going to be trying the LM Rad MP for similar reasons. I demoed the LM Prestige MP and found it heavy but great when you connect on groundstrokes.

There's meant to be a new 200g coming (I used the MW 200g). Have you demoed anything recently? Do you mainly play singles or doubles?

AndrewD
01-11-2005, 02:01 AM
tiptopperoo, nice to see another aussie on the site.

I've tried the LM Rad MidPlus and have to say it was a great frame. Lovely control, nice spin (although didn't like it so much for slice), nice power on the serve (but not overwhelming), good touch at net and nicely weighted. I hit semi-western on both sides (plus good slice backhand) and I felt I could hit as hard as I liked from the baseline without worrying about hitting long. Did find it a bit too powerful at net if you dont put a bit of work on your volleys. The only down-side, which Ive complained about here before, is that it's bloody expensive in Australia.

Im in Queensland (a native Melbournian though) and haven't seen it for less than $300 and as high as $399. Not sure if you're in Melbourne or Sydney (assumed Melb,as you mentioned winter pennant) but if it is Melbourne you might find a better price through Prelli, Reynolds, Tension 24 or one of the other tennis shops.

Apart from that, it depends if you want a bit more control or if you're happy to live and die with power and stuff control. There's a lot of supporters here for the Babolat PD ( I found it too stiff and no touch at net). Its a high power frame although you need spin to keep it in.

One racquet I've been advised to look at, given I liked the LM Rad, is the Volkl Tour10MP. There's a few reviews on TW's site and its at a good price at the moment. Not a high power frame but apparently high in comfort, control and spin potential. Otherwise, there are a few new Wilsons you might like - nSix-One 95 for example.

Can I ask why you moved away from the i-radical? I was looking at that one myself so how does it play?

Serve-And-Volley
01-11-2005, 06:09 AM
I have a few suggestions: I think the Liquidmetal Radical MP or the Prestige Midplus would be good since you had a good experience with the Head Liquidmetal Prestige Mid. I also suggest my racquet to everyone: the Volkl Catapult 10. It sounds like it would be a good racquet for you, a hard hitting all-court player.

tiptopperoo
01-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all ur replys guys, Yes I tried the MP prestige, but it was also to heavy. I've tried the volkl tour 10 and reallylove it, so much great feel, but I just couldn't get the head thru on my serve. Does the LM Rad have a similr flexy feel to the prestige? I wouldn't expect as much of course but anything similar? I think I'll go demo one today. Thanks again guys, Also I hate PD's just hate em.

tiptopperoo
01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Another thin Andrew D, is too look to bhuy from here, or another online tennis site as they are always cheaper in the US. I like TW and also ************, but there service is not as good as TW but there postage is cheaper, so depending on what ur getting check them out. I currently can get 2 LM Rad's for 500. So I'll c what happens, all the big shops here Reynolds, Prelli, T24 will match except reynolds, which r rudely expensive.

counterpuncher
01-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Apart from TW, I would check www.*********.au and specify international instead of just Aus, you will be pleasantly surprised : )

OnyxZ28
01-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Hmm, if you can find one, a Ti.Classic or an i.Radical MP might be more in your tastes as far as weight is concerned. Nicely priced, too.

tiptopperoo
01-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Bert I love playing both singles and doubles. Me and my (extremely talented but dont tell him I said that) lil bro are a lethal pair. I did demo a HM 200G a while back and loved it off the ground but couldn't serve with it. I think maybe I really need to put on some muscle, but in the mean time just hit with an old I-Rad - then when I develpo my upper body more I can demo again and see what is working for me. Would ppl generally recomend using a heavier racquet if I think I can?